MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to measure power consumption of a module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author How to measure power consumption of a module?
HZR
Hi, i have recently build a diy kit from errorinstruments (raw data) and i have no idea how much power it use from my uzeus.

Is there any way of measuring this?
AndreasD
I built a Joranalogue Test3 DIY for that job.
tardishead
With a high spec multimeter measure the resistance of the power cable to supply and then measure the voltage drop across that cable.
tardishead
Both readings will be very small
ersatzplanet
Amperage measurements are typically made with a meter that is in series between the power supply and the powered modules. The meter has to be able to handle the range of current passing through it. I use a Jorananalogue Test3 module myself which is more convenient than the probes of a standard meter -

It can test up to a Amp if you want to, but I use it when testing modules before shipping.
HZR
Thank you all for the answers, i see that the Test3 is a common utility for measuring modules.

So, i think i should get a new module seriously, i just don't get it
MarcelP
HZR wrote:
Thank you all for the answers, i see that the Test3 is a common utility for measuring modules.

So, i think i should get a new module seriously, i just don't get it

If you aren't doing this regularly, and assuming you have a multimeter already, it might be quicker and more cost effective to make/adapt a power lead so you can insert the meter to directly measure the current draw from each supply line.
ersatzplanet
MarcelP wrote:
If you aren't doing this regularly, and assuming you have a multimeter already, it might be quicker and more cost effective to make/adapt a power lead so you can insert the meter to directly measure the current draw from each supply line.

Before I got the Test3 module, I used a standard power cable with the voltage lines broken by normalizing jacks. I made a test lead for my multimeter that just plugged in, break the normalization and placed the meter inline, in series, between the PS and the module the cable was connected to. That worked but was a bit clumsy. It would be simple to put it in a small project box with jacks and the cable running in and out the ends.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1