MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Most common noise problems and solutions - experiences.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Most common noise problems and solutions - experiences.
Estes
Hi all

It happens in the world of Eurorack that you search for a solution and you find out that there might not be the one solution. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that the most popular cases and modules might have some obvious solutions a lot of people might already have.

I have a Deopfer case PSU 3 and a Intellijel 1u case TPS80W. And somehow I have troubles but not sure yet where it comes from. digital modules are the usual suspects, ornament and crime and Batumi and mostly Analog modules.

However my point is maybe we can gather some experiences from users with concrete modules and cases/power problems and how they found a solutions.

What do you think?
Pelsea
I think every situation is different, but most problems can be solved by applying some basic electronic principles, especially those related to shielding and grounding. I also believe those principles are well documented here, but are buried under old wives tales and cargo cult thinking. Some of the accurate information is damaged by poor presentation, either didactic or vague.

I also think there are real turkeys out there, but consumers put up with them because they have little to compare with. (And even turkeys work sometimes.)
Estes
Pelsea wrote:
I think every situation is different, but most problems can be solved by applying some basic electronic principles, especially those related to shielding and grounding. I also believe those principles are well documented here, but are buried under old wives tales and cargo cult thinking. Some of the accurate information is damaged by poor presentation, either didactic or vague.

I also think there are real turkeys out there, but consumers put up with them because they have little to compare with. (And even turkeys work sometimes.)

This ws my impression as well, because I did some research and the discussions about this issue were not satisfying. That's why my (probably naive) idea was to see how other people did succesfully solve such issues rather than make a list of factors that could eventually be the problem.
nikmis
Well, my situation is DIY, which is common enough. I used to have a lot of strange problems, like what sounded like a lot of oscillators humming in the background, but only sometimes. Nothing really major though, it wasn't common enough or loud enough to be unusable. A few years ago I updated my power supply and power distribution system. I took a lot of the advice from this forum about proper power supply practices, specifically the ones where Graham Hinton is both rude and extremely helpful at the same time, and I don't have any noise or related problems now.
Fog Door
Quote:
buried under old wives tales and cargo cult thinking
lol lol lol
spilthyfred
I am building my first case and dont have the money for a full blown awesome crazy perfect power setup. I did a lot of research and in the end I decided to take a "risk" with a switching power supply that seemed robust compared to most. I went with the power system by Trogotronic because it was both robust and affordable.

I currently am drawing over 4 amps total with my system right now and haven't had a single problem with noise issues at all.

There is not a whole lot of info regarding the reliability of the Trogotronic power system, so I decided to leave this info here. I dont know how anybody elses experience has been, but I can vouch that if you are on a budget, building a new system, and want to avoid noise issues then Trogotronic all the way.
ranix
I had an interesting issue when the neighbor in the next apartment had a plasma globe on the other side of the wall from my modular. I was getting a wild 60hz mains buzz all over the place and couldn't figure out what the problem was. I thought something I couldn't understand was wrong with the outlet for the longest time. If I moved to another wall the problem went away even on the same circuit. I was totally dumbfounded until I went over to visit and saw the big ass plasma globe. They moved it to another shelf and the problem disappeared zombie
tardishead
I'm a completely DIY guy
My system exhibited every type of noise problem. Ground hums, oscillator bleed, Interacting oscillators, noisy clicks and pops.
I followed Graham Hintons advice about power and grounding and I cannot recommend it strongly enough.
The difference is astonishing and well worth the effort.
Estes
tardishead wrote:
I'm a completely DIY guy
My system exhibited every type of noise problem. Ground hums, oscillator bleed, Interacting oscillators, noisy clicks and pops.
I followed Graham Hintons advice about power and grounding and I cannot recommend it strongly enough.
The difference is astonishing and well worth the effort.

so you went for the Hinton solution?
I'm sorry to ask but I'm trying to find a solution and yes I did search on the forum and yes I researched about the Graham Hintons posts, but I get only more confused, cause I'm not a DIY Guy, I have no idea how these things work. I travel with a band so I need a smooth solution so I can bring along my modular setup. So far I'm good with Doepfer for the homesolution but for traveling I didn't had much luck in finding a solution which would give me some advice for my next steps...
Estes
Spend another night researching on this forum and I feels now as if I came back from a war or something. If I had to make a summary basically the only home solution is the Hilton way. And for smooth transport situations it looks like there isn't anything satisfactory at the moment...
dubonaire
Estes wrote:
Spend another night researching on this forum and I feels now as if I came back from a war or something. If I had to make a summary basically the only home solution is the Hilton way. And for smooth transport situations it looks like there isn't anything satisfactory at the moment...

I've never had a problem with noise with my Doepfer monster cases so although Hinton may be a very good way it's demonstrably not the only way.
mt3
nikmis wrote:
Well, my situation is DIY, which is common enough. I used to have a lot of strange problems, like what sounded like a lot of oscillators humming in the background, but only sometimes. Nothing really major though, it wasn't common enough or loud enough to be unusable. A few years ago I updated my power supply and power distribution system. I took a lot of the advice from this forum about proper power supply practices, specifically the ones where Graham Hinton is both rude and extremely helpful at the same time, and I don't have any noise or related problems now.

This.

Also, some people have had good results from the Pittsburgh Structure cases.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1