MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sequencer with overwrite function - Hermod?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Sequencer with overwrite function - Hermod?
laurentius
Hi there,

this one might be a bit difficult to explain. As an addition to my Rene I am looking for a more intuitive style of sequencing my Rings or Plaits for example. As far as I got it Hermod can receive notes via a midi keyboard and send those patterns to cv.
What I would really love though is a guitar looping pedal like functionality where I can replace my old loops or instantaneously overwrite them while I play (in opposition to the traditional overdubbing). And even better: The newly recorded stuff should automatically determine the length of the pattern, no matter how different the overwriting pattern length is from the one before?
Does that make sense? Could Hermod or any other module do that?
Keltie
Performer will do some of it, but I don’t believe it will change pattern length on the fly as you describe.
helder
Hermod can record different pattern lenghts per track, and has a funtionality, with the newer firmware updates, where it only starts recording when you play a note in the keyboard, or when the loop reaches the end if it is playing, and will record the number of bars you want until you press record again. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it seems close at least.
teezdalien
laurentius wrote:
And even better: The newly recorded stuff should automatically determine the length of the pattern, no matter how different the overwriting pattern length is from the one before?

How on earth could that be implemented? hmmm.....

How could the device determine whether you need to play more notes/parts or loop what you've just played?
spilthyfred
I believe the NerdSeq with the can do this. And a whole lot more..
laurentius
teezdalien wrote:
laurentius wrote:
And even better: The newly recorded stuff should automatically determine the length of the pattern, no matter how different the overwriting pattern length is from the one before?

How could the device determine whether you need to play more notes/parts or loop what you've just played?

Maybe by holding a button during and after letting it go the recording length is set. There are several audio looper pedals /phrase sampler that work this way...
helder
laurentius wrote:
Maybe by holding a button during and after letting it go the recording length is set.

Hermod can do this. If I hold X+Y+REC it stays in standby mode for recording with open track lenght. It starts recording once a note is played, and then it sets the lenght when one pushes the rec button again.
laurentius
@helder
Wow, thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know! Is this also possible using an external keyboard via midi using the same key combo?
teezdalien
laurentius wrote:
teezdalien wrote:
laurentius wrote:

Maybe by holding a button during and after letting it go the recording length is set. There are several audio looper pedals /phrase sampler that work this way...

Yeah well that's quite different to how you described the process and hardly automatic is it?
helder
laurentius wrote:
@helder
Wow, thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know! Is this also possible using an external keyboard via midi using the same key combo?

Glad I coul help smile

If you mean to ask if you are able to engage X+Y+REC on Hermod remotely via Midi no, I don't think it can be done (although hermod receives midi so you can ask the developer for a firmware update I guess...).

If you mean to ask if you can play notes into the hermod sequencer with a midi keyboard then yeah, absolutely.
batch
ER101/2 combo is able to record sequences using various approaches. It’s extremely powerful and to my knowledge the only CV sequencer where you can then see AND edit the sequences per step values after it’s been recorded (ie change the length, pitch values, etc.).

The interface looks a little intimidating, but the manual is well written and once you understand it it’s very intuitive.

There is a reason you see 2 of them in racks such as Colin Benders and Ebcidic
laurentius
Yeah, I know one can play into Hermod using a midi keyboard. What I meant is if this x+x+record shortcut works also while playing in external midi notes. Because this is is what i would love to do ;-)
inaroom
batch wrote:
ER101/2 combo is able to record sequences using various approaches. It’s extremely powerful and to my knowledge the only CV sequencer where you can then see AND edit the sequences per step values after it’s been recorded (ie change the length, pitch values, etc.).

The interface looks a little intimidating, but the manual is well written and once you understand it it’s very intuitive.

There is a reason you see 2 of them in racks such as Colin Benders and Ebcidic

the hermod can do that as well
hlprmnky
teezdalien wrote:

Yeah well that's quite different to how you described the process and hardly automatic is it?

FWIW I’m nearly certain that the only way to implement the described “automatic” process would be to configure some known duration of silence/inactivity after a note to mean “end recording”. Anything else would, unless I’ve missed a trick, create an algorithm that would let you solve the Halting Problem - probably out of reach for even the mighty Hermod or ER101!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1