MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

pickup recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author pickup recommendations
thelowerrhythm
Greetings, wigglers. I've never asked about guitar stuff here so I thought I'd give it ago. Just picked up this really delicious tele clone -- warmoth, schaller, etc. Someone dumped some real money into it. The body is solid bubinga and STUPID HEAVY.

Right now it's got a SD Jazz in the neck and a SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge. Both are okay, but:

1. The Jazz is just way too undefined on the low end. Tried screwing with the pickup height, pole piece heights, flipping it, etc. and no luck. I think it just really doesn't get along with this body. Sounds okayish in neck and center positions when clean, but I don't play clean. I often use bridge only, but it's nice to have another tone on top, so I'd prefer to find something usable that'll match...

2. The Donahue has some gorgeous tone, wonderful clarity, but I play sludge and it just doesn't have the beef for it. I like my sludge sparkly, so I'm not wanting to just shove some random high output stacked humbucker in there.

I am poor AF, so I'm not going to be a brand snob. This guitar feels incredible and that'll be contributing a lot to my tone.
commodorejohn
I can't speak to sludge, but I replaced the cheapass pickups in my Tele clone with a matched set of Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack pickups and that was very solid. (Still have the bridge pickup in there; I swapped out the neck pickup for an old Harmony gold-foil because there was one on the local Craigslist and I wanted something a little brighter and more balanced than the traditional Tele neck sound.)
Revok
The Quarter Pound set might be worth looking into.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/quarter-pound-tele-set?__uuid_ref =5db39129afdaa?__uuid_ref=5db39129afde6
Sinamsis
I don't know specifically about sludge, but you chose a tele so I assumed that was for a reason. I'm biased, but I can't recommend Lindy Fralin highly enough. I have a pair of his wide range humbuckers that I LOVE. Those btw might do what you're asking for, but wouldn't fit in a stock Tele (they were made for the Tele Deluxe however). They were Fender's attempt to compete with Gibson, though it's not really a hum bucker. They maintain the typical Fender twang but add a little girth to the sound. I have them in my reissue Starcaster. Anyways, Lindy is a really good dude, and offers a variety of single coils for teles. They're not super pricey it seems. I wouldn't pinch pennies too much honestly.
sduck
You say it's a tele, but what size of pickups are we talking about? Typical tele pu's are single coil, but are often changed out to humbuckers or whatever. So, what kind of holes are we talking about filling?
GuyaGuy
If you’re keeping the HB neck/Tele Bridge config you might want to check out TV Jones pickups for the neck. They offer Gretsch-style pickups and variations including models that drop into a Gibson-type humbucker slot. The Classic offers a tight bottom end and plenty clarity with compression on the highs and mids. The Powertron bridges the gap between that and a humbucker sound if you want something beefier. IMHO they pair nicely with a nice strong Tele bridge pickup.
drift
https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Mean-90-Alnico-TRUE-P90-in-a-humbucke r-Case-Nickel-Finish_p_21841.html
Technologear?
I play sludge.
I've read your post and what tone you're chasing.
Save up for Lace pickups. Think 'more of everything my instrument is putting out'
If you love the instrument, it's worth the savings journey.
CursedFrogurt
Technologear? wrote:
I play sludge.
I've read your post and what tone you're chasing.
Save up for Lace pickups. Think 'more of everything my instrument is putting out'
If you love the instrument, it's worth the savings journey.

I'm not a sludge player, but I have some Alumitones (humbucker sized) and I'd agree with this. They just put out a really wide range of frequencies with a pretty flat response. They don't add a lot of color to your overall sound, but that gives you a lot of room to shape the sound in your amp / pedals.

The have soooo much high end (sparkly? brittle? descriptors mean many things to many people), but rolling the tone knob off a bit gets you into traditional pickup territory if you need it.
thelowerrhythm
Ooops, left out obvious info. The donahue is in the bridge, so it's an HS configuration (since in bridge). I may end up trying to hunt down whatever it was that was in the neck of my CP Jaguar HH, as that was satisfying. From what I recall this SD Jazz is supposed to be bright, but it's definitely muddy on strings A - D. Seems to have the right tone pot, etc. Maybe it's just way weaker than what I'm used to. Last guitar I had in my hands was a newer duo sonic HS, and I believe that bridge humbucker was pretty hot.

I think swapping out this donahue for a stacked humber is the way to go, just not sure which one to go after. Would definitely need to retain a lot of note definition. As for the neck, well... it's certainly sludgy. That might come in handy.

That Lace comment has me intrigued. Never really looked into those before! And I do love the guitar. The warmoth strat neck is just killer. Best guitar to ever fit my hands was a Jaguar Blacktop, and this is exactly that, only with a bit wider neck (which I love).
thelowerrhythm
Maybe the secret is to just get another guitar. razz Or compensate with pedals.

There's stuff I like about this that's going to go away when I change it.

At once point I had 12 guitars though, and I'm never going back to that nonsense.
Technologear?
thelowerrhythm wrote:

If you were happy with it you wouldn't have started this thread hihi
If you want to avoid having multiple guitars that do specific things well but that lack versatility, apply this principle of old school recording theory: get it right at the source.

Strings, pickups, onboard electrics including tone pots. Get that right, aiming for full even range (like Laces can do) with pots that open right up and can roll off heaps too.

Then whatever is next in your chain has a fair chance to sound like it should, like amps and pedals.

When I first got my Laces into my baritone, rather than being disappointed by a boring flat tone with no character, I was blown away by how much more of my playing was present. When I back off or dig in, it's really noticeable. Like I had turned off a cheap terrible compressor that I had forgotten was in the signal chain.
thelowerrhythm
Technologear? wrote:
thelowerrhythm wrote:

If you were happy with it you wouldn't have started this thread hihi
If you want to avoid having multiple guitars that do specific things well but that lack versatility, apply this principle of old school recording theory: get it right at the source.

Strings, pickups, onboard electrics including tone pots. Get that right, aiming for full even range (like Laces can do) with pots that open right up and can roll off heaps too.

Then whatever is next in your chain has a fair chance to sound like it should, like amps and pedals.

When I first got my Laces into my baritone, rather than being disappointed by a boring flat tone with no character, I was blown away by how much more of my playing was present. When I back off or dig in, it's really noticeable. Like I had turned off a cheap terrible compressor that I had forgotten was in the signal chain.

True. But there's also no perfect tool. I wish it was easier to try out pickups, because it's hard to drop $100+ on a tester. Every where I look I keep getting the Lace speech, though. I think rather than trying to get that Jag sound back, I'll sort of work towards what this guitar wants to do well naturally. Any experience with the deathbucker? As best I can tell that might be more what I'm looking for in the neck. Not trying to get that Kyuss sound, but I'm definitely inspired by Homme.

After a few more days of playing I think I'd really like to find someone with the same overall character as this Donanue bridge pickup, just with a lot more power. Maybe it doesn't need to be a humbucker. I've been running the whole thing from the LP OD channel of my Asteroid Operator filter and it's like oh, oh yes. That's the crust right there.
Severed head
Sounds like your pretty set in your ways. And or just confident in your plays both of the former are a compliment.
But Have you considered using the qualities of the existing set up to manipulate your playing to be out of your box?
Other than that I can’t say much, a good many years ago I spent 25 whole dollars on a shoebox of used 60’s mustang pups. So I’ve just been stuck with them Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1