MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RME Fireface UFX+ or UAD Apollo x8 or ???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author RME Fireface UFX+ or UAD Apollo x8 or ???
guigui
Hi,

I'm making an upgrade from a Babyface Pro to a bigger interface and I think I narrowed down the list to these two: RME Fireface UFX+ and UAD Apollo x8

From personal experience, I know how it feels like to have a RME interface.

My question is: at the end, is the difference just the UAD plugins?

Or should I consider something different, like Antelope?

Cheers!
rowsbywoof
I have an RME UFX and an RME Fireface 802 connected to it on the other side of the desk via ADAT. It's a great setup, and as you probably know from working with the Babyface that the TotalMix software RME provides really makes routing and working with the interface pretty effortless.

The UAD stuff is compelling to me, since, I do know their plugins are pretty great, but it's also a big investment into a closed ecosystem and for me I have my mix of hardware and software sorted right now and I don't need to sink money into more plugins.

I think that's the main decider for going UAD vs not. If you think you'll benefit from the UAD plugins, and want to offload some of your CPU cycles to the interface, UAD is a great option. Then again, if you're happy with your current setup, and just want more, the UFX+ is likely going to be a better overall value to you.

I'm very happy with RME. Completely streamlined my process, and now using external instruments and effects are a breeze. I think if I had gone UAD, and invested into their infrastructure, I'd have been equally happy and probably very pro the Apollo, but... different timeline, for sure.
guigui
rowsbywoof wrote:
I have an RME UFX and an RME Fireface 802 connected to it on the other side of the desk via ADAT. It's a great setup, and as you probably know from working with the Babyface that the TotalMix software RME provides really makes routing and working with the interface pretty effortless.

The UAD stuff is compelling to me, since, I do know their plugins are pretty great, but it's also a big investment into a closed ecosystem and for me I have my mix of hardware and software sorted right now and I don't need to sink money into more plugins.

I think that's the main decider for going UAD vs not. If you think you'll benefit from the UAD plugins, and want to offload some of your CPU cycles to the interface, UAD is a great option. Then again, if you're happy with your current setup, and just want more, the UFX+ is likely going to be a better overall value to you.

I'm very happy with RME. Completely streamlined my process, and now using external instruments and effects are a breeze. I think if I had gone UAD, and invested into their infrastructure, I'd have been equally happy and probably very pro the Apollo, but... different timeline, for sure.

Man, your explanation made everything much clearer. Thanks a lot!

Have you ever tested Apogee interfaces?
bambrose
Look at Metric Halo too. Allows for a lot of future expandibility and they backwards support all their hardware..
jessem
One thing to keep in mind is that UAD interfaces have DC coupled outputs so you can use Ableton CV Tools or Expert Sleepers plugins with them if have some CV stuff.

I have an RME UCX, which is a great interface, but it'd be nice to have that feature.
guigui
jessem wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that UAD interfaces have DC coupled outputs so you can use Ableton CV Tools or Expert Sleepers plugins with them if have some CV stuff.

I have an RME UCX, which is a great interface, but it'd be nice to have that feature.

Ooooh, that's really cool!
acidbob
UFX and 2 x Octamic user here.
Dont have much to add, other than crisp sound, no issues, and totalmix is great.

Watch out with what kind of ADDAT cable you buy, some plugs can mess up the ports. But the thin ones from for example Thomann.
These ones are good:
http://www.thomann.de/dk/mutec_optisches_kabel_3m.htm
RedLab
bambrose wrote:
Look at Metric Halo too. Allows for a lot of future expandibility and they backwards support all their hardware..

+1
Also the converters and preamps are a considerable step up from RME
acidbob
On paper they are a step up I am sure, I am just wondering, can you actually hear it? When going from motu 896HD to my UFX the difference in my recordings were huuuuge, but I am just thinking, how much is the difference between the halo and the UFX?

Not trying to argue, but just out of interest love
guigui
bambrose wrote:

I didn't know that company. Tell me more about them. Are they new?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1