MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

GAS for a Bastl BitRanger and a Koma Field Kit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author GAS for a Bastl BitRanger and a Koma Field Kit
Bottle
Hi all

One of my New Years' resolutions for 2019 was to start (and finish!) more creative projects. I've dusted off my YouTube and Soundcloud accounts and I've been posting more stuff up as the creative juices have flowed. So I've been deep-diving into making all kinds of little tracks this year, mostly with the 0-Coast and Bastl Kastles, but some modular stuff as well.

A few videos have really peaked my interest in both the Bastl BitRanger and the Koma Field Kit. I love the idea of using the BitRanger to modify parameters on the Kastles (and CV out to other gear as well), but I'm also liking the flexibility and sensor interface of the Field Kit to do the same to the 0-Coast. The expansion pack with the solenoids and motors looks cool and I've gotten some ideas for making some Music Concrete style tracks.

Trouble is, I can't decide between the two. The downside of the Field Kit is buying the extra packs to expand its capabilities. We're then getting into some serious money. A few videos have indicated that Arduino sensor modules are pin-compatible with the Field Kit, but I've yet to confirm that.

Maybe I get both? The Taxman has been generous this year. Hoping Santa will be the same grin

Let me know your thoughts. Has anyone tried one or both devices and can report on their utility?

Thanks in Advance
Ian
kinkujin
I love Bastl! One of my ‘resolutions’ is to get into more experimental territory and the BitRanger is certainly that.

Will you be doing live performance or is this for recording? You could also consider a Radial Engineering EXTC-SA-1 and a couple or few pedals and you could get nutty. Just a thought.
Moerder
+1 for the BitRanger. much portable, such experimental, many fun grin it also has some possible extensions by the way, check out the Bastl store for Synapse and something else I forgot the name of (breadboard style), but it basically goes in the direction you're envisioning, plus it's all rather affordable. thumbs up
Bottle
kinkujin wrote:
I love Bastl! One of my ‘resolutions’ is to get into more experimental territory and the BitRanger is certainly that.

Great stuff! Please share your journey, as I'm in a similar place with the 0-Coast drones and Kastle unpredictability smile I was mostly looking at the Field Kit as a way of getting some non-determinism and randomness into the 0-Coast.

Quote:
Will you be doing live performance or is this for recording? You could also consider a Radial Engineering EXTC-SA-1 and a couple or few pedals and you could get nutty. Just a thought.

Bit of both - see my YT channel below. Mostly off-grid recording (hence the need for something small and portable), but I'm doing some live experimental stuff with Norwich Synth Group. I have a Palmer D'Accapio and a bunch of guitar pedals and a mixer for all the off-board effects, so I think I'm sorted there.
Bottle
Moerder wrote:
+1 for the BitRanger. much portable, such experimental, many fun grin

Hahahaha SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! (yeah, we really need the Doge emoji)

Quote:
it also has some possible extensions by the way, check out the Bastl store for Synapse and something else I forgot the name of (breadboard style), but it basically goes in the direction you're envisioning, plus it's all rather affordable. thumbs up

Yeah, the extra breadboard expander is on my shopping list and I've been looking into how to interface external sensors. That was the primary driving force behind looking at the Field Kit as well, after I saw Hainbach's videos. It's just with the FK adding up all the expansion packs and sensors is starting to look too expensive until the New Year confused Still I think my first purchase will be the BitRanger and BB and go from there.
Moerder
sounds like a good plan! and since I got this recommendation a while ago I'll share it with you as you might be able to use it as well: https://www.sound-machines.it/product/ns1nanobridge/

great profile pic btw, need to dig up my little bits as well wink
Bottle
Moerder wrote:
sounds like a good plan! and since I got this recommendation a while ago I'll share it with you as you might be able to use it as well: https://www.sound-machines.it/product/ns1nanobridge/

Looks useful smile thanks for the link

Quote:
great profile pic btw, need to dig up my little bits as well wink

Thanks! It's a great little synth package - this is what got me in to modular synths in the first place.
Bottle
Just a little update on the ol' synth wishlist GAS story.

To cut a long story short - the Taxman hath giveth and the VW dealership hath taketh away evil Dead Banana help

Unexpected car repairs have meant that the planned purchase of either the BitRanger or the Field Kit (or both) will have to be put on hold until the New Year. Still want to thank you guys for the recommendations. My GAS list keeps getting longer (Thanks to Scott Lukas' videos I now want a C&G ETC video synth as well. Damnit!)

Oh well, just hope Santa throws a bonus my way this year.....

Cheers

Bottle
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1