MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Asys French Connection design changes/imprvm over the years?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Asys French Connection design changes/imprvm over the years?
musicaespressiva
Since a year I'm on the hunt for a second-hand Asys French Connection with no success and now, despite the really high price tag (high for me at least), I'm also considering to buy it new.

And because of this keyboard controller had been available since almost twenty years now, I'd like to know if there are any changes/improvements over the years regarding parts/mechanics/materials employed. From the outside, just looking at pictures of the various builders, I only can notice a change in wood color.

I'm asking here to get some user point of view, while also asking directly the builder.

Thank you in advance for your time.
sentimentalist
I bought the French Connection about ten or fifteen years ago, which was simultaneously my entry into the modular world.
The functions have not changed to my knowledge. I once asked Bob Williams if he could modify the keyboard so that the CV's of the keyboard and the ring could be used in parallel. Bob thought it was too complicated, because the calibration would not work as intended. The keyboard is so designed that you choose with a switch, whether you want to play ring or keyboard and button or trigger from keys.
I have never played a Martenot, but I have the impression that the behaves from the button is more sensitive in the first moments of movement. Which does not mean that the mechanics are worse, but only the behave is differently. (That would also be a good extension: the variable setting of the spring pressure for the button, but then the costs are added for a complicated mechanic...).
Anyway, I like the FC very much.

The playing, or my playing technics:
Left hand:
Thumb: Botton it controls a VCA or LowpassGate for the volume and additionally the joystick between two fingers to control a vector mixer with its x/y axis.
Right hand: Pitches over ring or keys.
I also would advise two foot pedals in addition to get more control options, this could control dry / wet effects such as granulation or tapedelay.
Then the modular system can become a pretty good expressive instrument.
The FC is "only" a controler, but it gives you the feeling of an instrument and in my opinion that could be a good way to the music.

greetings
musicaespressiva
sentimentalist wrote:
I bought the French Connection about ten or fifteen years ago, which was simultaneously my entry into the modular world.
The functions have not changed to my knowledge. I once asked Bob Williams if he could modify the keyboard so that the CV's of the keyboard and the ring could be used in parallel. Bob thought it was too complicated, because the calibration would not work as intended. The keyboard is so designed that you choose with a switch, whether you want to play ring or keyboard and button or trigger from keys.
I have never played a Martenot, but I have the impression that the behaves from the button is more sensitive in the first moments of movement. Which does not mean that the mechanics are worse, but only the behave is differently. (That would also be a good extension: the variable setting of the spring pressure for the button, but then the costs are added for a complicated mechanic...).
Anyway, I like the FC very much.
The playing, or my playing technics:
Left hand:
Thumb: Botton it controls a VCA or LowpassGate for the volume and additionally the joystick between two fingers to control a vector mixer with its x/y axis.
Right hand: Pitches over ring or keys.
I also would advise two foot pedals in addition to get more control options, this could control dry / wet effects such as granulation or tapedelay.
Then the modular system can become a pretty good expressive instrument.
The FC is "only" a controler, but it gives you the feeling of an instrument and in my opinion that could be a good way to the music.

greetings

Thank you, it's nice to have feedback from someone that has it since so many years. Did you have to do some special maintenance to the instrument? Did you have to send it back to England?
sentimentalist
Once the string for the ring jumped off the role.
Analogue Systems then sent me an instruction how to roll it up again. It worked.
Apparently Schneider's office (Alex4) is now taking over the support for Germany.
I had to change the joystick, because the voltage jumps appeared.
There is a standard joystick installed, you could reorder without problems from the electronics-trade. (has something good and something bad. I would have installed only the best technology that is almost wear-free, but then could I still easily buy it again?)
For the repair I did not want to send the FC in, neither to Berlin nor to England. Then I telephoned with Andreas Schneider, who named me a company in Bremen, they made the exchange with the support of Schneider.
That's what I call support!
musicaespressiva
sentimentalist wrote:
Analogue Systems then sent me an instruction how to roll it up again. It worked.
Apparently Schneider's office (Alex4) is now taking over the support for Germany.
There is a standard joystick installed, you could reorder without problems from the electronics-trade. (has something good and something bad. I would have installed only the best technology that is almost wear-free, but then could I still easily buy it again?)
For the repair I did not want to send the FC in, neither to Berlin nor to England. Then I telephoned with Andreas Schneider, who named me a company in Bremen, they made the exchange with the support of Schneider.

Good to know. May I also ask you which serial number is your unit?
sentimentalist
musicaespressiva wrote:
sentimentalist wrote:

FC: 112
MindMachine
You could get in touch with Big City Music and see if they have a demo unit they would sell. Many years ago they had one as a controller in the showroom. They don't often deal, but worth a shot.
musicaespressiva
MindMachine wrote:
You could get in touch with Big City Music and see if they have a demo unit they would sell. Many years ago they had one as a controller in the showroom. They don't often deal, but worth a shot.

Thanks, I just did
musicaespressiva
sentimentalist wrote:
musicaespressiva wrote:
sentimentalist wrote:

FC: 112

Hello, I need another detail: can you please tell me the exact width and depth of the wooden part on the upper of the keyboard? Thank you
sentimentalist
The dimensions of the Keyboard are:
height: 12cm (the highest point)
width: 24,2cm
length: exact wood measure: 92,9cm + power switch ca. 1cm
musicaespressiva
sentimentalist wrote:
The dimensions of the Keyboard are:
height: 12cm (the highest point)
width: 24,2cm
length: exact wood measure: 92,9cm + power switch ca. 1cm

thank you