Electra One - innovative midi controller

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Electra One - innovative midi controller

Post by stikygum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Anyone been following this? I just found out about it. It was created to be able to control older hardware synths and it looks to be the best midi controller you'll find right now. It has a big touch sensitive touch screen, 12 touch sensitive knobs and the touch screen displays 36 parameters to tweak on the screen at once. I'm really curious about it. I'm mainly wondering how easy it is to set up the templates for any hardware synth you choose.

https://electra.one

Last edited by stikygum on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTB: EML 101

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:32 pm

It certainly looks handy. I used to really enjoy the Nord Modular's G2 parameter interface - rotary controllers with visual labels and indicators of value. It seems this hits the same mark.

A great idea as far as controllers go.
-adnauseam

this space intentionally left blank

(((EMP)))
Learning to Wiggle

Post by (((EMP))) » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 am

I’ve been following this. The one thing I can’t figure out, or have missed....Does it have MIDI Learn? Programming Sysex strings is my least favorite activity.

ElectraOne
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ElectraOne » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:I’ve been following this. The one thing I can’t figure out, or have missed....Does it have MIDI Learn? Programming Sysex strings is my least favorite activity.
MIDI learn will be one of the options how to create preset, but for many of the popular synths, Electra One will come with already predefined configuration, so creating preset will be just matter of the drag & drop. See the sneak peek of the editor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrgoZ75CBuM

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:16 am

This thing looks ridiculously awesome. I’m in..

Figured I’d give it a bump- this is the last day to get the pre-order discount..

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:50 am

ElectraOne wrote:
(((EMP))) wrote:I’ve been following this. The one thing I can’t figure out, or have missed....Does it have MIDI Learn? Programming Sysex strings is my least favorite activity.
MIDI learn will be one of the options how to create preset, but for many of the popular synths, Electra One will come with already predefined configuration, so creating preset will be just matter of the drag & drop. See the sneak peek of the editor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrgoZ75CBuM
But how many synths will they do this for? And which synths. I'm guessing we'll be the ones spending time creating templates like other controllers that have passed before, no?

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:06 am

Yeah, that seems likely. And unsurprising. People will make templates that are useful, and then hopefully share them.

Somebody’s going to show up wanting support for pretty much every weird prototype synth that was made in the late 80’s. A decent editor and a large user base is the way to deal with that, and that seems to be underway.

The editor looks really nice. People should use it..

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Electra One - innovative midi controller

Post by stikygum » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:55 am

Decided to post a pic in the OP since this is still new and relatively unknown by many. Anyone have one of these?

I want one, but only if it's easy to make your own templates. I wish there was a video of that. I suppose I should email them.

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:54 am

i ordered one for my chroma....
planning to use it also for a dsi evolver and a blofeld..
as i talked to martin in the chat he told me that they are already working on more templates ...
the editor looks very nice and easy....

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:10 am

The hardware is stunningly beautiful. Slightly smaller than I was expecting, and much heavier.

I can’t open the .dmg file that contains the Mac software. Guessing it’s in APFS format, which can’t be opened by Sierra or earlier. I’m still on El Cap.

I’ll build a newer ghost OS on an external drive within the next few days just so I can get the installer out of the dmg. Hope it actually works on El Cap, because I have no intention of updating beyond that anytime soon.

If anybody else can’t open the .dmg please PM me. If I can get it open, I’ll send you the stuff..

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 pm

They sent me a zip instead of a dmg, and that worked fine.

Haven’t made any cool patches on it yet. Hopefully this weekend..

Return to “General Gear”