MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BugBrand compilation 3: gauge of interest
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author BugBrand compilation 3: gauge of interest
chrisdermo
Original compilation post / info here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196585

Considering doing a third compilation tape..... lots more blue modules have been released since the tracks for the last tapes were made - I’m thinking it would be a good idea to release another to show the evolution of peoples’ sound and workflows with their BugBrand gear?

Couple of notes - would likely only be one tape this time instead of two, which means we may have an issue of too many submissions to fit. If that were to happen we’d probably consider another double release or perhaps create a tape compilation with extra digital bonus tracks.

Rules of submission

- All tracks should comprise of Bugbrand sound sources only. This means all oscillators and creative processors (defined later) should be Bugbrand only. If you are not fortunate enough to own a Bugbrand sequencer or control surface etc but would like to use one with your bugs this would be entirely acceptable (cirklon, beatstep pro, sq-1, any gate/trigger/cv interface really whatever). If you do own a Bugbrand sequencer / means of control please do use it!
- Batchas’ Scrotum Labs modules are now admissible but please make sure to include BugBrand sounds as well.
- 'Creative' processors are - any filters, waveshapers, distortion, ring mod, etc etc should be Bugbrand only.
- 'Mix' processors - we want to keep the Bug sound as pure as possible, however mix tools like eq, compression/limiting and delay/reverbs are allowed however you normally would do so. If you own a Bugbrand eq/compressor/ptdelay/spring tanker - please use them! What we're getting at here is please don't drench your recording in soundtoys plugins and 100% wet infinite reverbs and granular fx. Likewise please don't make your Roland space echo or strymon bluesky the focus of your piece.
- To that end please work within the confines of your BugBrand setup a much as possible. It would be great if all envelopes/lfos/modulators etc were bugs, but understood if that's not possible. If you only own a chirper or a weevil - great! Minimal styles are welcome.
- Multitracking, overdubbing and editing - I think it's hopefully implied but tracks made via multitracking, overdubbing and editing / splicing sections, riffs, sequences or whatever together that may not be 'performable' as such are totally fine, if that's the way you work. Just please don't create a microsound granular piece.
- Please record in 24bit 44.1kHz. You can record however you like - via microphone, line in, to tape, on a wax cylinder etc - just please ensure your final 2track is 24bit 44.1kHz - this is a standard the majority of people will be able to adhere to, and most cassette manufacturers will want 44.1kHz files to transfer from. Mix for stereo! Tape crosstalk is not an issue in the same way as it is for vinyl so if you want to invert phases via your svfilters/crossover filters etc please do.
- Please keep track lengths sensible - max length would be 3mins 30seconds with some SLIGHT wiggle room should people overshoot. By slight wiggle room I mean ABSOLUTE MAX 4mins but be prepared to be bumped in favour of a shorter track or asked for a shorter edit of your drone piece if that’s what your doing.
- Lists of modules/equipment used are highly encouraged and / or patch photos / diagrams welcome. These would be best shared in perhaps a new thread when released - I didn’t have time to sort out all the notes sent to me by various online portals last time.
- Please refrain from posting your track online anywhere until the compilation has been released!! Your work is your own property of course but it would be nice to release this as a big bunch of awesome, previously unheard music.

I’m not rushing on this, we still have a backlog of releases to work through, just wanted to gauge interest - you have lots of time. Provisionally I’ll set the submission date for April 2020 (yes. Lots of time!) as before I imagine it’ll be a long process to the finish line - I will be hand dubbing all the tapes myself one at a time (manufacturers and tape stock have got very iffy recently).

Label site is here: 0prmusic.bandcamp.com
Be Sandy?
If we're talking sometime into the new year then I'd be interested.

I reckon you'll be looking at a double again!
shred
I'm still fairly new to bugs, i was starting to build my system when the previous comp was being assembled. I'd love to contribute to a new one!
T. Jervell
I’ve acquireda substantial amount of both blue and reds since the last release, so please do count me in nanners
dogoftears
i think it's a great idea
but it would be fun to use the SL stuff this time w00t
syncretism
It'd be nice to have something to light a fire under my proverbial; any other submission guidelines, or should I follow whatever might have been documented for the previous tape?
a100user
Incentive to create, nice one Chris
indexofmetals
I would definitely be interested.
chrisdermo
Alright - good enough for me! It’s on.
Same rules as before + use of batchas’ SL modules.
bunkdata
I’m game as well! Guinness ftw!
nikfrisbee
I have been noddling in the nether for decades. This maybe just what I need to focus and try and allow myself to be not so self critical and actually share something I have created. I will read over the rules and force myself to put it forward for scrutiny. Glup. help
jjsynth
Well, I will try to participate.
SPIKE the Percussionist
COUNT ME IN!
BananaPlug
Yes, I really should do this. I tend to use some non-Bugbrand gear for utilities and some of the effects. I guess that will be alright.
tIB
Ill have a go - wasn't too happy with my track for the last one so I'll need to be firing for this!
chrisdermo
tIB wrote:
Ill have a go - wasn't too happy with my track for the last one so I'll need to be firing for this!

You’re insane, that track was incredible!
chrisdermo
Updated first post with rules of submission. Note the reduced max length of a track! Some people overshot the 5minute mark by a big margin last time. I’m hand dubbing these tapes so can’t have the run time be too crazy.
southphillysynths
I would love to be a part, very happy to have both the previous tapes! I mostly do drone, I would probably buy a chirper just for this and see if I can get 3 minuets out of that and a pedal or two!

BugBrand! BugBrand! BugBrand!
rico loverde
would def be interested!
tIB
chrisdermo wrote:

Thanks that's kind of you. Guinness ftw!

Self indulgence alert: I find it interesting how I often dislike the stuff I feel I'm forcing - made that at a time when I was moving from programming music to playing, and as such it was something of a wrestle - I'll have to go back to listen to it again as before all I could hear were the mistakes and one dimensionalness of it all. It's the last bug track I did incidentally so I'm long overdue...
lud
I'd be up for doing a short one Chris. Spending too much time on Instagram don't know if I can make it past the minute mark though! Mr. Green

I think 3 min limit is a great idea for a compilation - my friend recently handed in a 20 minute track for one and was upset when he was asked to shorten it!
batchas
BugBrand! BugBrand! BugBrand!
dogoftears
tIB wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

Thanks that's kind of you. Guinness ftw!

Self indulgence alert: I find it interesting how I often dislike the stuff I feel I'm forcing - made that at a time when I was moving from programming music to playing, and as such it was something of a wrestle - I'll have to go back to listen to it again as before all I could hear were the mistakes and one dimensionalness of it all. It's the last bug track I did incidentally so I'm long overdue...

i like that track, it has incredible tone.
i remember being a bit surprised when i mastered it that it wasn't your usual techno-ish kind of stuff- a nice surprise!
tIB
dogoftears wrote:
[
i remember being a bit surprised when i mastered it that it wasn't your usual techno-ish kind of stuff- a nice surprise!

Thanks! Been a while now since I've been doing the boingy techno thing - I'm almost due a redux!
dogoftears
tIB wrote:
dogoftears wrote:
[

Thanks! Been a while now since I've been doing the boingy techno thing - I'm almost due a redux!

oh, but, to be clear, i love the "hostages" album w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2