MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gear that uses external ZIP drives?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Gear that uses external ZIP drives?
daveholiday
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I recall back in the day there was gear that either had an internal ZIP drive for storage or could utilize an external ZIP drive.

The reason why I bring this up, is that I have 2 iomega ZIP drives in very good condition that are essentially worthless in the modern computer world. Could anyone use these or should I take them to out local e-scrap recycler.

For what it is worth I have a 100 and a 250 with a couple spare disks. If anyone wants these or could use them PM me. They are FREE to a good home if you hit me back for shipping.
ObsoleteModular
daveholiday wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I recall back in the day there was gear that either had an internal ZIP drive for storage or could utilize an external ZIP drive.

The reason why I bring this up, is that I have 2 iomega ZIP drives in very good condition that are essentially worthless in the modern computer world. Could anyone use these or should I take them to out local e-scrap recycler.

For what it is worth I have a 100 and a 250 with a couple spare disks. If anyone wants these or could use them PM me. They are FREE to a good home if you hit me back for shipping.

If they're SCSI they're still of value. eBay them. If they're USB, not so much. If they're parallel port then they're junk.
Navs
Still useful to hardware sampler users!

You'll be doing someone in the US a good turn, nice one SlayerBadger!
ObsoleteModular
Navs wrote:

But ONLY if they're SCSI. I don't know of any music gear that used the parallel port versions and any gear with USB can most likely use much larger capacity thumb drives anyway.
Licudi
The Akai S950's IB-109 SCSI board is Zip-compatible, IIRC. Not the IB-105 board, though.
mmp
I have one on my Yamaha EX5 Rack. SCSI version.
ObsoleteModular
ObsoleteModular wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
They are FREE to a good home if you hit me back for shipping.

If they're SCSI they're still of value. eBay them. If they're USB, not so much. If they're parallel port then they're junk.

Whoops! I missed your last sentence; that you're offering them for free. Ace thumbs up recycle that shiznit. Hopefully somebody will want them. There was an article in the newspaper recently. It's estimated that nearly 4 million unwanted mobile phones are lurking at the back of drawers and cupboards in the UK

4 MILLION!!!!
gruebleengourd
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Navs wrote:

But ONLY if they're SCSI. I don't know of any music gear that used the parallel port versions and any gear with USB can most likely use much larger capacity thumb drives anyway.

The parallel port zip drives can be used as hard drives for the Yamaha C1 computer...
SyndieBot2000XL
The parallel port drives are still of use for file transfers/backups if you have an old pc for mass storage but no ZIP drive in it.

The USB drives are straight up junk though - IIRC if you put akai format zips in one of those things it’ll wipe the file directory which is not great.
SmartBits
SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
The USB drives are straight up junk though - IIRC if you put akai format zips in one of those things it’ll wipe the file directory which is not great.

Well, it depends. I have a Yamaha RS7000 with a SCSI zip attached to it. And a USB zip attached to my PC. That way it's quite easy to transfer or backup the files. So a USB zip can still be a nice addition to an older setup.
smithjohn
I got a Zip 100 drive with 6 discs quite cheaply and it is much nicer than floppies with my EMU ESI2000.
Flexyflier
Still have one connected to my Akai S3000.
daveholiday
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Navs wrote:

So the downside is they are both parallel port....NOT SCSI...would the internal drive still be useful as a replacement for the few bits of gear that had internal ZIP drives?
SmartBits
daveholiday wrote:
would the internal drive still be useful as a replacement for the few bits of gear that had internal ZIP drives?

I don't think so. If I had a piece of equipment that had an internal zip that broke down I would try sourcing an internal SCSI zip. They can still be found and cheap. I wouldn't go through the hassle of getting a parallel version and see if that would work (and possibly damaging the synth/sampler by doing so).
Navs
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Navs wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the difference!

I had just placed an order for a DB25 parallel cable, hoping to use it with my SCSI Zip (in addition to the SCSI2SD I now have). Managed to cancel that order as well as a USB to Parallel adapter in time lol

Anyone in EU got a spare SCSI cable, PM me pls.
Dave Kendall
Using zip 100s for many years, I found the failure rate with disks to be unacceptable, particularly if they had many write/erase/rewrite cycles - too many died, and as neither disks nor drives are available new anymore, I would not want to risk anything even slightly important on them.

A MO 230 drive was (is) more reliable, if going for older SCSI storage devices.

But SCSI2SD beats anything else I have ever tried for fast, reliable SCSI storage.

And it's in current production wink
ObsoleteModular
Dave Kendall wrote:
Using zip 100s for many years, I found the failure rate with disks to be unacceptable, particularly if they had many write/erase/rewrite cycles - too many died, and as neither disks nor drives are available new anymore, I would not want to risk anything even slightly important on them.)

Who remembers the click of death?! Dead Banana
ObsoleteModular
daveholiday wrote:

So the downside is they are both parallel port....NOT SCSI...would the internal drive still be useful as a replacement for the few bits of gear that had internal ZIP drives?

I think any internal drives were housed like a tradtional drive. With the external drives the enclosure and drive are all one unit

Shame. Some people still using old sampler + pc setups might find a use for the parallel drives as you can have a SCSI drive connected to the sampler and the parallel port drive to a computer and just transfer disks between them.
tron23
Also working with no issues when plugged into the SCSI port of an MPC 60/3000.
daveholiday
Gonna kick these guys to the recycler this weekend. If anyone really wants them, the offer still stands and I have an IDE version as well! All are free for shipping!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1