MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Must Have euro Modules you would like to see in 5u ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Must Have euro Modules you would like to see in 5u ?
josaka
as a curio and possibly an outline for 5u builders ..was wondering what
"must have" modules would be on your list for Euro>5u ?

(video may be helpful smile )
Thalassa
In general there is much more choice for CV and control modules, like complex sequencers, random pattern generators and also much more performance oriented modules like touch keyboards ,

But is also true that behind obscure names there are a lot of normal modules.

hamildad
off the top of my head and based on my limited experience

Pamelas Workout - (old version with NOS LEDs)
Or any ALM - busy circuits stuff, they would be great to make limited batch 5U stuff.

MI Marbles - need more random action in 5U, and almost everything else has been ported to 5U thats MI

Intellijel - uScale & Intellijel - Ustep < make a feature stocked quantiser or gate trigger sequencer thats digital so can have shuffle, step length, VC controlled scale shifting, single and offset output.

Musicthing - Turing machine with expanders (Analogue craftsman Version doesnt have clock out and cannot be expanded on, which is a real shame)

Qu Bit stuff seems to be nice and well thought out (although see below)

more esoteric Doepfer stuff like A-196, A-143-9,A-110-4 (doepfer is good as its cheap so you can take a punt on the more weird stuff)

I find a lot of Eurorack stuff nowadays just too complex for its own good. I was really interested in the new QU-bit Bloom sequencer, till I saw a video and its all click one button for channel one, and then click again for channel two, so you have a really complex and amazing sequencer and no visual feedback what so ever on what your settings are..... it might be less value to make a one channel version, but it might actually be a nicer module to use and compose with...

taking good ideas out of Eurorack and making them sit well with the 5U ethos would be great. even if that means simplifying them for the old fart brigade. Simply porting them over runs the risk of losing the benefits of Eurorack (price,small space,denseness of features) whilst not getting the benefits of 5U (clear design, ergonomics, WYSIWYG)
johny_gtr
If euro is my only one modular system I say:

Zadar, Marbles, Stages - modulation and random,
Five 12 vector sequencer - it's the best and no near analog in both euro and mu world.
Plaits is already here (Churtil version) which is good but not so much like for previous 4 modules.

Now I definitely realized that I need both modular systems:
euro for weird stuff + percussion + live performance (ok, semi-live performance) and MU is for pure east coast analog sound with top-notch modules with superb quality, components.

According to this, I'm waiting for more 'as close as it can be' to original modules like ARP 2500, Polyfusion, maybe some filters/vca/ring mods from another great analog synths but all in one format MU (please not original specs/colours).

I don't want to start a holy war (or just blaming me) but I can hear the difference in comparison between My SW/ML 901/921 osc and osc from euro world (just simple pulse or triangle tone, and simple section). But the difference between dotcom osc and euro osc can be not so big. After modern digital delay/reverb, the difference between all of them can be around 0.
sduck
Stuff that really works for me in euro -

Maths.

Ornament & Crime

Performer sequencer

Morphagene

QPAS

Mimeophone

Planar2

e370 (can't do without)

Frames

Optomix

Mordax Data
josaka
johny_gtr wrote:

According to this, I'm waiting for more 'as close as it can be' to original modules like ARP 2500, Polyfusion, maybe some filters/vca/ring mods from another great analog synths but all in one format MU (please not original specs/colours).

I don't want to start a holy war (or just blaming me) but I can hear the difference in comparison between My SW/ML 901/921 osc and osc from euro world (just simple pulse or triangle tone, and simple section). But the difference between dotcom osc and euro osc can be not so big. After modern digital delay/reverb, the difference between all of them can be around 0.

yep.. effects.. the big leveller.. why I dont like effect demos with effects generally..
also would agree with thalassa that euro strength is really in rhythm generation.. would be nice to have some more nice simple funky timing distressor/multiplyers in 5u.. I would say that the old west east lines are blurring in 5u ..
would like to see a great ring mod or 2 in 5u there is the SW bode which is nice..
sduck
Oh - rhythm generation - yes, I already did a conversion of the 4ms early timing things, which is a really powerful module -

SCMRCD front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

I built a few MOTM versions, and i think AC or FSFX did several MU versions.
Sir Ruff
I would LOVE to see a Buchla/Verbos Harmonic Generator in 5U. Insta-buy for me. AFAIK, there is nothing comparable currently?
ranix
Euclidean Circles
Dilibob
I would like to see more analog computing, something like maths but anlog with neural compares and gating functions with different noise signals. I dont want to see digital stuff smashed into 5u, i prefer to keep that in euro format or the computer.
bwhittington
My Euro system is largely based around 1010music’s toolbox and bitbox. Toolbox provides digital sequencing, which minimizes headaches live. The bitbox adds sampling, which I use for manipulating rhythm and fx bits. Those type of functions are largely missing in 5U. I’m pretty happy having them in Euro, though. Analog sequencing is 5u’s strength, but I’d be into a module that was a channel of a Buchla 251e type function or a cv recorder with play/rec sync. Not going to be holding my breath there.

My case also includes a voice module, a few utilities, and Magneto and Modcan Dual Delay, which echoes that other thread about delays a bit.
Leverkusen
I am not a big fan of fancy digital toys or other mutable instruments in my 5U rack. Interesting analogue computing/routing options like switches and clock dividers/multipliers and analogue effects like wave folding, delay, frequency shifting, reverb, distortion - all under voltage control, would be great though.

For example there is this fancy eurorack sequencer that I would love to see in 5U.

SlayerBadger!
josaka
would like to see something like the AJH Ring SM ...

DrReverendSeance
ranix wrote:
Euclidean Circles

This!
josaka
DrReverendSeance wrote:
ranix wrote:
Euclidean Circles

This!

its in O_c from freestateFX.. no.? (granted its got some menus.. smile )
it also has turing machine .. bowning and a heap of other motions.. smile
Leverkusen
Club of the Knobs offer a euclidian sequencer too.

Be Sandy?
I'm generally quite happy with my euro being euro and my 5U being 5U. That said, my 5U is all Modcan B series and is fairly "digital" in nature already.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Expert Sleepers ES3/6/8 have 5U versions. I enjoy the easy computer integration they offer with euro.
Stereotactixxx
I don't know. Once you cave and start a euro system, the craving to have the same modules in 5U fades. Sure, eurorack is still an inferior format to 5U, but on an individual module level, I think a eurorack module is often at least as good in the format it was designed for as in a half-baked conversion to 5U.

But if I can have the same module for the same money in 5U, really taking advantage of the bigger knobs, bigger jacks, coherent looks and with a panel design that I get, then why not? The wish list will however be way longer than what I can afford, anyway.
johny_gtr
Stereotactixxx wrote:
I don't know. Once you cave and start a euro system, the craving to have the same modules in 5U fades. Sure, eurorack is still an inferior format to 5U, but on an individual module level, I think a eurorack module is often at least as good in the format it was designed for as in a half-baked conversion to 5U.

But if I can have the same module for the same money in 5U, really taking advantage of the bigger knobs, bigger jacks, coherent looks and with a panel design that I get, then why not? The wish list will however be way longer than what I can afford, anyway.

MI Stages will be great in MU. And it will be better for MU world (like swiss knife of lfo/s&h/eg) and for Stages. Current euro version has micro pots that are almost impossible to set to proper position. To have the same price of module in euro and mu, Mu at least need to have the same market.
DrReverendSeance
Thanks Leverkusen and josaka for pointing out these Euclidien sequencers in 5U.

The Euclidien circles is a special variation in Euro, with a more visual interface.

ranix
Yeah, the interface is great. It really fits with the rest of my synthesizer, it's nice and simple and can be edited quickly on the fly.
johny_gtr
Sir Ruff wrote:
I would LOVE to see a Buchla/Verbos Harmonic Generator in 5U. Insta-buy for me. AFAIK, there is nothing comparable currently?

I think that PCBs are available for clones in Buchla format. If we have a proper builder, who can create a clone with right components we can create a kick-starter/pre-order for it for minimizing price from one side and risks from the other wink

As a workaround, I have 6 oscillators (and only two osc controllers) but can tweak the tone according one octave via frequency(vernier). This plus 2 VC 3 channel mixers, plus a sequencer with random on note gates (like Vector Sequencer) can provide interesting results.

From Buchla world some Tokio Tape Music Center Buchla 100 clones sound very raw (which is good for analog sound for me)
http://tokyo-tape-music-center.xyz/

I'm not so sure, but the components make the difference. TTMC clones it looks like have solid discrete components base

Maybe someone would like to make some clones in MU format (filters are interesting)
ericD13
Mutables Instruments !
These modules are driving me into eurorack.

Joranalogue modules are very interesting too.

And sequencers ... Metropolis, five12 vector,
Prunesquallor
The System80 Jove filter, a killer clone of the Jupiter 6 filter.

The design is open source which suggests they're open to licensing.
levelhead3
johny_gtr wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

I think that PCBs are available for clones in Buchla format. If we have a proper builder, who can create a clone with right components we can create a kick-starter/pre-order for it for minimizing price from one side and risks from the other wink

As a workaround, I have 6 oscillators (and only two osc controllers) but can tweak the tone according one octave via frequency(vernier). This plus 2 VC 3 channel mixers, plus a sequencer with random on note gates (like Vector Sequencer) can provide interesting results.

From Buchla world some Tokio Tape Music Center Buchla 100 clones sound very raw (which is good for analog sound for me)
http://tokyo-tape-music-center.xyz/

I'm not so sure, but the components make the difference. TTMC clones it looks like have solid discrete components base

Maybe someone would like to make some clones in MU format (filters are interesting)

I think Tony at Analog Craftsman has a fair number of 5u ported Buchla modules in his system - might be worth reaching out to see what he did and might still be able to do.
Prunesquallor
Prunesquallor wrote:

Oops! Forgot the vid. d'oh!

josaka
this thing..

Be Sandy?
Hmm. Just saw this clever preset controller module. I usually do this sort of thing using Max and an ES3/8, and there are other modular ways of achieving some of what it does, but it's pretty neat and would make a nice 5U addition.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222769
modmax69
Love to see this filter in 5U:

Frequency Central Raging Bull 3.0

Raging Bull 3.0
josaka
joranalogue were mentioned earlier in the thread here is their phase filter
.. not enough phase filters in 5u (if any!! ? )

tardishead
modmax69 wrote:

Raging Bull 3.0

mmmmmmmmmm
ask Rick at FC. I think you might have a pleasant surprise
megaohm
modmax69 wrote:

Raging Bull 3.0

That is also a DIY pcb kit so you could have that in your system as an MU module now (more like a month or so).
I'm estimating it will come to $300-$350.
Get in touch if you want this done.
PM or email me direct:
phil[at]megaohmaudio.com
megaohm
tardishead wrote:
modmax69 wrote:

Raging Bull 3.0

mmmmmmmmmm
ask Rick at FC. I think you might have a pleasant surprise

Oops!
I sent my message too late.
lol
But it looks like at least one person's wish will come to be.
Good work.
thumbs up
doublestewart
Anything and everything by Mannequins
josaka
is rick going to do these in 5u ?

his 5u has been a bit helter skelter ..no demos no official definate release times.. just sort of faded into the wild.. Jeremy said he said doing a 5u demo.. that was a month or two ago.. my only gripe is a 2u osc when all the other modules are 2x1u as the originals were 1u..
ericD13
[quote="josaka"]
.. not enough phase filters in 5u (if any!! ? )

[video]

There is one : STG mankato
http://stgsoundlabs.com/products/mankato_filter_mu.htm
johny_gtr
Prunesquallor wrote:
Prunesquallor wrote:

Oops! Forgot the vid. d'oh!

Just found

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3LthutBSOQ/?igshid=igtphsc52b5o
frequencycentral
Noisebug have all current Frequency Central MU modules in stock: X VCO, X VCF, Dual X VCA, Dual X ADSR and Wave Runner LFO. Synthcube have also bought pcbs and panels to make up into full DIY kits.

Our next ventures into MU will be Raging Bull, a 1U DSP stereo chorus/tap delay/plate reverb, and a 1U quantiser with 8 scales/8 chords under CV control.
hamildad
frequencycentral wrote:
1U quantiser with 8 scales/8 chords under CV control.

yes please.
josaka
its not eurp per say..
but.. a good 5u 901 clone with both hard/soft sync and pwm smile

modmax69
frequencycentral wrote:
Noisebug have all current Frequency Central MU modules in stock: X VCO, X VCF, Dual X VCA, Dual X ADSR and Wave Runner LFO. Synthcube have also bought pcbs and panels to make up into full DIY kits.

Our next ventures into MU will be Raging Bull, a 1U DSP stereo chorus/tap delay/plate reverb, and a 1U quantiser with 8 scales/8 chords under CV control.

Looking forward to these. When do you think we can expect the Raging Bull?
frequencycentral
modmax69 wrote:
frequencycentral wrote:

Raging Bull is completed, as is the FX module a.k.a.Stasis Leak. We're just finishing up the quantiser and will release all 3 together before the year is out #stockingfillers
modmax69
frequencycentral wrote:
modmax69 wrote:
frequencycentral wrote:

Raging Bull is completed, as is the FX module a.k.a.Stasis Leak. We're just finishing up the quantiser and will release all 3 together before the year is out #stockingfillers

Sweet!
Prunesquallor
josaka wrote:
would like to see something like the AJH Ring SM ...

Reviving this thread. I'd like the entire AJH line! I've just come across some incredible demos in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133650&start=all&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc
Purveyor2
seriously, i just don't get it
Prunesquallor
Purveyor2 wrote:
seriously, i just don't get it

seriously, i just don't get it eek! Frying Pan Bash!
ba1
I'd like to see many of the Verbos line, especially the Amplitude Tone Controller, Harmonic Oscillator, Complex Oscillator and Multi-Tap Delay. His controllers would be great too!

Also, the new Instruo wave folder sounds great!
TimeRaveler
I’m currently looking at starting a small euro control skiff with Pressure Points, Brains, Planar2, and Batumi. It would be awesome if those had 5U versions.
BendingBus
Currently having a MOTM-352 built. All the awesome new Schreiber stuff should be available in proper 5U.
cornutt
BendingBus wrote:
Currently having a MOTM-352 built.

Who's doing it for you? I've got an E340 and E350 reformatted to MU by Low-Gain Electronics.
BendingBus
cornutt wrote:
BendingBus wrote:
Currently having a MOTM-352 built.

Who's doing it for you? I've got an E340 and E350 reformatted to MU by Low-Gain Electronics.

Pete of Frogleg Synthesis. Looks like a e352, he used the same panel design from Paul (font, spacing), just moved to MOTM panel size. Will hopefully have it, and can post pics, in a few weeks.
elmegil
I could just post pics now though :-D

Happy to do for others, let me know in PM or whatever. Takes me a couple weeks to get a panel-less 352 from Paul and for me to order the panel from FPE and wire it up.... Sol's is taking longer because there are other pieces than just this (though let me know, I can just ship the 352 first, it's done smile )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 3