MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

semi-ambient semi-modular semi-thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author semi-ambient semi-modular semi-thread
docile fossil
hello all! enjoying poking around the forum and gleaning what i can here and there. thought i'd start thread #98573 for "help a noob" instead of hijacking someone else's. semi-rambling thoughts ahead.

having just recently started my ~modular journey, i'd like to get some feedback on my plotting for modules for this kind of music; or, perhaps a better tack, who makes music in this vein? to me, it's on the spectrum between drone and electronica — more melodic soundscapey and less reliant on beats or too many blips and bloops. my touchstones are tim hecker, oneohtrix, actress, that sort of thing.

current thing
future thing

aside from reverb and delay/looping, the commonality in those 3 are good amount of sampling, some granular processing, and what overall probably amounts to a software-heavy environment. i'm finding out that generative music on modular requires a complex setup — sorta daunting since modular is already complex (for me, at this stage). i can get some interesting textural things working with my current setup ... which is making me realize that, for now, it's likely more a question of creative patching / digging into current capabilities and less of "get this module to do this thing." maybe i just solved this. thanks for reading my livejournal entry. Mr. Green but my thinking is more voices (in Knit + other external things) and some type of not-Neutron filtering (Sisters) to add to what is already super fun to mess with.

another item to wrap my head around: patching Pluck into the Neutron for outputting both. currently i'm summing vca and Pluck and sumoutting to delay in, and that gets me both — but summing like this feels sidesteppy in some way. perhaps this is just How Modular Works and part of my learning process. is there another way to be thinking about this particular patch?
EATyourGUITAR
I think all the different ways of approaching it are all valid. it kills me to see everyone with the same 5 modules making the same kind of sounds but I guess they are happy. lightbath demos are popular with all the mutable instruments stuff so maybe that is more your thing. clouds is the granular processor that gets recommended the most. I didn't like the bit depth and the samplerate. your racks look totally fine. OC is a beast. zdsp with valhalla reverb is amazing. nice rack. you are pretty good at doing research. that 6HP could be two erica modules. or a disting and a 2HP module. if you downsize to a Doepfer A-135-2 then you can fit a STO in there for a sub osc but no disting.
isol
If you have a laptop, I'd highly recommend looking at getting an ES8 to connect your virtual (VCVRack) to your physical racks. It gives you a lot of flexibility to try out modules in different combinations and really get a sense of what works for your sound.

I'm pretty committed on the Ambient / Electronic soundscape angle and swear by a double Morphagene combination smile

This one is from about a year ago and my rack has moved on a. lot but the main sound source is a single Morphagene.
https://soundcloud.com/occur/sea-sick
docile fossil
thanks, EATyourGUITAR. i've set my guitars aside since building the rack, but with the Z-DSP, i'm looking for ways to integrate them. totally get the Valhalla hype now.

i'm a bit wary of the Disting even though it seems incredible. i'm menu diving enough with the o_C. razz the Bastl Grandpa is also on my shortlist as a granular processor. edit: yeah, Disting is on the list now. it's wild.

and the whole Mutable family is rad. certainly seems like the easiest way to get pleasing results, and part of the reason why i have the Pluck and am thinking about the Plaits/Knit... personally not interested in the succulent ambient thing, but do enjoy the stuff from those who do it well. smile

isol wrote:
If you have a laptop, I'd highly recommend looking at getting an ES8 to connect your virtual (VCVRack) to your physical racks. It gives you a lot of flexibility to try out modules in different combinations and really get a sense of what works for your sound.

I'm pretty committed on the Ambient / Electronic soundscape angle and swear by a double Morphagene combination smile

This one is from about a year ago and my rack has moved on a. lot but the main sound source is a single Morphagene.
https://soundcloud.com/occur/sea-sick

yeah! totally in line with what i'm thinking, very cool. the Liveloop seems to occupy similar territory as the Morphagene, and i'm running everything through my old 2880 for grabbing and looping stuff. as with all these things, but especially the Liveloop, there's a steeeeep learning curve.

ES8 also looks way more flexible than the UR22 i'm using to connect, and i have yet to run this stuff with VCV — but that's probably the most effective way to test things out. appreciate the insight!
flashheart
All I see is an almost complete absence of additional modulation sources in your future build. You've added 3 Sisters and Plaits but I see nothing to control / modulate them? No additional mixing / attenuators either.
docile fossil
flashheart, very fair. i have some more researching to do. it's funny, even with the gigantic neutron in this case, i thought i'd have plenty of space for anything — but i'm having a blast just keyshifting sequences through the o_C and stupid amounts of reverb. it's been spooky halloween sounds all week. twisted
AW198
Coming from someone who makes a lot of semi-ambient semi-modular self-generating music, I would advise you to make sure you have enough modulation and enough attenuverters/mixers to control said modulation. Personally I like modules that are very, very flexible - for example, I have a small (9U 60hp) rack, but have 2 Maths in it because the function generators can be CV controlled in multiple ways. An AD envelope with CV controllable attack and decay, and an end-of-attack/decay gate, is much more useful for ambient music than an ADHDSR envelope that isn't CV controllable, for example.

Also most of your sound comes from your use of effects - reverb especially plays a huge part in the tone and mood of ambient music. Be picky about your processing modules/out-of-rack gear.
Agawell
irrelevant of the type of music, or whether someone is wanting to build a modular effects box (which is basically the same as a full synth, less the vcos, imo) the thing most people do, when they are starting out, is fill their case with all the shiny, trendy toys and forget (or know nothing of) the joy of utility modules!@!!!

more vcas, (matrix) mixers, attenuators, mults, inverters, sequential switches etc etc etc before more effects or voices/oscillators

every time I think of getting a new module I try to work out if I will need more utilities, and if so what - lots of modules, for example, have no attenuators/attenuverters on their cv inputs, do I have enough mixer channels, do I need a vca or an lpg to go after it? do I need more envelope generators

generally utility modules are relatively cheap - doepfer and laddik are great for these types of modules!! and can massively extend limited modulation sources - fewer modulation sources + more utility = more cohesive modulation within the system as a whole
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1