MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Waldorf Quantum clipping with compression?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Waldorf Quantum clipping with compression?
REcDeso12oi
Hello!

So I've had the Quantum for about a week now and I love it.. so this "issue" is by no means anything NEAR a deal breaker as it is fixed by not using absurd amounts of onboard compression. But I do get this high clicking sound.. kind of like a cd skipping, when I use a ton of the compression at the end of the signal chain (the one by the master volume). I actually was blown away by how much I like the compression. I know that its a digital hybrid synth and obviously artifacts are going to be brought out by lots of the compression, especially at super high levels, I just wanted to check and hear from some other quantum users that this is normal behavior so I can put it to rest.

Here's the Soundcloud file of what I'm experiencing.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/cdeso/quantum-aliasing[/s]

The "clipping" starts around 28 sec in

Thanks Quantum users!
rowsbywoof
There's a pretty extensive Quantum thread over at Gearslutz that might be able to at least let you know if your hearing something out of the norm, but... I can't imagine that is something wrong with your particular Quantum. Likely just some oddity of the onboard compressor.

That being said... Good God that thing sounds good. I get that the clicking is a little annoying, but, that's a seriously good sounding instrument. Yeah... run outboard effects if you have to, because that thing sounds really damn good to me grin
dubonaire
rowsbywoof wrote:
There's a pretty extensive Quantum thread over at Gearslutz that might be able to at least let you know if your hearing something out of the norm, but... I can't imagine that is something wrong with your particular Quantum. Likely just some oddity of the onboard compressor.

That being said... Good God that thing sounds good. I get that the clicking is a little annoying, but, that's a seriously good sounding instrument. Yeah... run outboard effects if you have to, because that thing sounds really damn good to me grin

I thought the same thing. Sounds gorgeous.

OP have you tried making the compressor attack slower? I don't think it's clipping I think you are just hearing a transient.
dubonaire
rowsbywoof wrote:

I thought the same thing. Sounds gorgeous. Makes me want one.

REcDeso12oi have you tried making the compressor attack slower?
mome rath
dubonaire wrote:

REcDeso12oi have you tried making the compressor attack slower?

can you do that? The compression is added using a single knob

maybe there's a menu in global settings somewhere that I haven't explored
REcDeso12oi
Yah its just a one knob compression and as far as I know, no attack or release settings, I'm sure thats a feature that can be implemented in the future maybe.

I've noticed that if I pay more attention to the gain staging it isn't as much of an issue and Waldorf recently added some output volume parameters to the filters (I think hehe). All in all really with the nature of the synth, theres very little possibility that something is "broken". .I'm sure the massive amount of compression is just bringing out a bit more of what's happening.

As for the synth, I had a couple friends who's opinion I very much respect rave about this thing for the last year and I can see why. It's one of the rare ones where it just bleeds w/ personality, like having a living creature in the studio. Also it sounds beautiful. I just can't say enough about how much I like it. I'll post some videos soon.
dubonaire
REcDeso12oi wrote:
Yah its just a one knob compression and as far as I know, no attack or release settings, I'm sure thats a feature that can be implemented in the future maybe.

Oh I see now, you have an adjustable compressor in the FX section and a one knob compressor in the output section. In that case I think you are just over compressing and amplifying a transient. If you record the output and look at it in a wave editor you should be able to find it and see if it is clipping or spiking.
babysam
Hi-

I own a microQ and have found that some combinations of the parameters produce some nasty clicking noises. It kinda sounds similar to what's going on here so you could just have a drastic parameter change create a quiet click that is then made more apparent by adding in compression.

Some useful tips toward the end of this FAQ http://faq.waldorfian.info/faq-browse.php?product=mq#top
Michael O.
Not familiar with the quantum, but to me the clicky sound definitely sounds more like a compression artifact rather than clipping (specifically, a chewed up initial transient, probably the result of the compression onset being shorter than a single period of the low bass frequencies).

But whoa, clicking aside, that is a pretty nice sounding synth.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1