MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap hardware amp / cab sim for direct recording
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Cheap hardware amp / cab sim for direct recording
R.U.Nuts
Well, the title says it all. Can you reccomend any amp and cab simulator pedal for DI recording that doesn't cost more than say 200€? Or are cheap amp sims generally no good?
I'd like to have something that gives my DI guitar signal the tones I get from my AC30. I'm after clean or slightly overdriven sounds with nice dynamics. I'm not that much into high gain or fuzzy sounds.
fac
You should be able to get a decent amp+cab sim for 200 euro. I'm not familiar with most models, but I would look into these:

- Used Line6 POD XT or Pocket POD
- Zoom G1 Four
- Used Boss GT-1
- Some iteration of Tech21 Sansamp.. I'm not familiar with the different models

If you're recording into a DAW, there are quite a few good options in software.
fac
Also found this:

https://www.westminstereffects.com/product/geneva-amp-sim/
GuyaGuy
There are several plug ins in that price range. Software sims make more sense to me than hardware sims because you can save a direct in take and swap out the sim or just dial in a different tone if you want. Softube and Amplitube both do a good job and have AC-30 models. I think they have demo versions too. I usually let pedals add most of the overdrive. It might be just psychological but I prefer the response from analog dirt.
R.U.Nuts
GuyaGuy wrote:
There are several plug ins in that price range. Software sims make more sense to me than hardware sims because you can save a direct in take and swap out the sim or just dial in a different tone if you want. Softube and Amplitube both do a good job and have AC-30 models. I think they have demo versions too. I usually let pedals add most of the overdrive. It might be just psychological but I prefer the response from analog dirt.

Sure, you're right. But there are two things that keep me off software:

1. I won't always be using the amp sim for recording. Often times I will be using it to just make practising more pleasant. That's why I want to be independent of a computer. I'm looking for something that's portable and doesn't challenge my patience while it's booting the DAW.
2. Most of the time I record my synth and everything in one take from the main outputs of my analog mixer. So If I'd use a computer based amp sim I would have to pipe my full mix with all the instruments through the amp sim Dead Banana
R.U.Nuts
fac wrote:
You should be able to get a decent amp+cab sim for 200 euro. I'm not familiar with most models, but I would look into these:

- Used Line6 POD XT or Pocket POD
- Zoom G1 Four
- Used Boss GT-1
- Some iteration of Tech21 Sansamp.. I'm not familiar with the different models

If you're recording into a DAW, there are quite a few good options in software.

Thanks for the reccomendations. Especially the Sansamp stuff looks interesting.
Kent
Boss VF-1
fac
Kent wrote:
Boss VF-1

Always wanted one of those. Never seen one for sale. :(
dkcg
No idea on price, but Strymon has a new pedal called Iridium that's an amp/cab/room sim coming out. Maybe by the holidays? seriously, i just don't get it
phase ghost
Joyo AC Tone does the Vox sound quite well.
Koekepan
Zoom G3n.

Or its bro; the G3Xn.

Meets your under $200 budget. Road-ready ruggedness. Lots of effects along with amp/cab simulations. Sounds way better than it has any right to at that price.

It has my unqualified endorsement, and I've used it for professional output where nobody had even a moment's complaint about sound quality.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1