MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Your Five Favorite 5U Filters
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Your Five Favorite 5U Filters
Gringo Starr
I would like to put together a small-ish rack of 5U filters for processing samples and stems and anything else I can think about running through it. I only have the Corsynth C101 left. Would love to hear some people’s favorite filters as I’ve been out of the 5U world for a while and haven’t kept up much with new modules.

Also I have no interest in anything from Modcan.

Cheers
Be Sandy?
Quote:

Quote:
WTB: Elkorus V3 / Modcan 61A / V-Synth XT

hihi (sorry!)
Gringo Starr
Be Sandy? wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
WTB: Elkorus V3 / Modcan 61A / V-Synth XT

hihi (sorry!)

Haha.. well the 61a isn’t a filter but yeah I need to change that. I don’t even want the XT anymore and I already have the Elkorus too! I’m lazy.

So... any favorites Sandy? smile
BTG
Happy Nerding Fun VCF -- stereo, 1 MU in width, and not just another LPF (which the C101 excels at). I have the Fun VCF, C101, Moon 517, and some Macbeth filters as well, and they all have their uses. I use the Fun VCF and 517 when processing stereo signals though.

If you want more exotic HP/LP topologies and controls then the Moon stuff is worth looking at. I'm probably parting with my 517 soon so if you're interested, drop me a line.
johny_gtr
I have three filters in my current MU setup.

Mos-Lab 904 transistor ladder filter is a classic. I hear some voices that some euro modules like AJH can do the same , but it's not 100% true.

Megaohm MS-20 clone filter is a very good copy of Korg's filter. Acid'y and with good resonance(in comparison with Moog).

Filterbank is really good with percussion and fast arps. Also good as a master Eq
Be Sandy?
I know - just thought it was a funny juxtaposition!

Filters? I'm not much of a filter person at all.
And all my 5U is Modcan anyway. Currently it contains no filters.
In general, I quite like fixed filter banks and bandpass filtering.
But I haven't kept up with what the options are in 5U either.
Flareless
Mine's the Oakley Discrete Ladder Filter
kindredlost
The Yusynth 4072 Filter is very nice. I also have a love for the STG Soundlabs Post Lawsuit LPG. The new version (Rev 2) adds a 1 pole output. I dint have this newer version but the original sounds very nice.

I second Flareless on the Oakley Discreet Ladder. It is a staple in the lineup for me.

I’ll throw in a nod to the filters everyone seems to discount... the Q107 & Q150 from synthesizers.com. I’ve made some added mods to mine to tap into the overdriven features of the Q107 and the switchable pope selection on the Q150. These mods help to expand the range and use of the modules.

I also really cherish the tone of the MOTM 440 Discrete Low Pass Filter. No longer available in the 2U wide MOTM form but I believe FSFX has it in a compact 1U build. Very lovely filter.

Finally I will point out the wonderful STG Sea Devils Filter. A gem.

Okay. That is seven ... sorry
daveholiday
+1 on the Happy Nerding Fun VCF!!

The Corsynth C110 based on the reissue 2044 chip is just fantastic sounding in my opinion. I use it more that my C101 now!

Another filter is The Moon M505 variable state filter. One of the few "Variable State" filters that is truly variable state, and it has CV control over that feature as well.
Flareless
kindredlost wrote:
The Yusynth 4072 Filter is very nice.

I almost forgot this one! I love it and find it adds ARPpy goodness to many patches.
fac
I haven't kept up with new offerings either, so I'm going to go with the usual suspects, some of which are unfortunately no longer available:

- MegaOhm Delta filter. This is simply the craziest, most fun, and possibly best-sounding filter I have. Works well for mostly everything.

- MegaOhm CdS. My favorite LPG, even above my Malekko/Wiard eurorack LPGs. Very "woody" sound, if you know what I mean, and it responds exactly the way I want.

- Dotcom Q150. My go-to lowpass filter. Sure, there are probably better 904 clones, but the Q150 is moogy enough, has more features and is less expensive than other choices. Plus you can overdrive it by sending the signal into both inputs or even feed the filter back to itself for different frequency responses. Now there's even a single-space version of it.

- STG Mankato. I got it recently so I'm still getting to know it, but it's extremely versatile, sounds pretty good, and it's great fun to use it as a quadrature LFO.

- Dotcom Q107. With the Soft-Clipping factory setting, it's a pretty well-mannered filter which does exactly what it's supposed to, and works well for most applications. I often use it as an HPF since it's the only one I have (not counting the Electrix Filter Factory in my FX rack). But change it to Hard-Clipping and you get one of the most screaming f**king filters there is. It's also the cheapest filter I have, by a good amount. I love it.
johny_gtr
In terms of adding some vintage color I think (very imho) not only to use proper PCBs but also trying to find NOS components. Especially after 30-40-50 years they can sound very characterful Miley Cyrus
synthcube
laurentide baal
bandwidth
I only have five filters, so I’ll list them all!

Synthesizers.com Q107 and Q150. I did the hard/soft mod to the Q107. I mod’d the Q150 to include the leveling option for either dotcom or Moog resonance response. I also added a feedback switch to get some extra oomph on the Q150.

Yusynth Minimoog filter. I added a three-way range switch and wired it up similar to the 904A.

I also have an Oakley COTA filter and a STG Sea Devils filter, both unmodified, both great sounding filters.
levelhead3
daveholiday wrote:
Another filter is The Moon M505 variable state filter. One of the few "Variable State" filters that is truly variable state, and it has CV control over that feature as well.

I use CV controlled sweep of the variable state on 99% of the patches I do. Even if it's just for subtle movement it's just the coolest thing ever. I might be a 505 fanboy...
Flareless
I think we're just rehashing the Show Us Your Filters thread.
EPTC
COTK's 907a FFB with inductors is really terrific. It's like adding a forest of wood and other textures to a set of sounds. I would love to compare one day to the Synth Werk one, or one of the Moog rebuilds.

I only have a Model D for the Moog ladder filter but I love it. Just started sending external CV into the filter and it is pretty amazing, too.

Non 5U, but recently picked up a Metasonix RK6 and it is a pretty fascinating on its own, as well. Somewhere between an FFB and a Ladder.
Chrutil
I have dotcom ladder, yusynth diode ladder vcs3, MOTM 440, MOTM 480 cs80, Yusynth Minimoog, dotcom State variable and Yusynth Arp 4072.

Of all these I tend to favor the Yusynth Arp 4072 filter. In particular for sequenced seqments with some resonance and a quickly decaying filter envelope. Just love that sound.
My least favorite ones are the Diode Ladder and the MOTM 480 cs80 filter. Always felt the cs80 filter needed polyphony and the vcs3 filter is just squeaky, but to be fair I have a bug in my vcs3 filter breaking the resonance that I have been meaning to get back to for some years now...
Gringo Starr
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely look into these.

Flareless wrote:

I noticed you also bumped your “show us your filters thread”. I apologize for causing you distress. I assure you there’s no popularity contest going on here. Not that I’m aware of anyways. This was a specific question about filters for processing external audio.
ranix
My favorite 5 filters in no particular order are the dotcom Q107, the FSFX 104, the dotcom q150, the STG Sea Devil, and the SSL Steiner
Flareless
Gringo Starr wrote:

Flareless wrote:

I noticed you also bumped your “show us your filters thread”. I apologize for causing you distress. I assure you there’s no popularity contest going on here. Not that I’m aware of anyways. This was a specific question about filters for processing external audio.

No distress GS. I just saw this thread filling up with some great info and then thought..."hey... didn't we do something similar a while back".

These on-topic show-all threads are great, especially for new users or folks looking for something in particular.

I just thought I'd resurrect a zombie thread with some similar info.
Gringo Starr
Flareless wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:

Flareless wrote:

No distress GS. I just saw this thread filling up with some great info and then thought..."hey... didn't we do something similar a while back".

These on-topic show-all threads are great, especially for new users or folks looking for something in particular.

I just thought I'd resurrect a zombie thread with some similar info.

I was being a cranky smartass. I should know better than to respond to things right after waking up. I’m sure there’s a lot of useful information in your thread. I’ll check it out.
fac
Hey, can I make a thread about 5U filters, too?

twisted twisted twisted twisted twisted

But seriously, if I were building a system for processing external signals, I would add, besides a few filters, stuff like a waveshaper (for adding harmonic distortion), a ring modulator (inharmonic distortion), a wide-range VCO (for audio-rate modulation and LFO duties), a VCA (tremolo + CV amp control), and a dotcom Instrument Interface (preamp/overdrive/env follower).

I actually have a 10U rack (16 spaces) that I want to use for such tasks, but I haven't had the cash to get the modules and I don't want to take stuff off from my main system.
Gringo Starr
fac wrote:
Hey, can I make a thread about 5U filters, too?

twisted twisted twisted twisted twisted

But seriously, if I were building a system for processing external signals, I would add, besides a few filters, stuff like a waveshaper (for adding harmonic distortion), a ring modulator (inharmonic distortion), a wide-range VCO (for audio-rate modulation and LFO duties), a VCA (tremolo + CV amp control), and a dotcom Instrument Interface (preamp/overdrive/env follower).

I actually have a 10U rack (16 spaces) that I want to use for such tasks, but I haven't had the cash to get the modules and I don't want to take stuff off from my main system.

Those are all great suggestions. I agree all those would make for a killer processing system. I should’ve made this thread about the overall idea of setting up a specific 5U system for audio processing.
blw
Echoing several others, the Q107 and STG Sea Devils stand out among the many 5U filters I've used. Moon 517 is interesting as well, though its UI feels a little wonky, making me stop short of calling it a favorite.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2