MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Are mixers without FX quieter?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Are mixers without FX quieter?
powertran
I just junked an old Soundcraft Notepad mixer that had onboard effects. It increasingly had noise issues on the main outs. I got a new Mackie Mix5 and it's totally silent in comparison. Maybe built in effects on mixers are more susceptible to digital noise artifacts?
Kent
Not enough data to go on.

What kind of noise?

Was it 100% definitely due to the clock of the digital FX?

Was it the noise from the solo bus clock?

It could have been anything, really, and comparing one design to another; along with differing power supplies and age of filtering...

anything guess would be just a guess.

However, mixers with built-in FX do tend to be considered as being cheaper in order to hit certain price points. There aren't any out there, that I know of, that are as well specified as their 'Non-FX-Equipped' counterparts except for, perhaps, the recent Yamahas.
powertran
It was a Sound craft 12 FX notepad. Only a few years old really. The noise was on the main outs. It had always been faintly hissy. But the noise had gotten worse over time. Kind of a high pitched whining noise and very digital sounding.
I'm just amazed how noiselessly pristine the Mackie sounds in comparison.
Blairio
powertran wrote:
It was a Sound craft 12 FX notepad. Only a few years old really. The noise was on the main outs. It had always been faintly hissy. But the noise had gotten worse over time. Kind of a high pitched whining noise and very digital sounding.
I'm just amazed how noiselessly pristine the Mackie sounds in comparison.

Does the Mackie desk have fx?

Normally if a noise gets worse over time it indicates a component is gradually degrading. One for a tech perhaps.
anselmi
could be...or not
MindMachine
anselmi wrote:
could be...or not

Or vice-a-versa in this case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1