MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Crave vs Model D vs Neutron vs Pro-1?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Crave vs Model D vs Neutron vs Pro-1?
bengarland
Does anyone want to take a stab at giving a rundown of how the Crave, Model D, Neutron, and Pro-1 are similar and different? Additionally, which one would you buy (or not) and why?

Since many of the specs look comparable, and I'm not super familiar with the original synths that these are based on, I can't immediately tell where the functionality of one overlaps the others, or which features are completely unique to each device.
Sir Ruff
Before asking a SUPER broad question like this, why don't you first read the respective manuals/watch a bunch of demos (of which there are 20 million for Minimoog and Pro-1 alone, not to many probably as many people comparing the two)? I.e., do some actual research on your own first.

Alternatively, post this on GS.
bengarland
Forumcat #1 not this shit again
onthebandwagon
Neutron might have the most annoying name out of all of them.
bengarland
Loopop does now have a Pro-1 video from Oct 31 that I didn't see when I was looking recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rSB-72UAg
Voltcontrol
Sir Ruff wrote:
Before asking a SUPER broad question like this, why don't you first read the respective manuals/watch a bunch of demos (of which there are 20 million for Minimoog and Pro-1 alone, not to many probably as many people comparing the two)? I.e., do some actual research on your own first.

Alternatively, post this on GS.

bengarland wrote:
Forumcat #1 not this shit again

I find the remark about posting this on GS unnecessarily derogatory.
However, there ARE a ton of video's about all of them (bar the pro-1, which is pretty new, but then again the original has plenty of video's available which shows everything minus paraphonic capabilities and some patching options) so I'm with Sir Ruff in the sense of watching available materials.

I will say two things:
1. The synths you mention contain members of two different families: Analogue semi-modular (Crave and Neutron) monosynths and analogue monosynths. An aside: Some have paraphonic capabilities.
2. Which one(s) sounds good and is/are usable to you and does it make sense to buy a hardware synth vs having it as software?

For me:
I'm really into the sound of the Pro-1 and having it as a playable instrument instead of a software version (being able to tweak the knobs in realtime) puts it on the no. 1 want position for me.
If I'd be into modular the Neutron would probably on my no-brainer-go-buy-it list too, but still very interesting in terms of sounds and capabilities. The Model D has plenty of fans for its sound (Will be the same with the K-2) and rightly so, but they are simply not for me.
Monofunk
I tried the Model D, did not like how it felt and didn't keep it.
Fallen_lassen
Crave is cheaperrrr Miley Cyrus
h4ndcrafted
I’d def wait and buy something better than these
Voltcontrol
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I’d def wait and buy something better than these

Would you also care to elaborate on that opinion?
h4ndcrafted
I’d def buy something better than these please
deltaphoenix
This one situation where saying buying them all isn’t a ridiculous answer $wise.
Fabong
I'd say their MS20 clone is also on the same level as these specs-wise
seta666
Model D plus Korg SQ-1; DFAM on steroids
r05c03
bengarland wrote:
Does anyone want to take a stab at giving a rundown of how the Crave, Model D, Neutron, and Pro-1 are similar and different? Additionally, which one would you buy (or not) and why?

Since many of the specs look comparable, and I'm not super familiar with the original synths that these are based on, I can't immediately tell where the functionality of one overlaps the others, or which features are completely unique to each device.

Well it really depends, I think, on how much you plan interfacing with other CV-able gear. It the answer is "a lot", then the Neutron is the best answer. There is a lot of Euro functionality packed in there. Mixers, sum inputs, VCAs, a cool phase alterable LFO, 2 envelopes, pitch CV out (so basically it is a MIDI-CV device. Also, it makes it own sounds and has a delay. All that for under $300. An LFO with that functionality, depending on the maker could cost you $300 by itself in the euro world...
Fog Door
The Crave I would not buy unless it was the only one I could afford. having said that, it looks good for the money. I own the Neutron, its is a fantastic little synth and does not get enough credit imo and is easy to integrate with a modular system. I say this because other semi modular eg the Korg MS20 mini are not so comfortable to integrate. I'm really just fatigued by the whole Model D thing but I understand why a whole lot of people love the Behringer D. Pro 1 looks great, if I wasn't committed (balls deep) to developing my eurorack I would have bought one by now. Does any of that help you? Probably not! lol
Muff McMuff
I don't have any off them but i am more interested in the modular side of things so the stand out one for me is the Neutron. Big patch bay, more options and will integrate nicely with some euro modules.
I do have the Moog Model D on my ipad and really like the sounds so i know i would be very happy with the Behringer Model D. It also has a few patching options which is nice.
Both can be found super cheap secondhand and the people who have them say the build and sound quality is good. Get one and report back!
CosmicFlight
You may try to reverse the problem asking what type of sounds you are looking for
Stides
Some real dick answers in here.

Anyway... the Model D is a clone of the Moog Minimoog, so its appearance and its sound are almost spot on. This is the only one from the list I personally have.
The Pro One is also a clone and sounds like the SCI original.

These both were made to offer a cloned sound at a lower price, there’s debate as to their success or not, but that’s the intention.

The Neutron and the Crave are non-copies, Behringer originals.

What people were trying to say is check out how each sounds and go with that. The biggest difference is really the sound, due to differences in their circuitry.

Synths are kinda like cell phones, it’s pointless to compare ram or cpu, ie number of vcos or envelopes. It comes down to user experience, which includes the sound and what accomplishes your particular needs.

All are priced well, especially used, and can be sold if you end up tired of it.
Gribs
Based on the (different) videos on the Neutron by Gaz Williams and Nick Batt, if I were looking for an inexpensive, patchable mono-synth, it would be a strong contender. For me I would place it as number one on the list of recent Behringer offerings simply because I think it has the most interesting feature set.
naos
they all look like shit except maybe the Pro-1 (though it has those cheap plastic jacks too) - the sound of the Model D is gorgeous, it doesn't produce a single bad tone and that's a very redeeming quality. that's the only one I tried so far.
ludotex
Stides wrote:

The Neutron and the Crave are non-copies, Behringer originals.

I believe the Crave is pretty much of copy of the mother 32 (apart from the vco, but it still sounds pretty close)
h4ndcrafted
I think you win with any tbh.

I’m really taken by the neutrons filter and ballsy bottom end, reminds me of a sh-2 in that respect.

For me
Model D

But neutron will likely be the most fun though.
pix
I'd go for the Pro-1.
ckwjr
Some of the most common advice on the forum seems to be "if you're new to modular, get a Neutron as the most affordable starter kit on the market."

If you want to pay less for a Mother32 knockoff, get a Crave

If you want an allegedly really well-made and convincing Prophet 1 clone, get a Pro-1.

If you want a built in sequencer, get a Crave or Pro-1.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1