MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland Boutique -- No Sound after USB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Roland Boutique -- No Sound after USB
Zodanga
This may end up with me doing a face-palm, but....

I have Roland Boutique synths. For the first time I plugged the D-05's USB into my DAW PC. Worked great! But now, with the D-05 disconnected, there's no sound coming out of the D-05's speaker anymore.

I looked through the menus and see no setting. Is there a trick to getting the sound to route to the speaker again? Strange thing is that the speaker was working as normal while it was connected to the PC.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
wendallsan
If it were me, it would be because I turned down the tiny volume knob on the back of the Boutique and forgotten that I'd done so, because I do stuff like that all the time. Best of luck-- I've been really enjoying the Boutique line myself.

love love love
Zodanga
Thanks! <g> Immediately after posting, I thought the same thing, did the facepalm ahead of time... but no... the volume knob isn't affecting it. I hope I don't have to flash the firmware every time I disconnect.
Zodanga
I did a factory reset (hold down "Bank 2," power on, enter) and that fixed it. But if anyone else has experienced this, I'd be interested to know what is happening here and if there's a better fix.
Blingley
Did you eject USB device properly or did you just yoink the cable out?
Zodanga
I shut the PC down (it was a Surface Pro 6, actually). Then I disconnected everything. That was a good thought though, and something to be careful of.
anselmi
Zodanga wrote:
I did a factory reset (hold down "Bank 2," power on, enter) and that fixed it. But if anyone else has experienced this, I'd be interested to know what is happening here and if there's a better fix.

it happened to me with the SE-02...I found that sending an specific CC restored it...I donĀ“t remember exactly what number but I think it was #115 or so...I found it in the MIDI implementation as "volume" or "patch volume"

check the MIDI chart for yours
Zodanga
Interesting, thank you! I'll see what I can find.
acidbob
Not 100% but I think there is a setting for the speakers somewhere in the belly... Both on mine are dead quiet so I did something at some point...
Zodanga
Do you mean modifying the electronics? Mine isn't just quiet, it went from fine to no sound at all simply because I connected the USB to a PC.
acidbob
No it's a setting, could you try running the update on it ?
Zodanga
I haven't been able to find a setting that fixes this, and the firmware is up to date. I can get the sound back by doing a quick factory reset, which is only a couple of button presses, but of course jettisons any customizations.

I've played with this a bit and discovered something, though I'm still not sure of the true source of the problem. It may be my specific software (Cakewalk by Bandlab on a Surface Pro, with the Roland D-05).

I notice that if I shutdown or eject the D-05 while the currently highlighted track is one that does NOT talk to the D-05, the D-05 seems to continue to be muted even after being disconnected. If I shutdown or eject the D-05 while the highlighted track is a MIDI track set to output to the D-05, then the D-05 if fine afterward. It's weird, but livable now that I know what to do.

It sort of suggests that Cakewalk is muting tracks by sending MIDI mute/volume commands to devices rather than just refraining from sending note information to that output & channel, which seems crazy.
acidbob
Maybe you can use a midi software filter?
Or check it with a midi monitor?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1