MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What will Dieter Doepfer's place in synth history be?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author What will Dieter Doepfer's place in synth history be?
mookmoof
As the Godfather of the eurorack format, and the maker of the most comprehensive set of modules in modular synth history, I think his contribution is profound.

In the coming decades, what will his place in synth history be? Any chance he will become as iconic as the other bigdogs?
lisa
Synth folk tend to be wary of canonizing makers that offer cheap goods. Eurorack is such an expensive field but within that field Doepfer is one of the least expensive offerings. Dieter will always be hailed as the originator but I think that his prices aren’t premium enough to gain him Moog status.
Kent
His place?

SECURE. we're not worthy
sloth713
Even though modular is quite popular now fix architecture will always rule when it comes to remembering synth creators/innovators. This is because the synths that are remembered the most are the ones that show up in popular music and just the most amount of music in general. Also doing gigs with modular is harder and tends to not make music that appeals to the masses so that make modular creators seem even more ivisible in the eye of history. Also when a fair amount of people go looking for modular sounds, experiences, and modules they look for innovative and quirky but these people forget the answer lies in your patching because these quirkier modules are just clever combinations/ short cuts of other module many a times (I am totally guilty of this and will probably stay red handed until my modular journey ends). Also many want direct clones of older stuff that are 99%-100% percent of the way their sound wise instead of 96% of the way there sound wise (like many Deopfer filters are IMHO (though IMHO 96% is more than enough)) Doepfer stuff is awesome but will only reach a small fraction of synth users compared to those like Dave Smith or Moog. Doepfer has a solid place in synth history but he will be talked about more like Serge or Buchla; unknown to many (for lack of a better term) casual synth players but greatly revered by every one who dips their toes slightly deeper into the synth world.
mg05
Isn't he already named in books and interviews in line with Buchla and Moog?
In Wikipedia not yet.
jorg
Dieter's place is secure. He fueled the 2nd Golden Age Of Modular. In this golden age, thousands of users and hundreds of makers are driving an astonishing renaissance of creativity. Bringing modular to the masses (of musicians) is a far bigger accomplishment, in my mind, than bringing endless me-too workstation synths to the shrinking and depressing world of pop music.

In the future, music will be more like in the past: something you do, not just something you hear. Mass low-cost access to the thrill of using a modular contributes greatly to that trend.

Dieter's surname will be seen in many times more musician's studios than Dr. Moog's ever was. Many kids have/will grow up with a love of modular, thanks to that accessibility.

Don't get me wrong; I have been a huge Moog fan since childhood, and was even privileged to grow up in the town where the Minimoog and Memorymoog (and others) were made - even toured the factory once! But his products were always stratospherically unattainable to me. Doepfer? Well, I got one, after wanting a modular for 50 years. Thank you Dieter!
dkcg
Now, how about Uli? twisted
Arneb
dkcg wrote:

Similar to Korg/Roland/Yamaha, I'd wager.
thispoison
Arneb wrote:
dkcg wrote:

Similar to Korg/Roland/Yamaha, I'd wager.

Absolutely, he will make the tools available to the upstarts that have no born right to them.

And they will shame us all with their talent.

Then again, does this have anything to do with the thread?

I think history will recognise what Dieter has achieved, and rightly so.
Peake
Deiter is awesome.
EPTC
Doepfer will absolutely be considered the start of all eurorack. That's nice.
gtrmstr53
My guess is that he'll end up more like Buchla than Moog. Revered in some circles but not really known in others.
AlanP
My guess is that he'll be remembered for kickstarting the most recent modular revival, much like Roger Arrick, but on a larger scale.
dooj88
jorg wrote:
Dieter's place is secure. He fueled the 2nd Golden Age Of Modular.

that's what i came here to say. not sure it's possible to dispute the fact he brought modular back into vogue for the 21st century and beyond. thank you daddy doepfer.
Roni
Just now while I was reading this thread, I got pinged by an email from Juno Records announcing that they now have the full range of Doepfer in stock. Trippy.
Dcramer
I think part of what Deiter hoped to achieve was making modular more accessible to the masses; smaller size, lower price, etc.
He has certainly done that but it’s also fair to say that he has broadened the horizons by stretching his range of modules to include some fairly rare design concepts that a poor slob like me might never have had access to. we're not worthy
MindMachine
Dcramer wrote:
I think part of what Deiter hoped to achieve was making modular more accessible to the masses; smaller size, lower price, etc.
He has certainly done that but it’s also fair to say that he has broadened the horizons by stretching his range of modules to include some fairly rare design concepts that a poor slob like me might never have had access to. we're not worthy

Perfectly said.
southphillysynths
MindMachine wrote:
Dcramer wrote:

Perfectly said.

That is exactly it, I think this is the most important part of Doepfer
Stides
lisa wrote:
Synth folk tend to be wary of canonizing makers that offer cheap goods. Eurorack is such an expensive field but within that field Doepfer is one of the least expensive offerings. Dieter will always be hailed as the originator but I think that his prices aren’t premium enough to gain him Moog status.

Couldn’t disagree less. I actually dislike the premium offerings. The whole point of euro was to be more accessible to more folks. $300 for a dual lfo is the antithesis of this.

I think folks like Tony at MakeNoise and the other second wave, who have pushed the standards have greatly grown what Doepfer has created, but to think they hold more historical significance is simply false, in my opinion.
GoldFingers
He will always be remembered for starting this entire thing
Flexyflier
mg05 wrote:
Isn't he already named in books and interviews in line with Buchla and Moog?
In Wikipedia not yet.

As he should I think.
ZargZorg
Can't predict the future and I don't think it's that relevant but I thank the man for introducing me to this types of instruments.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1