MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

rack for 90s Idm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author rack for 90s Idm
jadrowsky88
I have been researching for months about the possibility of doing a sort of melodic IDM with the eurorack and I'm planning a rack similar to this, I have most of the modules in the upper part (Cs-l, Mangrove, Telharmonic) and the utilities/effects in the first three rows, now I would like to expand the possibility to produce complex rhythms which characterize the idm style I like, my main concern is that this rack would be overkill/won't be enough in order to acheive the result and my other concern is if I could obtain something similar with a digitakt or an octatrack.

Here is the rack:

I'm still undecided about the assimil8or and the rainmaker but all the rest I think is necessary somehow
sutekina bipu-on
You should get a takt/track/drum machine and use it with the rack. I would honestly say you could drop some of the fancier modules and go with more digital/analog oscs and samplers especially liveloop could be good for you. some digital fx are probably welcome too. If you want that 90s idm sound youll probably be doing some heavy duty sampling with fx.
rew_
very little of that screams 90s IDM if I'm being honest. I'd aim for simpler oscillators, some filters, non-LPG VCAs.

for rhythms I'd want something more generative like Trigger Riot or just a bunch of clock dividers and logic modules to route things interesting places. Mutable Branches would be very good for 90s IDM.

Squid Salmple might be more appropriate sound-wise than the Assimil8or.

buy what inspires you of course but I'm not sure how well what you've got there fits your stated purpose.
bemushroomed
MUM M8 Filter (for drum samples / loops)
Bitbox
Feedback modules PRE BX mixers (old boss mixer clone)
X0X Heart
Stepper Acid
MonSoon (way better than something like 2HP Freez which i've owned twice), I use it with Kammerl Beat-Repet.. might even prefer it to something more complex like rainmaker or Morphagene, but can't really tell yet since i've not tried these two..

...these are some of the modules i use for that (IDM and break beat, 90's inspired).. interesting to read other people's take on it though.

But yes I've also been looking at Rainmaker quite a lot.. i'm not sure if its me or the demos but haven't been too keen on the sound quality, i guess there's some harshness in it that i dont like. But again, might be shitty demos or something. When i hear e.g Magneto i'm always "oh, that sounds really good, great sound quality"..

Marbles is a good choice, i've got two + Logica XT and some other stuff for rhythm. Probably gonna get quite a few more NLC modules since i love more wonky stuff.

DLD.. eh, it's ok i guess, but i sold mine, it's kind of a boring delay.. it's something i found more interesting on paper than how it was in practical use. it's a no-nonsense module though and its not bad, it is quite big for what it does i think. I use a Disting MK4 instead (4hp). The looping and such, i never really got into that, never got that great results with CV. Has super clean sound.
Glitchmachines
When you say 90s IDM do you mean more the Autechre style or more the Aphex Twin / Squarepusher style?

One module that immediately comes to mind if you're into AFX style stuff is the Erica Sample Drum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ZlevfUIxk
lud
You need a polyphonic synth and 90s drum machines and midi sequencers for 90s electronica (not know as IDM in UK!). Don't think modular is suited to it due to the pre programmed nature of it but anything is possible!
akrenaut
Depending on the style. I would suggest a D-333 Rom player from Ladik (loaded with the Amen break) in combination with a 2hp freez. With the right "controlled chaos" modulation you can get some really good glitchy chopped amen breaks.
bemushroomed
akrenaut wrote:
Depending on the style. I would suggest a D-333 Rom player from Ladik (loaded with the Amen break) in combination with a 2hp freez. With the right "controlled chaos" modulation you can get some really good glitchy chopped amen breaks.

The Ladik ROM player will get boring very fast (i've owned quite a few of them, years back when drum modules were limited in euro). Instead i just got Disting and loaded my own samples + i get 2 outs and 2 voices + way better selection of samples + tons of other things you can do with Disting.

Freez is not a great module due to its latency.. so you'll have latency both from the sample(or ROM) player + latency from freez.. MonSoon (already pictured in the rack) is miles ahead of Freez.
IMO.

Also, isnt that the old Transient (V1) pictured... version II seems to have a lot of improvements. This is also a way better choice than e.g Ladik ROM player.
akrenaut
I'll 2nd the Disting as well. Even if it was only ever used as a sample player its worth the money. I have 3 of them...and honestly with all of the other functionality they are one of my favorite modules.
sutekina bipu-on
I have a romplay and it rules but i have one IC with drum sounds and one with amen breaks. I wanted to get a 3rd with vocal samples on it. I planned to mount a ZIF socket on my rack to swap them a little easier. It is a nice way to offload some sounds you frequently use for your other samplers and not much else.

If you authentically want to sound 90s and not 00s or 10s then you are going to be working with 2 or 3 romplays worth of samples.

Yeah i didnt wanna be too harsh on dude but that rack really wont do shit for 90s idm whether its autechre or aphex style.

Maybe a Nerdseq and a bunch more samplers and a bunch of clock manipulators could get the sound in modular.
Dragonaut
Can’t see any good reason to handle your rhythms or sample manipulation in the rack without the aid of a computer or heavy duty sampler like Octatrack. Obviously a lot of euro would be great for synth voices and maybe sound processing (rainmaker) but for programming a computer is going to take you a lot farther a lot faster.
bemushroomed
Dragonaut wrote:
Can’t see any good reason to handle your rhythms or sample manipulation in the rack without the aid of a computer or heavy duty sampler like Octatrack. Obviously a lot of euro would be great for synth voices and maybe sound processing (rainmaker) but for programming a computer is going to take you a lot farther a lot faster.

I really couldn't disagree more.. i've used eurorack since 2015 and to me what eurorack does best and is the most fun is rhythm and rhythm manipulation, mainly because its just way more fun AND it's also often way faster than to work in a computer, or sample workstations, at least if you really want to work with unpredictability and randomness, and this i key to IDM (imo at least). everything is just a cable away, no bloody menus that bores you to death instead of inspiring you.

My rack is more and more turning into a drum machine / rhythm manipulation station..

For synths, eh, it's kind of boring since you mainly work with 1 voice and rather limited sequencers (in comparison to a computer + euro sequencers are often slower to work with unless you're going for randomness). There are some decent sequencers but i honestly prefer to do synth tracks in the computer. I do love the occasional 1 voice TB 303 voice and similar though in euro.

sutekina bipu-on wrote:

Yeah i didnt wanna be too harsh on dude but that rack really wont do shit for 90s idm whether its autechre or aphex style.

Looks quite stellar to me.. I'd change a few things sure, but overall this will be a wonderful rack for glitchy IDM.

batumi, varigate, monsoon, marbles, transient (go with v2), maths.. all very good choices.
i'd skip the 4ms ones (they feel very, very outdated to me in this day and age) and go with Pam's New Workout. Overall this rack is immensely big for what it tries to do i think.. This can be done way cheaper and smaller. Is the huge-ass mixer needed even, i guess its needed if you are going to use this for live performances and need mixing in the rack.. i get around by connecting many of my modules directly to my soundcard (20+ inputs). When i use mixers i use stuff that colors the sound a lot (Feedback modules mixers for example).
Dragonaut
I guess I just don’t see eurorack style randomness in 90’s IDM although that could be because when I started programming I was aping the rhythms in IDM.

Most of that music was made using a computer paired with hardware synths. Nothing on Tri-Repetae, Richard D. James Album, or Music Has the Right To Children sound like the randomness I hear spitting out of eurorack these days. Most of the programming on those albums is pretty pedestrian in comparison to modern Autechre or Richard Devine for example. Even getting into Druks, Go Plastic, etc. that stuff was made on trackers and hardware samplers.

Even when employing random it is heavily cherry picked and rearranged in a DAW or hardware sampler. I guess what I’m saying is that to make some high quality variance and precision in IDM eurorack is just incredibly cumbersome. I think you’re gonna need to add a DAW to that setup.
bemushroomed
yeah i know most of that music wasnt done with modular. But I can pretty easily get some really sweet sounding Squarepusher or Aphex sounding beats from my modular. you can totally do all this, and perhaps better (and WAY more controlled) in a DAW, personally i couldn't stand doing it though. Just too boring, too slow and in a very uninspiring environment overall, one that would impact the music in a negative way.

I think there's a reason there's been a shift to modular for many of these artists.
Dragonaut
bemushroomed wrote:
But I can pretty easily get some really sweet sounding Squarepusher or Aphex sounding beats from my modular.

Prove it! Haha. I have heard some people like Kodek444 on Instagram do some nice things but honestly most people are just triggering a hardware sampler in a completely non modular way. They just happen to be using eurorack modules.

Some modules would be okay for this duty but there's a reason Squarepusher Went Plastic.
interpolate
I finished a 90's style IDM track complete with amens on my eurorack just yesterday.

https://soundcloud.com/acid1/ageless-october

The beats are mostly Eloquencer, Bitbox, and Clouds with Kammerl firmware.
Synths were 3 hard detuned oscillators, and I still needed to add an external polysynth (in my case it was a TI). I have my eye on Qu-Bit Chords.
bemushroomed
One thing i love is using envelope followers.. that can easily get you Squarepusher territory.. i have some of these very improvised tracks on my Insta, but its currently paused, i'm focusing on 3D modelling + rebuilding my rack currently. I tend to pause my Instagram when i'm not posting there (havent posted for ages), otherwise people just unfollow you i've noticed, or are more likely to do so anyways because they find you boring or whatever.
Glitchmachines
interpolate wrote:
I finished a 90's style IDM track complete with amens on my eurorack just yesterday.

Nice one! Good work - I really enjoyed that! SlayerBadger!
bemushroomed
interpolate wrote:

The beats are mostly Eloquencer, Bitbox, and Clouds with Kammerl firmware.
Synths were 3 hard detuned oscillators, and I still needed to add an external polysynth (in my case it was a TI). I have my eye on Qu-Bit Chords.

Very good smile (listening in my game room / with surround so not optimal heh).
Dragonaut
interpolate wrote:

Pretty cool.

Just in case I wasn't being clear I did not say that drill n bass couldn't be made on eurorack, just that there are better suited tools for your precious time. Just imagine Drukqs was created on a eurorack system. Makes me exhausted just thinking about it.
bemushroomed
For me eurorack is much about happy accidents. But i agree that doing it completely in a euro environment would takes ages.. its not how i work with euro, its too tedious. I record very long takes, then cut, edit, copy/paste in DAW.. very quick workflow for this type of music imo. It's happy accidents that tends to make the music sounding very original, stuff you wouldn't calculate or think up yourself when working in a more controlled environment. Its a perfect balance of chaos and total control.
Glitchmachines
FWIW I've been making "IDM" since the 90s and I would never attempt to make anything strictly on Eurorack for the same reasons others have already mentioned. Way too cumbersome - and it seems like it would only be for the sake of saying that it was all done on modular... for what I'm not sure. It's definitely making things unnecessarily complex. But hey, I can totally get behind that if it's some type of personal challenge or project for fun etc.

I just don't see why someone would spend thousands of dollars on hardware, only to do what can already be done with a computer (or even hardware box) for a fraction of the cost.. and headache.
interpolate
bemushroomed wrote:
For me eurorack is much about happy accidents. But i agree that doing it completely in a euro environment would takes ages.. its not how i work with euro, its too tedious. I record very long takes, then cut, edit, copy/paste in DAW.. very quick workflow for this type of music imo. It's happy accidents that tends to make the music sounding very original, stuff you wouldn't calculate or think up yourself when working in a more controlled environment. Its a perfect balance of chaos and total control.

This!
EATyourGUITAR
That new ohmsonic sequencer or arpegiater or whatever is super dope 90's trance hits.
bemushroomed
Glitchmachines wrote:

I just don't see why someone would spend thousands of dollars on hardware, only to do what can already be done with a computer

Hands on controls... having everything basically just a cable away. A super, super fun way to make music (or chaos, glitchy stuff, experimentation).
I do love Glitchmachines when i'm working in the DAW, but i don't really see myself playing around with it for such an extensive time as i do when i get in the "zone" with eurorack.

And yeah, totally agree overall though, in the beginning i was trying to be like Richard Devine and such artists, making it all in the modular.. but nah. there's a limit of what i'll put myself though, even for modular wink song structure is a pain in the ass for numerous reasons.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2