MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Piezo drum pad as trigger
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Piezo drum pad as trigger
/\/\/\/
syncretism wrote:
A very hi-Z preamp would be a boon for your piezo mic-inclined customers!

On that note (and branching off to this thread)... I've been thinking again about drum pad triggers for DRM1/2/LPG. Would the current Dual Pre be reasonable to use for getting dynamic range from e.g. a piezo contact mic?

- Main trigger inputs of DRM1/2 are variable dynamics depending on amplitude of gate signal.
- LPG Hit – also dynamic?
- DRM1X filter trig is a comparator, so no dynamics. Right?

Adding a S+H to capture the amplitude of the drum pad hit, and then patching this to the decay env CV of the DRM2 could be interesting for a more playable drum.. in theory.

Has anyone messed with this much? I've plugged in contact mics direct to DRM1 a couple times and feel like it could have some potential.
BugBrand
Yeah, only the DRM1 & DRM2 have the dynamic inputs.
Something I've thought quite a bit about over the years but not quite got happy with how to approach.

I don't overly recommend the Dual Pre for contact mic work, though sure it works to some extent - for one the input impedance is lower than you'd typically want for piezo work (though perhaps less important if just looking for triggers). Also I have not looked in depth at the possible voltage amplitude of piezos - whether there could be overload etc.
BananaPlug
BugBrand wrote:
Also I have not looked in depth at the possible voltage amplitude of piezos - whether there could be overload etc.

I’m told piezo can hit 50V or more. Typical fix is to put zener diodes to ground right at the input. Simple and effective.
syncretism
/\/\/\/ wrote:

On that note (and branching off to this thread)... I've been thinking again about drum pad triggers for DRM1/2/LPG. Would the current Dual Pre be reasonable to use for getting dynamic range from e.g. a piezo contact mic?

Dynamic range, definitely. I use a contact mic to trigger the DRM2 no problem (though it can certainly trigger when you don't want it to; they're pretty sensitive). Getting the best frequency response, of course, isn't what you asked for, but I use a simple buffer if I want to use the piezo as a sound source, and that works quite well with the dual preamp and all of the red devices.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1