MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NM G1 with mac os x mojave
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author NM G1 with mac os x mojave
ketem13
Hi,

I'm considering the Nord Modular G1 hardware synth and was wondering if anyone using it with mac os x mojave and can confirm it all working well ?

edit: what are the differences between the g1 and the micro modular ?

Thanks
suboptimal
The G1 has 4 voice modules. The Micro Modular contains one of those, so it runs out of voices more quickly and can't run more than one patch at a time.
ketem13
suboptimal wrote:
The G1 has 4 voice modules. The Micro Modular contains one of those, so it runs out of voices more quickly and can't run more than one patch at a time.

Thanks
Difficult to decide between the two
Corrupt
Mojave no problem using this port of the editor: http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1
Navs
The Windows exe works directly under the latest version of Wine, no need to bottle. (edit: under OSX HS).

Which NM1, keyboard or rack? FWIW I ended up with the Micromodular, two of them! I love the MM love

Yes, it has less knobs and can only run one patch at a time but, as we know, limitations can be good. On my G2 keys I never run more than one patch and try to stick to one page of knobs, for example (unless running one of those crazy Tim Kleinert patches!). If you need more with the MM, pair it with a Faderfox controller or use Morph groups. That said, what I also wanted from the NM1 was portability, so the MM won over the Keys I had.
ketem13
Navs wrote:
The Windows exe works directly under the latest version of Wine, no need to bottle. (edit: under OSX HS).

Which NM1, keyboard or rack? FWIW I ended up with the Micromodular, two of them! I love the MM love

Yes, it has less knobs and can only run one patch at a time but, as we know, limitations can be good. On my G2 keys I never run more than one patch and try to stick to one page of knobs, for example (unless running one of those crazy Tim Kleinert patches!). If you need more with the MM, pair it with a Faderfox controller or use Morph groups. That said, what I also wanted from the NM1 was portability, so the MM won over the Keys I had.

I was thinking about the NM1 rack. no keys.

But for the moment it seems I can get the MM for much cheaper so thinking to go with it.

I try to experiment with the editor software on mac (the one found on stage engine site). While making patches seems to be easy I did not manage to load patches I download from the internet.
here his a screen shot of the error I get

any idea why?

Thanks
Navs
Rastko's patches open on my computer. But you're trying to open 'noisyhold' - have you tried renaming it to get rid of the underscore?

Otherwise, as I wrote, Wine with the Windows exe works on High Sierra. I see I have a four year old install of Wine (1.8-rc4). Previous versions did not allow proper communication with the hardware.

On your decision, I guess it depends on the price. I see the MM has crept up recently. The thing to understand about the extra voices/DSP cards is that 'more' means more polyphony, not necessarily more complex patches: i.e., you have 4 x 100%, not 400%.

Depending on the patches you want to make, this can be important, so the rack could be a good choice for you e.g., if you want to want to play a DX7-style Fender Rhodes. Let's say the basic architecture of that sound takes up 50% of one DSP. On the MM you'll be able to play two note polyphony. On an unexpanded keys or rack you'll have 4 x two notes, i.e. 8 note polyphony. Correct me if I've got this wrong, people, I haven't got the manual to hand wink
sutekina bipu-on
ketem13 wrote:
Navs wrote:

I was thinking about the NM1 rack. no keys.

But for the moment it seems I can get the MM for much cheaper so thinking to go with it.

I try to experiment with the editor software on mac (the one found on stage engine site). While making patches seems to be easy I did not manage to load patches I download from the internet.
here his a screen shot of the error I get

any idea why?

Thanks

That error is very self explanatory. If you do "Get Info" on your Nord Modular folder, the folders are separated with forward slashes. But Windows uses backwards slashes.

I do't want to post a list of hacky steps to get it to work involving Terminal since that would probably cause more confusion. So i'll tell you to download WineBottler and use that to launch Nord Modular Editor.

You may also have one of those other characters somewhere. Do the Get Info thing on the folder so you can look at the path and see if there are any of the characters it tells you not to use, or if it's just forward slashes.
ketem13
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
That error is very self explanatory. If you do "Get Info" on your Nord Modular folder, the folders are separated with forward slashes. But Windows uses backwards slashes.

Thanks - seems that it was the problem

Navs wrote:

On your decision, I guess it depends on the price. I see the MM has crept up recently. The thing to understand about the extra voices/DSP cards is that 'more' means more polyphony, not necessarily more complex patches: i.e., you have 4 x 100%, not 400%.

Im looking to explorer feedback's ideas rather then polyphony so I think MM will be good to begin with.

I was wondering about midi mapping - I see the nord MM got only for knobs to play with while usually patches have much more .
Is there any option to map external midi control such as novation launch control ?

Thanks
ketem13
Hi,
So I received the Nord MM but I've got a major issue:
I manage to load and store patches from the editor to the MM and I also manage to move through patches via the MM two push buttons on the right-hand side, but unfortunately no sound is coming out. Any idea why?

(volume knob is turn all the way up)

Thanks
Navs
Are they someone else's pre-made patches? Maybe using different output routings?

To be sure, just build a simple patch with an output module and a VCO. Does that work?

ketem13
Navs wrote:
Are they someone else's pre-made patches? Maybe using different output routings?

To be sure, just build a simple patch with an output module and a VCO. Does that work?

Thanks! its working now both with the editor open and without! not sure what was exactly the issue.

But the main thing I try to solve is to use my usb midi controller (Novation Launch Control XL) with the patches I made. I don't understand if with my current setup I can do so or do I need some other gear to communicate between the objects ?
Navs
Do you have the manual? wink

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular

It's simple: right click on the knob you want to control, select MIDI controllers, then chose the CC.

What you do need is another MIDI cable between the Novation and MM, i.e. in addition to the two cables you need for communicating with the editor.
ketem13
Navs wrote:
Do you have the manual? wink

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular

It's simple: right click on the knob you want to control, select MIDI controllers, then chose the CC.

What you do need is another MIDI cable between the Novation and MM, i.e. in addition to the two cables you need for communicating with the editor.

I did so, but when I'm assign a knob in the Midi Controller --> other... window noting is happening. I'm not sure even if the editor recognize my midi controller has no name is appear
ketem13
Edit: All working, sorry for the post..

Hi again,
So I just received the Midisport but I don't manage to send midi from my controller to MM. My setup is like this: Midisport connected to the computer via USB. I have midi channel in ableton who is MIDI IN assign to my midi controller and the Midi out is assign to the MidiSport OutA (I can see at the meter of that channel that midi info is received). The Out A of the MidiSport connected to the Midi In port of the MM, and the MidiOut of the MM is connected to the in A of the MidiSport. I tried a Simple patch and I map some pitch knobs of simple osc's to the CC numbers of some of my controller knobs but the MM is not affected. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks
Monotremata
Corrupt wrote:
Mojave no problem using this port of the editor: http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1

Except for the fact that you can't save your banks to the computer. The editor will crash every single time. Its something to do with Wine itself, even if you roll your own editor in it, still crashes when you try to save the bank from the Nord to the Mac.

Ended up sticking with VirtualBox/WinXP and the actual Modular Editor. Works just like it did 20 years ago along with Sound Diver, EOSLink for my E-Mu, etc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1