MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular Moog in ELP tribute... again...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Modular Moog in ELP tribute... again...
noddyspuncture
Hi folks,

I used my Modular Moog with my ELP tribute band last weekend.
Here's a video of ELP's "PIRATES"... the Modular only plays the part of the small 'mini' GX-1 keyboard.... still, I hope you like it... cool

umma gumma
wicked, as usual!

applause
gregae
Bravo Tom! applause applause applause
Flareless
thumbs up applause

Thanks for sharing!!!
jkjelec
Wow, just wow. One of my favorite songs, done excellently! Holy crap at 10:25-10:45! Please come to Boston! Dead Banana
MindMachine
I see no knives?

Awesome tune. Nice gravitas with the big old modular.
artieTwelve
Fun Fact, ELP always toured with two complete synth setups just in case one crapped out. One of them is now on display at the Moog factory in Asheville NC. If you're ever in town, stop in and take a look. Then stick around for the factory tour.
noddyspuncture
artieTwelve wrote:
Fun Fact, ELP always toured with two complete synth setups just in case one crapped out. One of them is now on display at the Moog factory in Asheville NC. If you're ever in town, stop in and take a look. Then stick around for the factory tour.

I don't think that's quite right... in fact they didn't even carry a spare L100 Hammond, his originals (a 240v L100 and a 120v L122) were patched up after each gig... and there was just the one Moog Modular... the one you mention on display is the only one.

However, Emo's keyboard roadie - 'Rocky' - may well have carried a spare module or two, in the same way that he carried spares for the 'L' - I shall ask him, but another full system...? No. In fact the Moog did 'crap out' on occasions... some of which were recorded on audience boots, and the show was halted whilst the Moog was fixed. Also the typhoon which wrecked everything before a gig in the USA... it is well documented that the Moog was stripped down and dried out - the show was cancelled and they returned at a later date to play...!
artieTwelve
noddyspuncture wrote:
artieTwelve wrote:

I don't think that's quite right... in fact they didn't even carry a spare L100 Hammond, his originals (a 240v L100 and a 120v L122) were patched up after each gig... and there was just the one Moog Modular... the one you mention on display is the only one.

However, Emo's keyboard roadie - 'Rocky' - may well have carried a spare module or two, in the same way that he carried spares for the 'L' - I shall ask him, but another full system...? No. In fact the Moog did 'crap out' on occasions... some of which were recorded on audience boots, and the show was halted whilst the Moog was fixed. Also the typhoon which wrecked everything before a gig in the USA... it is well documented that the Moog was stripped down and dried out - the show was cancelled and they returned at a later date to play...!

Thank you. I stand corrected. My information comes from the tour guide when I took the tour at the Moog factory. He said there were two. The one at Moog has a 10 inch or so TV monitor that I think did nothing but display waveforms. I kind of remember seeing this at a concert in 77, back when they toured with an orchestra, but that might just be wishful thinking.
noddyspuncture
artieTwelve wrote:
noddyspuncture wrote:
artieTwelve wrote:

Thank you. I stand corrected. My information comes from the tour guide when I took the tour at the Moog factory. He said there were two. The one at Moog has a 10 inch or so TV monitor that I think did nothing but display waveforms. I kind of remember seeing this at a concert in 77, back when they toured with an orchestra, but that might just be wishful thinking.

The one at Moog is one of the 'replica's'. Emo had a variety of screens over the years... the last one was a row of LED's in the shape of a waveform which lit up in sequence. When they built the 'replica's' they needed to make them all the same and would have needed to build replicas of that LED screen, so it was easier to change the one in Emo's to an LCD screen and install those LCD's in all of them. When Emo's was sold to the museum in New York the buyers asked for the old LED screen and put it back. It's the one with 'EMOVISION" written on it.

I suppose this now means that the 'replica's' aren't 100% replica's any more..!?

Anyway, the screen you saw in 1977 was an actual oscilloscope which varied the waveform according to the note played on the Moog.You can see it on videos - especially on some audience ones - from the time. The first, original one we see in photo's from back in 1973/74 comprised of a bulb with a tube around it. The tube had a few slots cut in it and it rotated slowly - giving the effect of a 'moving wave'. Then in '77 there was the 'scope' and finally in the late 80's - for the '3' tour I believe, the Moog was restored and the LED screen was added.

Hope this clears it up.... cool
artieTwelve
Quote:
Hope this clears it up....

It does. Your wealth of knowledge does this board (and ELP) credit. Thanks again.
noddyspuncture
artieTwelve wrote:
Quote:
Hope this clears it up....

It does. Your wealth of knowledge does this board (and ELP) credit. Thanks again.

Thank you..!
So, here's a great example of the '77 oscilloscope monitor.

If you watch from 8:48 - you can see the frequency being tracked... it's obviously not the final output because when he goes on to play the filter/resonance controls the waveform displays 'clean' waves taken directly from an oscillator but it is tracking the keyboard position...!

Later on though, it's just tracking the static 'drone'...and then even later it's back to the keyboard cool

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1