MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Small Techno Drums Setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Small Techno Drums Setup
ancientbones
I'm thinking of getting an Intellijel Palette to make into a little techno drum machine/groove box for live improvisation.

Here's my thought process. Looking for feedback and suggestions for how I can improve my plan and if I'm missing anything essential.[/img]

I'm mainly looking at Mutable Instruments modules since they're open source, DIY, and people sell their builds for reasonable prices. I like that the modules all have different firmware options for different uses and modes. They seem like the best option I've found for versatility and bang for buck.

uMidi and Steppy are what I plan to use for sequencing.

uRings and uPlaits for my oscillators. I feel like these will get me weird FM techno drums pretty easily.

Quantum Rainbow 2 for noise/hi hats

Peaks for more drums and envelopes

Skis for vcas

Rampage/Sin Phi Miasma for envelopes and modulation

Ripples for a filter

minimalist
Looks like fun.

I don't have many drum modules but my two favorites are Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter and SSF Entity Percussion. Both can excel at most drum sounds but are equally good as baselines etc. Both accept tons of modulation so can cover quite a few sounds at the same time. As voice modules they don't need separate VCAs or envelopes. They are mid ranged in price but in my opinion, both are very good value.
poppinger
I would suggest considering a Tiptop One as a noise source and alternative to Quantum Rainbow - used I think they're in the same ballpark for price. I have a Tiptop One that I use primarily as a noise source and I usually run it into Skis for hats.

I loaded it up with an SD card loaded with all kinds of multi-minute noise loops from various sources - white noise, tape hiss, vinyl runout grooves, stacks of detuned square waves like in an 808 hat, looped cymbal samples, field recordings, rain, recordings of metal put through PaulStretch, LFSR noise — anything sustained and looping really. You can pitch samples up and down on the One to change the character. It ends up being a really flexible way to get a bunch of hihat sounds that are more unique than just "white noise through a VCA."

I guess if you get bored of that you can use it to play drum samples or something too.
ancientbones
minimalist wrote:
Looks like fun.

I don't have many drum modules but my two favorites are Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter and SSF Entity Percussion. Both can excel at most drum sounds but are equally good as baselines etc. Both accept tons of modulation so can cover quite a few sounds at the same time. As voice modules they don't need separate VCAs or envelopes. They are mid ranged in price but in my opinion, both are very good value.

I like the BIA, but I just can’t afford one. Trying to stay under $280ish on each module if I can.
poppinger
Oh and as far as essentials, it looks like you'll need a mixer too.
ancientbones
poppinger wrote:
Oh and as far as essentials, it looks like you'll need a mixer too.

True. I’m not sure what mixer I should go with though. Besides that do you think this covers my bases for a primarily percussion focused setup?
poppinger
ancientbones wrote:
True. I’m not sure what mixer I should go with though. Besides that do you think this covers my bases for a primarily percussion focused setup?

Yeah, looks good. I would say that a small cheap sequencer like a Ladik S-142 might open up a lot of options as well, but I think there's a mode in Peaks that does that.
Hi5
+1 on the TT One. Great sounding sample module for a ton of perc range.

Never cared for rings on perc to be honest. Certain plastic sound to it. A proper wavetable vco would give you more.

It is the first version but I do have a BI for sale for cheap Mr. Green

Skis are ok but I ended up getting Manhattan Audio VCA. 2 CV inputs so you can program an env and accent plus it distorts well.
ancientbones
poppinger wrote:
ancientbones wrote:

Yeah, looks good. I would say that a small cheap sequencer like a Ladik S-142 might open up a lot of options as well, but I think there's a mode in Peaks that does that.

Yeah I figured I’d do most of my sequencing with the steppy. Definitely can use Peaks if I want to mix it up.
continuum
poppinger wrote:
I would suggest considering a Tiptop One as a noise source and alternative to Quantum Rainbow - used I think they're in the same ballpark for price. I have a Tiptop One that I use primarily as a noise source and I usually run it into Skis for hats.

I loaded it up with an SD card loaded with all kinds of multi-minute noise loops from various sources - white noise, tape hiss, vinyl runout grooves, stacks of detuned square waves like in an 808 hat, looped cymbal samples, field recordings, rain, recordings of metal put through PaulStretch, LFSR noise — anything sustained and looping really. You can pitch samples up and down on the One to change the character. It ends up being a really flexible way to get a bunch of hihat sounds that are more unique than just "white noise through a VCA."

I guess if you get bored of that you can use it to play drum samples or something too.

We would love to see a demo of using ONE this way!
kwaidan
ancientbones wrote:
poppinger wrote:
ancientbones wrote:

Yeah I figured I’d do most of my sequencing with the steppy. Definitely can use Peaks if I want to mix it up.

I have a 3U Steppy, and it is quite powerful, especially for its small imprint.
Tomorrow Sounds Good
I also make techno and would highly recommend looking at the Jomox modules . Sound is unreal
batch
Would recommend the WMD crucible, Noise Engineering BIA and waiting for the WMD Crater - think this would give you a ton of drum focused sonic territory (and the BIA can be used for basslines and melodies).

Consider the Octocontroller or PNW for a ton of clock synced modulation.
Arneb
Isn't Rampage (or any of those function generators in the Serge/Buchla tradition) a bit overkill for such a tiny case? I'd probably consider something like IJ Quadra or MI Tides instead.
ancientbones
So here’s what I’m thinking now.

TT One for noise source and weird samples (this was an awesome suggestion!)

Got rid of Ripples for MMF to save space. Plus it sounds very 303 which I LOVE.

Erica Synths Fusion Mixer looks incredibly sweet. I‘ve been mainly a guitar player the last few years so I love anything with tubes lol.

I’m a little worried it might be overkill though. Are there any other smaller mixers that give great saturation when cranked?

Also is the Befaco Rampage a good choice for a case this small? Kinda sad I can’t fit a clouds with it in there.

Arneb
ancientbones wrote:
Also is the Befaco Rampage a good choice for a case this small? Kinda sad I can’t fit a clouds with it in there.

Hm... μClouds is 8HP, that leaves 10HP for an AD/AR-style envelope generator... RT Gonies?
ancientbones
Arneb wrote:
ancientbones wrote:

Hm... μClouds is 8HP, that leaves 10HP for an AD/AR-style envelope generator... RT Gonies?

I’d only have 9hp left so Gonies wouldn’t fit. Almost wondering if a uO_c would be a good option to end it with, but I’m not a huge fan of menu diving. I’d probably use it for envelopes mostly.
ancientbones
Ok, I think I’m getting there. The Gonies seems like a perfect fit so I dumped Skis for the Synthrotek lpg. Saves some space and I can go between lpg and vca.

MapacheRaper
That case is a pain in the ass. You will want a bigger one in 0.3 secs.

I would go for the rampage and include a grids too Rockin' Banana!

Clouds doesn´t really apport nothing to a drummachine and the mixer is overkill. I would search sumthin smaller´n cheaper
sutekina bipu-on
if you are willing to devote the space to it, the vermona twincussion is verrrry rewarding especially if you like those electro drum sounds that make you wanna breakdance
ancientbones
MapacheRaper wrote:
That case is a pain in the ass. You will want a bigger one in 0.3 secs.

I would go for the rampage and include a grids too Rockin' Banana!

Clouds doesn´t really apport nothing to a drummachine and the mixer is overkill. I would search sumthin smaller´n cheaper

It seems like a really convenient case if you turn it upside down and it’s a reasonable price for a powered case imo. If you have any other suggestions I’m open.
cliffemu
Here you go! Techno!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1