MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend a $400 and under groovebox that beats these
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Recommend a $400 and under groovebox that beats these
xradii
Sort of a last minute post before I pull the trigger on one of these lol

I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on something, $400 at the most. Right now I'm looking at the Yamaha RM1x or the Elektron Model:Samples. Anything else I'm *really* missing? The Electribe SX or EMX prices are a tad too high. So is there anything else out there in the $400 and under price range that beats these two?

Also, any reason I should get the RM1x over a Model:Samples? It's definitely more powerful but it's older and possibly prone to have issues sooner than something new.
dubonaire
xradii wrote:
Also, any reason I should get the RM1x over a Model:Samples? It's definitely more powerful but it's older and possibly prone to have issues sooner than something new.

The RM1x is pretty durable but the screen can fade and I've heard the buttons can stop working. There are replacement parts available though. The RM1x synth engine is a bit weak, the RS7000 is much better (and better all around actually). The RM1x has very powerful and accurate midi programming abilities, and has 16 tracks compared with the Model:Samples 6 tracks. 6 tracks is not a lot but is probably going to be quicker for you to make tracks.
anselmi
maybe electribe 2 range?

but I would stretch to either ESX or EMX...they worth it...the range of stuff you can do with any of them is amazing and the operations is way easier/better/efficient than the electribe 2s
xradii
Thanks dubonaire, for the reply. I'm favoring the Model:Samples for those reasons....that the RM1x could possibly have issues (screen, etc) makes me nervous.....and a faster workflow on the Model:Samples would be nice. The RS7000 prices vary a lot for some reason and most seem to be out of my price range....secretly, I really want an Octatrack or a powerful sampler/sequencer so that's another reason for the Model:Samples. I was looking at an Ensoniq asr-x earlier but the possible issues with that seem to be more than the RM1x.
CursedFrogurt
SyndieBot2000XL
Was gonna say that as far as “grooveboxes” go (synth+drum machine+sequencer) you can’t beat the novation circuit. Sounds more like you’re after a desktop sampler though. Circuit can play user created samples back, but you have to load them in over usb.
fac
SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
Circuit can play user created samples back, but you have to load them in over usb.

Same thing with the Model:Samples, I think.

The Circuit is lots of fun. I want to buy another one. But I also want to try the Elektron. Very different workflow.
RickKleffel
If you keep an eye out, you might be able to find a used MPC1000 in this range. Great sequencer, crunchy sampler... what's not to like?
xradii
Quote:
but I would stretch to either ESX or EMX

Yes, I've been looking at them. hihi I might be able to raise my budget just a bit , but I can't by more than $50-$75. Question, as far as sampling, can you record audio directly into the ESX? I'm not 100% on that.
rowsbywoof
RickKleffel wrote:
If you keep an eye out, you might be able to find a used MPC1000 in this range. Great sequencer, crunchy sampler... what's not to like?

th0mas
Do not get the model:samples for its USB audio functionality, at least with iPads it works for 20 minutes then needs a reboot.

Other than that it's pretty much the full elektron experience but only 6 tracks.
sutekina bipu-on
Definitely mpc500 or 1000! sampling rules
ludotex
Maybe you could find an OPZ for around 400$ used.
It's a fun box.
Kja
I can't believe it but there is actually a almost brand new one on reverb for $415... The opz is my favorite box and I have very expensive stuff... That is a steal..I would scoop it..I think the price on these will rise after a couple more updates, is really coming into it's own the last few updates and is really an interesting box.
CosmicFlight
+1 for MPC1000, forget the MPC500 it’s awful
anselmi
xradii wrote:
Question, as far as sampling, can you record audio directly into the ESX? I'm not 100% on that.

yes...and you can import samples via card...it even has a very good computer editor where you can build the whole image, with the list of samples and parameters, then save it and just load into the ESX in 1 step

memory is not huge, but it´s not volatile and you have a lot of sequences that can be up to 8 bars each...song mode too
xradii
Quote:
Sounds more like you’re after a desktop sampler though.

Good point, I think you're right and I probably need to edit the title. A sampler/sequencer is really what I'm after. I also have decided it needs to sample audio externally so the Model:Samples won't do, would be perfect if it did.

MPC1000 and the Electribe seems to do most of what I want....there's the SU700, need to look at that more. I need to keep it under $400, unfortunately. I know that really limits me. Thanks all.
the PMO
Keep an eye out for a Roland MV8000/8800. Crazy functionality, sounds amazing and can be had for super cheap sometimes for some strange reason. Seriously underrated.
soundinett
Check out the Zoom ARQ 96. Sampler, synth, drummachine...
Dirt cheep.

v=HDyqrrrKjMw
LameAim
the PMO wrote:
Keep an eye out for a Roland MV8000/8800. Crazy functionality, sounds amazing and can be had for super cheap sometimes for some strange reason. Seriously underrated.

Agreed with this.

$400 won't go super far if you're shopping current gen and need sampling in the hardware itself (recording new samples directly onto the device, not just loading samples).

I'd start looking at MV-8800s if space wasn't a concern.

MPC1000s can be had for super cheap.

Other samplers that can be had in this range are the Roland SP-404 and the Korg ESX. The SP-404 is weaker on the sequencing side but has a fairly stout following and there's lots of info out there about it.
dogoftears
what about the new roland mc 101? 500 new... surely u can find a used one for 400ish.
JankySwitch
I had a digitakt and sold it for a RM1X & AKAI S5000 combo as the midi sequencing on the digitakt was getting to me (ended up costing about the same after getting SCSI2SD and extra RAM)

Although writing patterns on the digitakt was fast (and the sound was great), the midi implementation was poor and I wanted to be able to save pattern chains.

I've had the RM1X since March and spent a fair bit of time with it. The midi sequencing is much more thorough, but there are issues that are making me look elsewhere. If you are editing in grid mode, you can only listen to one bar at a time and you can't hear the rest of your tracks. So if you wanted a 4 bar drum loop, you have to write one bar, stop, move to the next, go enter the next loop. And you can't hear the rest of the tracks in this mode. If you have split your drums over 8 tracks (it has a feature to split one track to 8 for you), and want to edit in drum mode, you will only hear that one drum track.

Real time recording works as you'd expect. Step mode is fine for mono instruments, but gets tricky if you have polyphonic instruments or are editing drum tracks.

There is a lot of functionality, but there is also a lot of starting and stopping the sequencer to do things. I think the RS7000 fixed many of these issues.

I haven't used the synth engine much, so won't comment on it.

The RS7000 was over my budget when I was looking, but I think if I had stretched to it, I wouldn't be looking now.

(Currently eyeing up a Squarp Pyramid...)
Funky40
bevore i´d ever spend 400$ in a model:S i´d add another 200$ and ´d buy a Digitakt.
its one of the best bargains these days.

the main drawbacks are overlookable ( NO: stereo samples / NO: delay per track ......plus maybe some smaller ones)

i still have a MPC1000, i like it for some things,
but to me it really takes its time to dive into the machine and to become familiar with the several aspects of it !
starting with that you have to learn to deal with several file formats and that you have to find your own workflows.
i personally quasi NEVER used the MPC1ks internal sequenzer.......which might tell something.
Nothing that i would recommend to noobs these days.
Digitakt is IMHO where the sun shines vs. a affordable "sample based groovebox".
xradii
There's a mpc2000xl for sale locally for about the same as a mpc1000. anything i should know about the 2000xl compared to the 1000?
rowsbywoof
I think the 2000 would be a good buy if you're getting started. The build quality would be a bit of a step up over the 1000, but it's not like the 1000 is bad, just made to be more budget minded so some of the stuff is a little less robust. With any of the MPCs, really you get what you give. Good samples into the machine yield good results. Not a lot of magic in either the 1000 or 2000, but you do get a really good sequencer and some awesome flexibility that could make it the heart of your setup.

As noted above, it might take some time to jive with the MPC workflow, but once you get it... You get it. If I was looking for a groove box to not just start on, but to really learn on, the MPC would honestly be a great place to dive in. I think the learning curve is a lot better than on the Elektron machines (but I have no knowledge at all of the newer models, so maybe the onboarding is better now. Say something like an Octotrack or something like that, though, yeah MPC all day). But really, either would get you where you want to go in the end.

Edit: Did I drink too much coffee and imagine someone was asking about the differences between a 2000XL and 1000? Maybe... Om
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2