MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Something BIG from Analogue Solutions - Colossus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Something BIG from Analogue Solutions - Colossus
lisa
https://www.analoguesolutions.com/colossus

lud
Oh wow, that's quite a piece!
Fog Door
A white lab coat is a must! lol
Sir Ruff
Color me amazed... and even semi-interested, were it not for the fact that AS do not have a good reputation for build quality or servicing. What happens when something goes wrong?
ckwjr
Imported directly from the control room set of the Chernobyl miniseries. I think I see the button there on the right to SCRAM the reactor.
Alphaman
that's a really big one^^
SPIKE the Percussionist
i was JUST about to post this as well!
w00t

HOLY FRACK!!!

THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!
GuyaGuy
Love the taped-on graphics labels on a £25K synth hihi

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5b15641d55b02c03124b073b  /1567435004053-K4OMW7C26PZDLJCMSUPL/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kDHPSfPanjkWq hH6pl6g5ph7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLfrh8 O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0mwONMR1ELp49Lyc52iWr5dNb 1QJw9casjKdtTg1_-y4jz4ptJBmI9gQmbjSQnNGng/20190719+matrix+print+test.J PG?format=1500w
blw
GuyaGuy wrote:

Prototype.

Love this. I had mostly convinced myself a Synthi 100 would be an unusable mess, particularly now that I pull out my reading glasses every time I patch my Synthi's matrix, but I have to say I find this pretty interesting.

Oops, just realized this was Analogue Solutions, not Analogue Systems. I'd be much more into this if it used original circuits made under license where applicable, or in some agreement with Robin Wood. Not that it has to have identical circuits to be cool--the matrix concept would lend itself towards a style of patching regardless. But we all know what we are looking at, and it would be nice to know it this product at this price wasn't stepping on anyone's toes.
morgulbee
And when you're tired of making music, you can play a game of Battleship on the pegboards (aka CV and Audio Pin Matrix Panels?).
hamildad
blw wrote:
Oops, just realized this was Analogue Solutions, not Analogue Systems

did the exact same, its the multi turn vernier oscs and the Synthi homage.
Sir Ruff
GuyaGuy wrote:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5b15641d55b02c03124b073b  /1567435004053-K4OMW7C26PZDLJCMSUPL/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kDHPSfPanjkWq hH6pl6g5ph7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLfrh8 O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0mwONMR1ELp49Lyc52iWr5dNb 1QJw9casjKdtTg1_-y4jz4ptJBmI9gQmbjSQnNGng/20190719+matrix+print+test.J PG?format=1500w

Thing's not even screwed in yet... so one would presume (and hope) this is a prototype.
DigitalNativeDunce
Yes it's the prototype, says so on the page if you look.

I love that this exists!
lisa
From my personal point of view it is way too expensive. Don’t get me wrong, I know that unique gear in low quantities always will cost an arm and a leg and that is fine. I also think it’s really cool that this exists. However, for that kind of money I can get so many cool things! And besides that, I’m not fully convinced about the build quality of AS products. Granted, my latest encounter was with a Telemark quite some time ago but it wasn’t the best build.
acidbob
lisa wrote:
From my personal point of view it is way too expensive. Don’t get me wrong, I know that unique gear in low quantities always will cost an arm and a leg and that is fine. I also think it’s really cool that this exists. However, for that kind of money I can get so many cool things! And besides that, I’m not fully convinced about the build quality of AS products. Granted, my latest encounter was with a Telemark quite some time ago but it wasn’t the best build.

Never had issues with ASOL products, had a lot of Toms synths and modules.
Can I ask, what was your issue with the Telemark?
neuroportal
I like Analogue Solutions gear and I aspire to own a Vostok Duluxe one day...My few dealings with Tom have also been pleasant and effective.

However, I just LOVE the fact this exists and he had the courage to do it. smile

Not saying it isn't expensive, but damn. Who here wouldn't want to be let loose on this thing?
Panason
Quote:
Also no memories means nothing in the synth is being made sterile by CPU control.

lol lol lol lol lol

"You kids dont know. Back in the day we had to walk to the studio in the rain and snow and spend hours parching a single sound, and record the patch on patch sheets" etc.

That evil CPU control must make all those DSI and moog synths awefully sterile and soul-less!
neuroportal
Panason wrote:
Quote:
Also no memories means nothing in the synth is being made sterile by CPU control.

lol lol lol lol lol

"You kids dont know. Back in the day we had to walk to the studio in the rain and snow and spend hours parching a single sound, and record the patch on patch sheets" etc.

That evil CPU control must make all those DSI and moog synths awefully sterile and soul-less!

Love it or hate it or even in different it...

...you can't argue with Tom's passion for his products. Or rather, i certainly wouldn't.

I am glad Analogue Solutions exists.
Panason
I'm just commenting on that particular bit of BS marketing blurb which seems doubly out of place here.. Tom is beating a dead horse, a fallacy common in Geaslutz threads.
Presenting this as a selling point in a synth like this is even more absurd than in non modular machines. I'd have thought someone spending 25k (!) on a modular monosynth doesnt need that sort of BS argument to make a decision!
dubonaire
Sir Ruff wrote:
Color me amazed... and even semi-interested, were it not for the fact that AS do not have a good reputation for build quality or servicing. What happens when something goes wrong?

That was my first thought.
neuroportal
It is just marketing.

Someone spending 25K on this will pretty much know what they are getting, irrespective of the voodoo. smile
blw
Sir Ruff wrote:

Just freight it back to the manufacturer for repair. lol

I had a problem with an Asol Red Square. It was a MIDI issue, and I heard that was designed by Kenton, but I was getting double triggers occasionally, and the response to my tech support inquiry was 'dunno' dismissive. Red Square was otherwise a cool synth, but stuff like this colors my thinking.

I didn't think the price seemed too bad, given what is under the hood. Plenty of us have as much or more or in our modulars that may not have as many components. Whether or not these are the exact choices I'd make for myself in 2019 may be a different matter.

But roughly estimating the price of components in terms of Doepfer modules gets you at least halfway to this price. Add in the cool interface, case, etc. Or it's the price of 4 Synthis or Synthi clones. Okay, not too bad. Paying this much for an Asol product and then shipping it across the pond . . . my prior experience makes that feel a little harder.

Yet I stare at this because like many the Synthi 100 is a unicorn dream, and this is as close as I'd be likely to get these days. I'm sure Asol will get enough takers from the soundtrack and/or aging rock star crowd without needing to worry too much about what the bedroom musicians think of this one.
blw
Double post. Those Red Square double triggers are haunting me. woah

I'll use my double post to add that despite all my quibbling, I still kind of want one.
Clockgate
That is quite something, but to me, the cheap looking scope spoils the look somewhat.
minimalist
Someone is going to need a bigger shed SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3