MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What about a new sticky topic for videos?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  

What do you think about a sticky topic where you can post your new 5U / MU videos ?
It wil be great
62%
 62%  [ 15 ]
I prefer to create a new topic for my videos
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
I don't care
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author What about a new sticky topic for videos?
Thalassa
Hi , yesterday I wanted to post a new video that I've recorded jamming on my modular but I didn't want to open a new topic just for that.
I was thinking that it could be good to have something like the sticky topic "Post pics of your 5U format setup!" but for videos.
I know that there are other threads about 5U videos but this one wouldn't be a topic to post all 5u videos that you can find on youtube. No, It will be a place where if you have a new video you can post it there and people can comment.

Also it will be good to see what people is doing now with their systems and give them exposure. Most of the 5U popular videos are quite old and a lot has changed since morbius001 uploaded "Siliconsequences1DL" thumbs up

I think that it can be good for the community, what do you think?
Leverkusen
Hm, don't know - I usually do not upload videos here. But also I usually do not look into the sticky threads above but just scan over new or active threads.

I think, I am not so much into threads that are basically long lists of pictures or videos in general and I would immediately loose interest when there is no background like "look at this new module and discuss" or "this is when I played live/noodled in my basement last weekend" but a lot of unconnected content.

But that's just me of course. So the idea might be good, personally I probably would not notice it. On the other hand, if I did I might want to leave a appreciative comment and then it would appear in my news feed. So, yeah, why not. Then again, on another, third, hand, if videos are posted separately wouldn't the forum traffic get even more sparse?

So how about both? Posting videos in module threads or just so and collect them in a sticky to binge watch.

thumbs up
Thalassa
Thanks for your opinion smile

Just two things I didn't mean people will upload the videos here in the forum. What I wanted to say is to post the videos that you have uploaded to your youtube / vimeo account.


Leverkusen wrote:
I think, I am not so much into threads that are basically long lists of pictures or videos in general and I would immediately loose interest when there is no background like "look at this new module and discuss" or "this is when I played live/noodled in my basement last weekend" but a lot of unconnected content.


This is why I emphasized about new videos and not post old videos that you find on youtube. Now so many people record videos so I don't think that the topic grows without control. Only new videos from forum users to amaze people with your patching skills hihi


Leverkusen wrote:
So the idea might be good, personally I probably would not notice it. On the other hand, if I did I might want to leave a appreciative comment and then it would appear in my news feed.


That's what I did with the "post pictures" topic thumbs up
Mark11Audio
Thalassa wrote:
Hi , yesterday I wanted to post a new video that I've recorded jamming on my modular but I didn't want to open a new topic just for that.
I was thinking that it could be good to have something like the sticky topic "Post pics of your 5U format setup!" but for videos.
I know that there are other threads about 5U videos but this one wouldn't be a topic to post all 5u videos that you can find on youtube. No, It will be a place where if you have a new video you can post it there and people can comment.

Also it will be good to see what people is doing now with their systems and give them exposure. Most of the 5U popular videos are quite old and a lot has changed since morbius001 uploaded "Siliconsequences1DL" thumbs up

I think that it can be good for the community, what do you think?


I personally think this would be a GREAT idea and quick way to find, as you say.... "NEW" Video's from all of the 5U community and not just JLR's great stuff... but all in one place. I hope to contribute to those as well...

~M~ thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
josaka
if you are going to do that.. would suggest two threads..
1) for module demos/promos/adverts/reviews..
2) for user content etc.. basically so I can avoid these smile
DrReverendSeance
^ I agree with josaka about two separate threads. I would like a single thread to search in for module demos!
Thalassa
josaka wrote:
if you are going to do that.. would suggest two threads..
1) for module demos/promos/adverts/reviews..
2) for user content etc.. basically so I can avoid these smile


And in that case.... in which of those categories will be my videos that are not strictly module demos but I'm using my modules and you can hear how they sound??? hmmm..... hmmm..... hmmm..... hmmm.....
josaka
Thalassa wrote:
josaka wrote:
if you are going to do that.. would suggest two threads..
1) for module demos/promos/adverts/reviews..
2) for user content etc.. basically so I can avoid these smile


And in that case.... in which of those categories will be my videos that are not strictly module demos but I'm using my modules and you can hear how they sound??? hmmm..... hmmm..... hmmm..... hmmm.....


number 2 for all non demos ...
1 for strictly for demos
Ockeghem
I like the idea of a thread for new 5U/MU videos. But I don't mind if demo videos are mixed in, or have a separate thread, or if there is some inevitable cross posting with “Your Tunes Here” or other subforums. Just define what is “new,” or call it “post-2018 5U videos” and have a separate thread for “pre-2018 5U videos” perhaps?
If someone starts the thread(s) the mods will decide how to deal with it I am sure.
Ockeghem
Quote:
number 2 for all non demos ...
1 for strictly for demos

I think Thalassa's point is that some demos involve jamming and musical performance, think of some of the Mos-Lab system “demos” and others. There is not a hard and fast line between these categories of “jams or demos.”
Be Sandy?
In my opinion module demos should be in separate threads, not one big catch all thread. The issue with a big demo thread is that discussion, potentially about several different modules, will potentially be all mixed up together and hard to follow. I've seen this happen other places and it gets confusing quickly! Much easier for other users searching to find and follow along with a single more focused demo thread about a specific module.

A big sticky new 5U videos thread I think would be good fun. Does it have to be just videos though or would audio be ok too for those of us who don't really make videos? It would be highly preferable not to cross-post any content though as it's generally something we actively discourage here, as with a majority of forums.

Let's see where the discussion goes here first and if there's a general consensus reached by the weekend then a sticky thread can ensue.
Ockeghem
[quote="Be Sandy?"]In my opinion module demos should be in separate threads, not one big catch all thread. The issue with a big demo thread is that discussion, potentially about several different modules, will potentially be all mixed up together and hard to follow. I've seen this happen other places and it gets confusing quickly! Much easier for other users searching to find and follow along with a single more focused demo thread about a specific module. [\quote]

Good point.

Quote:
A big sticky new 5U videos thread I think would be good fun. Does it have to be just videos though or would audio be ok too for those of us who don't really make videos?


I think audio is okay too.

Quote:
It would be highly preferable not to cross-post any content though as it's generally something we actively discourage here, as with a majority of forums.


Yes; but perhaps one could upload a file once, say to the 5U forum, and then mention it or provide a link to it in another section of the forum, say the “Your Tunes Here” section?
Thalassa
For me audio is ok too. Also I think that just pure technical demos should not be posted there. Just musical content including module demos in a musical context.
hsosdrum
Thalassa wrote:
For me audio is ok too. Also I think that just pure technical demos should not be posted there. Just musical content including module demos in a musical context.


Agreed. The obvious place for module makers to post these would be on their websites, where after seeing a good demo of a module a customer could purchase it with only a couple of clicks.
trentpmcd
I guess my opinion is that there can be a catch-all sticky that is up there for any and all new 5-U videos (please new, and not bringing up all your old stuff) whether jamming, a song, a demo or whatever. But then, if you have a demo, I think it would be fine to start a new thread to discuss the module (or whatever) being demoed, even if it is also in the sticky for posterity.
ranix
I prefer threads that aren't sticky and just bounce back to the top of the thread list when updated. Like the what are you doing in 5u this weekend thread
blw
Euro is starting to have a crazy number of sticky threads. I'd add them sparingly were it up to me, though of course it isn't. Relevant threads easily stay at the top by their own merit, particularly in a quiet forum like 5U.
kindredlost
blw wrote:
Euro is starting to have a crazy number of sticky threads. I'd add them sparingly were it up to me, though of course it isn't. Relevant threads easily stay at the top by their own merit, particularly in a quiet forum like 5U.

A very good point. I think the forum already has solutions to make this work well but most don't use the tools.

There are really not very many people who commit the hours and days it takes to do a decent demo so a dedicated thread like that might be fairly slow and inactive. A sticky would be a faster way to find it but if it's inactive then it might be ignored quite a bit.

Any thread I want to follow I "WATCH" it. That is already a way to keep abreast of any new posts and it is the best way (for those with email notifications).


Also the search function should be able to work with the subject line constraint but most don't properly title their posts. If it were required in a demo post thread to have the module in the subject line, then finding the relevant module demo would be MUCH easier.

So maybe a thread for demos only with a constraint such as listing the particular module in the subject line would be a good thing, and if you are really wanting to see anything new to it then you can click the "watch this topic for replies".

I like 5U music posts as much as demos but for those who want to filter out for demos then a thread for that could be started easily. It is up to the member to use the monitoring tools properly. A "sticky" status will probably not help to make it more visible or easy to find.
kindredlost
Using the subject line is easy...



So this is a way to make the post within a thread easier to find in searches.

The subject line for this particular post is at the top line of this post.



All this may seem academic but it is something that can help to make threads easier to find. There is no practical way to make a thread more visible by means of a "sticky". A sticky status just makes it faster to find due to not having to use a search... but (and this is the main point), you must already know it is there if it is a sticky. It doesn't make it MORE visible. That is what the "watch" function is for.


Anyway, I still voted for this but because I will know of it as a sticky. I will still use the subject line and "watch" function to make it more visible for my ease.
Thalassa
kindredlost wrote:
Using the subject line is easy...


After so many years using the forum, I didn't know about that. d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! I thought that subject was only for new topics.

kindredlost wrote:
Any thread I want to follow I "WATCH" it. That is already a way to keep abreast of any new posts and it is the best way (for those with email notifications).


I also do that. And even you don't need to check your mail. In the main page of the forum there is a link to check if it has been any activity in your watched posts.

Thalassa
Ok I just open the topic "Post your NEW 5U Audio and Videos here". As some people pointed out it doesn't need to be sticky so it's up the moderators of the forum smile

I added some basic rules to post there , please let me know here what do you think about them and if you would add or remove something

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222524
sduck
I'll make it a sticky if you remove the last requirement. Don't need arguments about videos that cross the lines between demos and music.
Thalassa
Done thumbs up thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group