MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV-controlled LFOs in MU?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author CV-controlled LFOs in MU?
Sir Ruff
Nothing fancy here, but thinking about my LFO options, ideally in 1U of space. MegaOhm's LFO two module looks great, but it only syncs (not CV control of speed). Sure there are options out there?
Thalassa
Hi Sir Ruff , maybe the Corsynth 102 VC LFO is what you are looking for . Mr. Green It's voltage controlled , sync, 5 waveforms and pulse width. It has three frequency ranges and it goes without modulation from 700hz to 7 minutes per cycle. With modulation it can goes from. 18Khz to 3 hours.
You can find more info here :

https://corsynth.com/home/modules/c102-vc-lfo
fac
Dotcom Q167 LFO++ would probably be my first choice; it has CV inputs for frequency (calibrated to 1V/Oct) and amplitude, plus a built-in envelope that can also be used to modulate frequency or amplitude. All in 1MU.

That said, I think the SSL Tap-Tempo LFO is one of the best LFOs out there: it syncs to a clock, it has a frequency multiplier, it has lots of continuously variable waveshapes, and it has cv inputs for all of its parameters. And it does feature a tap tempo button. Problem is, it's two-spaces wide. And still, I have two of them.
hamildad
I have both the Corsynth and the LFO++.

Both are good, Q167 can be a bit overly complex, maybe a bit clever for its own good whilst 102 is a perfect lfo but (to me) needs Cv controlled pulsewidth as then I can use it as variable gate generator,

Weirdly, I think the led display can be quite make or break when setting LFOs.

Corsynth: green led blinking on for positive and off for negative. No middle states so you have no idea of rise or fall.

Dotcom: yellow pulse for positive, red pulse for negative, so if you go on pulse alone you'll Be expecting twice the frequency.
Thalassa
hamildad wrote:
Corsynth: green led blinking on for positive and off for negative. No middle states so you have no idea of rise or fall.

Now that has been changed. The led now's follow the triangle wave so gradually turn on and off smile
Minimoog56
Love the Corsynth. Rock solid well designed and beautifully built module. Highly recommended.
Sir Ruff
Thalassa wrote:
Hi Sir Ruff , maybe the Corsynth 102 VC LFO is what you are looking for . Mr. Green It's voltage controlled , sync, 5 waveforms and pulse width. It has three frequency ranges and it goes without modulation from 700hz to 7 minutes per cycle. With modulation it can goes from. 18Khz to 3 hours.

yeah, this looks good--but is it a digital or analog LFO? the SSL LFO was looking pretty attractive, but I was kind of turned off by the potential for high/low frequency aliasing.

hamildad wrote:
I have both the Corsynth and the LFO++.

Both are good, Q167 can be a bit overly complex, maybe a bit clever for its own good whilst 102 is a perfect lfo but (to me) needs Cv controlled pulsewidth as then I can use it as variable gate generator,

this looks pretty sweet actually
Synthiq
Sir Ruff wrote:
Thalassa wrote:

yeah, this looks good--but is it a digital or analog LFO? the SSL LFO was looking pretty attractive, but I was kind of turned off by the potential for high/low frequency aliasing.

Both LFOs are most likely analog with no aliasing issues. If you look at the pcb for the Corsynth LFO you can see all ICs are decoupled with dual capacitors so they all have dual supplies which makes them very unlikely to be digital. There are also two transistors zip tied together for an analog exponential circuit which would make no sense for a digital oscillator. The SSL quad LFO consists of four identical sections with a single IC in each driven by +/-15V so again it must be analog.
josaka
?

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/krisp1-octo-quadrature-lfo
Notron fn

So it's 2u but--it has blinky lights and can make stuff swirl. (When it got to 18:08 sealed it for me.)

"Outs 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° have a sinus out with no compression.
Outs 45°, 135°, 225° and 315° have a Triangle out with no compression
Sync Input requires a +4V Gate/Trigger
Manual Pot Reduces the level of all outputs simultaneously
Compression Pot squashes the waveforms
Without any CV the range is around 2 minutes per cycle to 20hz without any loss of waveform amplitude
With Control voltage the range is over 8 minutes per cycle to 550hz without any loss of waveform amplitude
Power consumption up to 70mA on each rail
Case depth 65mm or 2.55
Full Analogue technology"
krisp14u
Oakley MU VC-LFO
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&p roducts_id=107

2 in stock and on sale
Thalassa
Sir Ruff wrote:
yeah, this looks good--but is it a digital or analog LFO?

The C102 is fully analog smile
KSS
hamildad wrote:
whilst 102 is a perfect lfo but (to me) needs Cv controlled pulsewidth as then I can use it as variable gate generator,

Agreed. Fortunately it looks as if adding a PWM input jack left of the FM jack would be possible. Open jack, so it fits between panel and PCB.

Likely not too hard to find the circuit points to kludge into, a PWM input is a simple thing to add.

Better if it was already there though. cool Maybe an update from Corsynth?
Leverkusen
There is also the Oakley VC-LFO.

It has individual outputs for all five waveforms, oscillates from 1 cycle per 8 min up to 14 kHz into the audio range, features an 1V/oct plus an extra attenuverted CV input and a Sync input!

http://www.oakleysound.com/vclfo.htm

Krisp1 should have it for sale in MU...
Sir Ruff
Synthiq wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Thalassa wrote:

Both LFOs are most likely analog with no aliasing issues. If you look at the pcb for the Corsynth LFO you can see all ICs are decoupled with dual capacitors so they all have dual supplies which makes them very unlikely to be digital. There are also two transistors zip tied together for an analog exponential circuit which would make no sense for a digital oscillator. The SSL quad LFO consists of four identical sections with a single IC in each driven by +/-15V so again it must be analog.

SSL model is def digital (they say so on the module description.

krisp14u wrote:
Oakley MU VC-LFO
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&p roducts_id=107

2 in stock and on sale

this looks great. also see that there is a double LFO (made by LWS stateside). guess I have to decide whether I'd rather have more LFOs or more control. Plus the MegaOhm LFO Two works in a similar capacity.

Currently have an STG Envelope and Oakley VCA-ADSR that both function very well as LFOs, but I kind of like to have a simpler and dedicated LFO module. For that I have been using the Moog CP251, but it's pretty basic (tho it does respond to CV).
Synthiq
Sir Ruff wrote:
Synthiq wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Thalassa wrote:

SSL model is def digital (they say so on the module description.

The discontinued Tap Tempo LFO (1260) contains digital circuitry but the currently available Quad LFO (1250) does not. It wasn't clear from your earlier post that you referred to the former.
Sir Ruff
Ah cool, right.

That quad lfo looks cool too.
Sir Ruff
fac wrote:
Dotcom Q167 LFO++ would probably be my first choice; it has CV inputs for frequency (calibrated to 1V/Oct) and amplitude, plus a built-in envelope that can also be used to modulate frequency or amplitude. All in 1MU.

dunno how I missed this from earlier--this actually looks like the most bang for your buck. I can imagine it's more fiddly than some of the others but it seems to capture all of the things I'd need external bits for (e.g., envelope modulation or amplitude) in one fell swoop. In a perfect world I'd have this and maybe another more straight forward deal like the quad LFO, but will start with this for now!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1