MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sequencers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author sequencers
codabass
Hey all,

as boxing day is coming - I'm trying to come up with a good list of moduals that I would ike to pick up... I'm a newb - and thus far have a (mother 32, dfam, maths, clouds, BIA, and an intelligenIO module for external synths.

With what I have - would it make sence to buy a sequencer - as the m32 and dfam have them... but I'm guessing some modules do a way better job?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this... and would love some advice on any mods I should consider as well... (ps: I'm into making super heavy bass music).

Thanks all
Agawell
how are you finding the sequencers in the mom and dfam?

if you are not running into issues that tell you buy a different sequencer, then buy something else

if you are totally frustrated and screaming I need a new sequencer, then I'd spend a lot of time working out exactly what my requirements are (how many voices do you want to sequence, do you want to sequence drums as well as melody, etc etc) - as they all have different workflows, levels of complexity etc - and try to think of a year or 2 years in the future - how many voices might you have then? that all want sequencing - buy a sequencer now based on what you have and then buy another in 2 years - or get one that's at least a little future proofed

for me with what you have I would be buying almost only utilities - mults, mixers, matrix mixers, attenuators/verters (4 channels of these for clouds alone), sequential switches, sample and hold, a quad cascading vca etc

I'd add links, kinks, disting mk4 and a quad vca (either veils or the intellijel one) as an absolute minimum - this will open up what you have a lot - buy less shiny boxes and more dull utilities - they put the polish on the shiny boxes and stop them becoming dull
codabass
Thank you Agawell!

To be honest, I'm finding the sequencers just fine.. The Dfam is intresting, as I like using the knobs to turn the sequencers on and off - but the m32 can read in midi from ableton and store it.. so its kinda cool too..

Perhaps in that case, I'll look into more utilities..

So sounds like you would recommend (at the minimum):

MUTABLE INSTRUMENTS LINKS & KINKS, disting mk4 and a quad vca?

How would you connect clouds to a quad vca?

Thanks so much, and sorry fore such newbie questions.
tuj
Quote:
How would you connect clouds to a quad vca?

This doesn't really make sense. Clouds is a dual-channel texture synthesizer/processor. It doesn't need a VCA to work.

I think you should do some reading on what a VCA is. You can use them to control amplitude of sound. You can also use them to scale and control CV signals, including using them for gating CV. You can use them to gate clocks. You can use them to scale an LFO to make it appropriate for a vibrato. There are lots of uses of VCA, which is why we say here:

srsly never

I recommend 2 VCA / sound-source in your system. That also means two envelopes or LFO's to control the respective VCA's.

The Disting Mk4 is like a Swiss army knife of modules, it can do virtually everything from being a delay or a filter or even a switch or quantizer or sample playback. It's very useful for finding out what you COULD use in your system. It's a great way to try new modules.
Lux A Turner
It was the search for the 'perfect' sequencer that sucked me into the modular rabbit hole in the first place.

I still haven't found it.
sir stony
Lux A Turner wrote:
I still haven't found it.

Me neither. But that has led to getting a couple of different sequencers/subsequencers that, used in varying combinations, are capable of doing things that nothing else (that I know of) can. I might eventually go bonkers and put them _all_ in one big patch and see how much intermingling madness I can tweak out of it. Sounds like a project for the christmas break, maybe. twisted
electricanada
With utilities, you can make your own sequencers, and it’s a lot more fun than buying one in a box. For example, take the outs of a clock divider into a mixer—sequencer! Or, run four CV sources into a sequential switch—sequencer!

Alternatively, use utilities to derive new sequences from your existing sequencer. Invert the output of your M32 sequence—new sequence! Sample and hold the output of your M32 sequence using a different gate pattern—new sequence! Transpose the output—new sequence!
Agawell
good point electricanada!!!

with a few basic modules and a bunch of utilities you can build almost anything

but returning to the question I was asked of how would I connect a quad vca to clouds

1. modulation into vcas, output of vcas into clouds cv ins, envelope generators into vca cv ins - so not everything is being modulated at once

2. vca patched before input to clouds

3. vca patched from outputs of clouds
DjNeinas
electricanada wrote:
With utilities, you can make your own sequencers, and it’s a lot more fun than buying one in a box. For example, take the outs of a clock divider into a mixer—sequencer! Or, run four CV sources into a sequential switch—sequencer!

Alternatively, use utilities to derive new sequences from your existing sequencer. Invert the output of your M32 sequence—new sequence! Sample and hold the output of your M32 sequence using a different gate pattern—new sequence! Transpose the output—new sequence!

Great : ) Tnx for tip. Got two Mothers and a Keystep so now I can make 9 sequencers. Wow! I'm good at math, finally.
gtrmstr53
I would second Agawell's advice about getting more utilities at this point. It seems like you have a decent number of exciting/flashy modules, but without some core utility modules there's only so much you can do with the modules you have now.

VCAs are definitely a direction most people would want to go. If you're into DIY at all, Zlob makes a nice low-hp module called VnIcursal that has 6 VCAs and a mixer. I think you can buy built versions as well.

Other than that, Links/Kinks/Disting are probably good recommendations at this point. Mutable's Stages is another nice general purpose CV source that might be worth looking into.
Illwiggle
What about some Randomness? Check out Marbles as its a bit of a sequencer as well as random sampler. Randomness can add some Life to otherwise repetitiveness ad nausea.

I would also add that, similar to VCAs, you cant really have too many sequencers, as Im discovering.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1