MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stuff you couldn't afford but now can.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Stuff you couldn't afford but now can.
jdaddyaz
I remember being young and looking at old music gear magazines and always wishing I could get my hands on an MPC, and some Roland stuff. Now a lot of that stuff which is to cost a good amount of money is going for peanuts on various sites. What are some things you've bought, or could buy, that you dreamed of having growing up.
nectarios
Andromeda, Modular.
But the most important thing I managed to get, is time to spend in the studio.
Liddlepud
nectarios wrote:
Andromeda, Modular.
But the most important thing I managed to get, is time to spend in the studio.

I've now got the money to buy pretty much all of the things I lusted over when I was a teenager but now with 2 young kids and business to run I don't have the time to use it.
Grumble
Quote:
Now a lot of that stuff which is to cost a good amount of money is going for peanuts on various sites.

On the other hand: a lot of that stuff costs way more than when they were new meh
cptnal
The scales have fallen from my eyes somewhat. I have a JX-3P and SH-101, but I rarely use them because my Euro blows them, and anything else that was around at the time, out the water. I'm more pragmatic than I am romantic. seriously, i just don't get it

Having spent long stretches without two pennies to rub together I like to keep in mind that it's an immense privilege to own the gear I do have. Helps keeps things in perspective. w00t
paperCUT
Liddlepud wrote:

I've now got the money to buy pretty much all of the things I lusted over when I was a teenager but now with 2 young kids and business to run I don't have the time to use it.

Same here, no kids but a job that involves long days creating art has meant a healthy bank account. Spending it takes time, and the last few purchases have barely been touched waah

One thing I am gonna get soon is a nice case, it's furniture after all:
http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac901m-monster-frames/addac901m- monster-frame
cool
Bath House
In the late nineties, all I wanted, with every fiber of my being, was one of those Emu E4XT Ultra samplers. They were thousands of bucks and then by the time you added on the RFX32 card and additional memory, etc. even more.

I still haven’t bought one, but you can grab one for like $500 these days. It’s really interesting to me to see the turnaround in hardware prices on digital stuff from that generation.

Unfortunately, all of the vintage stuff I wanted has gone up up up up up up in price. Fortunately, I bought a LOT of what I wanted when it was a LOT cheaper. SH-101 for $250. Juno 6 for $300. SP-1200 for $1000. TR-606 for $200. Etc. etc. etc. etc. The few things I thought I’d wait until later on are now permanently out of reach due to price inflation.

I still love the feeling of buying something luxurious from yesteryear, like an Eventide 3000 or a massive Emulator, complete with manuals - this was TOP OF THE LINE luxury at one point.
Grumble

I remember drooling when attending a demo of the Fairlight Sampler/synthesizer.
kinkujin
We are in our lean times now so there is no getting anything new. Fortunately, when times weren't so lean i was able to get a few things that i've always wanted (an honest to goodness Moog for crying out loud) so i'm so happy to have what I do. To be completely honest I've gotten stuff from trades that I never thought I would. Thanks MuffWigglers!
MARK27
My financial situation has gone up and down, feast and famine, throughout my life. The last few years have been feast, so I have been buying gobs of euro, assuming that in another few years I won't be able to buy anything.

Back in the 80s I never imagined I would own any modular. It was a total fantasy. I did everything with just Juno 106, an ESQ-1 and various drum machines.

Currently, I am building the music machine of my dreams out of euro and I expect to be exploring it for the rest of my days.

I remember being stoked to buy an A6 Andromeda when they first came out. I thought it was the synth of my dreams. Now, I haven't touched it in years.
Panason
Bath House wrote:
In the late nineties, all I wanted, with every fiber of my being, was one of those Emu E4XT Ultra samplers

Yeah. back then I borrowed money to buy one, then quickly realised I didn't like the UI and wasn't going to spend time on it because the PowerMac G3 came out and could do it better... so I bought that too. Guinness ftw! It's been a long learning process.
SPIKE the Percussionist
still can't afford these...
w00t lol
https://pinelectronics.com/ or a Macbeth EL2.
lisa
When I was younger and had no money I made music using my computer. Now I’m using a $20000 eurorack setup. It’s all good.

I also have two kids and a high stakes job but I do manage to find time for my number one hobby.
blw
All of it, really. Starting when I first got back in to synths 10 or 15 years ago, I went nuts on eBay and bought a Wavestation A/D, Xpander, SEM, Prophet VS, Prophet VS rack (had to have a back up), Yamaha TX816, TG33, Ensoniq DP/4 Synthi, Serge, etc, along with Buchla and other new modular, Minimoog, etc. Almost every purchase I made had something to do with something I had seen in a magazine or a musical hero's rig back then.

A few of them bored me pretty quickly (Wavestation, TG33), though a lot of them ended up being good choices. And it's not so different now, since walls of modules were in magazines, too. Just different formats.

Still wondering when I get to have the things I want now that I can't afford. lol Synthi 100, SSL console, Prophet 10, CS-80, PPG everything . . . waah
GuyaGuy
It's funny that a lot of what people are mentioning lusting over can now be done on $500 laptops or tablets.

Now that I can afford more things I'm actually trying to simplify things and rely on Ableton more to avoid clutter and lust for new shiny things.
MARK27
GuyaGuy wrote:
It's funny that a lot of what people are mentioning lusting over can now be done on $500 laptops or tablets.

Eurocat wrote:
hookers and cocaine

Even cheaper than that if you aren't picky!
Revok
Nothing too special but I still would like to get an MS2000 at some point.
Zymos
That limited edition gold-plated Moog.
Zymos
...oh but also.......all those synths and samplers from the 80's and 90's that I don't even want anymore but I could now buy for a couple hundred bucks.

Came so close to drunk-buying a Wavestation EX a couple of weeks ago, but started to question my nostalgia...
Gribs
I dunno, I have bought and sold many physical things I wanted as a kid. Now what I really want is time, energy, health, and peace of mind.
jonne74
Not music gear, but ten years ago I couldn't afford a used digital Hasselblad. Now you can find really good ones for around $3k. There are so many for sale now, I'm waiting for the right camera and seller in my city.
3hands
I’m still in full on lust mode for a big Oberheim polysynth. I’m going to pay off this years acquisitions first, and go hunting for an Obie in the new year!

I still also want a Fizmo.
ObsoleteModular
lisa wrote:
Now I’m using a $20000 eurorack setup

Wtf?!! woah

Quote:
a high stakes job .

Ah! I see. w00t
tehyar
ObsoleteModular wrote:
lisa wrote:
Now I’m using a $20000 eurorack setup

Wtf?!! woah

Quote:
a high stakes job .

Ah! I see. w00t

It’s not that crazy. With the piecemeal nature of eurorack, shit adds up before you know it.
cscairney
Buchla 200e ,but now I’ve heard it enough to know it’s not really what I’m after. I love listening to what people do with their systems. If I were to own any it would be a VERY small system.

A good piano. But I don’t want to care for one so I’ll go to a studio and pay for the time if I need.

The things that inspire me most these days are fairly cheep and limited in functionality.

Seems I’ve gotten more practical as I’ve increased my income...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2