MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Audio Routing Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Audio Routing Modular
InsectInPixel
Hi Folks,
I have a routing dilemma w/ my gear. I seem to struggle with routing my Modular and gear into my mixer in the best way possible with what i have. Here's a link to my modular on ModularGrid to give you an idea of what i'm speaking of. I have a couple synths that that have external input (Elektron Analog Keys, Digitakt and Roland TR-8s) that gives me routing options. I even have an old Korg Kaoss Mixer that i can route through but ultimately needs to be fed into the main mixer. Then, there's the stereo problem. some of my modules are in stereo. Elements, Rainmaker, etc. Should I route all of my VCAs to my MutaMix, then into my mixer? Or should i have one dedicated VCA for Right and a dedicated VCA for left? I have an Allen & Heath Z14 FX mixer. It's 14 channels but really only 4 stereo channels. The Mixer has USB and two channels that connect to my mac. I also have the option of using my AK as my "sound card". I'm trying to make do with what i have but i really think i just need a mixer with many more channels.
Any suggestions?
Cheers!
PhineasFreak
the modules you dont really want to be exiting your modularr as a systm until youve done all patching - you may want to route oscs through effects or effects through vcas or use a vco to fm something - it'll be different everytime.

as a result most end up only sending signal out as one final mixed down to a single stereo/mono out when the entire patch is built.

also you may find theres oother advantages to using modular mixers in the case for modular...
EPTC
Toppo Brillo just posted about this - Seems appropriate: https://toppobrillo.com/products/stereomix-2-black-panel — Might be perfect for you!

Good question to ask yourself might be: How many separate voices do you have? Maybe list them out on a sheet of paper. If they are feeling unmanageable, how can you combine separate ones into sets?

I like to blend things with volume into mono mixes. I find modular makes really packed bass-heavy noises, so I use passive mixers to kind of blend things down. Passive mixers attenuate, so it thins out some of the fidelity, which is useful for mixing sounds into a blended combined shape. A few ArtMix split fours might work well for you: https://artproaudio.com/product/splitmix4-four-channel-passive-splitte r-mixer/

The idea here would be to merge a bunch of sounds into separate groups of four, and take those out to your A&H mixer, maybe. Of course if you have a large mixer with enough inputs for all your voices that's a solution too, but it sounds like maybe you're not seeing what things can be combined.

Fun conversation.
Dcramer
I’ve struggled with different options for this problem for a while.
Typically what I do is setup a big patch using the 16 channel mixer I’ve got in my rack and will often just record it’s stereo out, effects and all.
Now I’m using one of those Mackie digital ‘stage box mixers’ which also functions as a multi channel USB interface.
Once I’ve got my patch ready to record I can simply repatch the separate voices into the digital mixer and record separate channels in one pass.
Luckily, the Mackie mixer has such a wide range of input level, it easily copes with the hot modular signal levels. thumbs up w00t
BenA718
I am using an external mixer as well, even when the modular is mixed down to stereo. This brings my modular, drum machines, and external synths into one place for routing and level adjustments. I aux out of the mixer to a BOSS RV-500 and then send the dry stereo main outs to a pair of inputs on my interface and the wet outs from the RV-500 to another pair of inputs. I have a template in my DAW for this setup and just have to press Record.
windchill
I tried various approaches, including in-rack mixing to stereo, a large Mackie mixer to stereo, etc, but finally found what works for me: A McMillen K-Mix.
This works as a separate hands-on mixer but is also an 8 channel usb interface, I can also set up a separate aux mix to stereo - which is very useful when I just want to record an idea on to my Olympus LS12, so I don't need to even turn on the computer. You can record pre or post fader.

As a bonus the K-Mix is small and has no moving parts so it's very portable, it can work as a simple live mixer, does quad and surround....

If it had a couple of dedicated fx returns it would be perfect - but as it is it's proven to be a very useful tool for my modular.
abelovesfun
In the rack, I use a matrix mixer to shuttle things around. Then they exit the rack into a patchbay, which goes into and out of most everything, and from there can go into the apollo.

I don't use a hardware mixer or sends, I'll just patch things in and out of the apollo into and out of effects via the patchbay. Hope that helps!
MarcelP
I have a Soundcraft Signature MTK22 to mix everything to a stereo pair and this allows me to record all modular voices/outputs as separate tracks simultaneously. Gives the flexibilty of being able to mix later and having a direct to 2 track live performance. (I don't overdub).

I am reconciled with audio mixing being 'external" to the modular instrument in the same way I require/need my monitors to be built into the modular either. The whole forms my modular studio.
BenA718
abelovesfun wrote:
In the rack, I use a matrix mixer to shuttle things around. Then they exit the rack into a patchbay, which goes into and out of most everything, and from there can go into the apollo.

I don't use a hardware mixer or sends, I'll just patch things in and out of the apollo into and out of effects via the patchbay. Hope that helps!

This is a great way to work if you have a template set up. I use a patch bay on my desk as well, it makes routing a snap!
Pelsea
I use three levels of mixing--
Mix modules (4 or 5 inputs per 6U) to combine voices. These provide an easy way to balance parts during performance-- they also convert the output to studio line level. I think of these outputs as stems.

A dedicated small mixer (Mackie Mix 8) combines the stems into a stereo output. This mixer lives right next to the synth keyboard area and travels with the synth when I go out to perform. I use it to balance the stems, which may be the classic drums, bass, rhythm, leads or independent patches for a long set.

The Mackie is connected to a patchbay and normalled through to my studio mixer (a bigger Mackie). The patchbay makes it convenient to choose which of several synthesizers to use, route effects, and so on. The big Mackie is mostly used for monitoring these days, as I mix recorded projects in the box.
InsectInPixel
Thank you to EVERYONE! I really appreciate your input on this. I was traveling and wasn't able to respond and look over all your help. I'll chip away at it the next couple days, now i'm back to my daily routine.
This is so awesome that you folks do this and give your "two cents", but to me it's like the current value of at least a Bitcoin! ~some things you just can't put a price on. i'm finished being sappy now wink
dooj88
Pelsea wrote:
I use three levels of mixing--
Mix modules (4 or 5 inputs per 6U) to combine voices. These provide an easy way to balance parts during performance-- they also convert the output to studio line level. I think of these outputs as stems.

A dedicated small mixer (Mackie Mix 8) combines the stems into a stereo output. This mixer lives right next to the synth keyboard area and travels with the synth when I go out to perform. I use it to balance the stems, which may be the classic drums, bass, rhythm, leads or independent patches for a long set.

this is my setup and method, but a behringer mixer i bought years ago instead of a mackie. [although i am looking for a slight upgrade to be able to have 2 send/return channels. one for reverb, one for an m13 mutli fx pedal.] but i record off my mixer's stereo outs to a field recorder, then dump the files onto the pc in case i want to upload it anywhere. don't do any post except normalization.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1