MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sudden GAS attack for a Waldorf Quantum, send help!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Sudden GAS attack for a Waldorf Quantum, send help!
ObsoleteModular
I've become obsessed with the Waldorf Quantum. It's £3,500. Please save me from myself.
oldgearguy
ObsoleteModular wrote:
I've become obsessed with the Waldorf Quantum. It's £3,500. Please save me from myself.

Do you see yourself enjoying sitting down in front of a touchscreen and thumbing through a bunch of menus doing deep sound design?

Do you have the space for the synth so that you can reach the controls and use the touch screen easily (i.e. - not standing up)?

If you're not much of a sound designer and more of a player, are the dedicated controls and such enough for what you need?

Is it replacing another machine (or machines) that you use all the time?

Do you really need the types of synthesis it provides to make the music you hear in your head?

Those are some of the thoughts I had when I was GASsing for the Quantum. To date, there is no Quantum here. Others will give you lots of reasons to buy one.
anselmi
it´s a fancy controller with an attached iPad

get a real synth, man

feel better? thumbs up
ObsoleteModular
Haha!

Excellent replies.

Thank you gentleman.
tehyar
This guy can help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmMC3Y9poA8
mg05
Depends on the location - you could try to make some music and play around with the Waldorf Quantum first?
In a music shop? Or borrow it? Visit a friend with a Quantum?
peripatitis
Ironing out bugs of flagship synths, is not what Waldorf is know for.
dubonaire
tehyar wrote:
This guy can help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmMC3Y9poA8

His bottom teeth bother me. No offence to Tim Shoebridge.
RickKleffel
Do you have a keyboard? Yes. -> Do you need a keyboard? ->No.
Do you have a keyboard? No. -> Do you need a keyboard? ->
rowsbywoof
It's weird. I know I'd love the Quantum, but I also feel like I can get 80% there with what I currently have and the GAS has been weaker than expected on it. I think I have more FOMO thoughts on a Quantum, with the idea it could be the next Wave in mystique and price later on down the line, but really, the GAS for the actual owning and playing a Quantum is so much lower than I expected.

That being said, I think it's a gorgeous sounding, and flat out gorgeous looking synth. That and the Prophet X are probably the two keyboards that have excited me the most out of the current deluge of amazing synths, but right now I'm not really looking at pulling the trigger on either. I think if I did, though, I'd lean more on the Prophet just because I like the idea of so much control over samples, and see it more as a modern day take on the Hartmann Neuron (which I'm still a huge fan and user of).
dubonaire
rowsbywoof wrote:
It's weird. I know I'd love the Quantum, but I also feel like I can get 80% there with what I currently have and the GAS has been weaker than expected on it. I think I have more FOMO thoughts on a Quantum, with the idea it could be the next Wave in mystique and price later on down the line, but really, the GAS for the actual owning and playing a Quantum is so much lower than I expected.

That being said, I think it's a gorgeous sounding, and flat out gorgeous looking synth. That and the Prophet X are probably the two keyboards that have excited me the most out of the current deluge of amazing synths, but right now I'm not really looking at pulling the trigger on either. I think if I did, though, I'd lean more on the Prophet just because I like the idea of so much control over samples, and see it more as a modern day take on the Hartmann Neuron (which I'm still a huge fan and user of).

I feel exactly the same way.
SB-SIX
Get nave on the ipad and you are 90% there
poppinger
SB-SIX wrote:
Get nave on the ipad and you are 90% there

Nave really is hugely underrated. Besides if you program a bunch of Nave patches you like, if you eventually decide to get a Quantum you can load them straight in.
electricfence
Well, it says here that if you apply too much of the built-in compression, it clicks.:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223415

(Now where is that alka-seltzer emoji ... MY ASS IS BLEEDING ?)
suboptimal
Just buy an empty 9U Eurorack case. Your distraction will fade.
Gringo Starr
Every demo I’ve ever heard of the Quantum sounds like total shit to me. Boring as hell. Cold and stale. I’ve been wondering for so long why Waldorf would’ve spent so much time on such a crappy sounding synthesizer.

The other day I unexpectedly found myself in the presence of the Quantum so of course I played it and I was totally surprised and almost floored at how amazing it sounded. That thing is alive and jumps out of the speakers in that special way that only few synths seem to do. Even little changes in the filters were so responsive and effected the sound in such a pleasing way. That is one synth that must be heard in person because IMO the online demos don’t do it justice.

I’m still not sure it would be suitable for the music I do but regardless the Quantum is beautiful and you’re obsessed with it for a good reason.
Richard deHove
Isn't its screen performance far worse than current tablets? Give it a few years and that screen is going to look and feel primitive and clunky.
Sir Ruff
peripatitis wrote:
Ironing out bugs of flagship synths, is not what Waldorf is know for.

Perhaps not in the past, but they are doing an incredible job of being responsive to addressing bugs now almost in realtime. They are up to rev. 8 in their soon to be released OS 2.0.

The one technical outstanding issue is that the screen needs a little more pressure in the lower right corner, or right-hand side, but AFAIK, it's been corrected in the factory and no new units have this issue. It still works as-is, but it's not ideal.

Also, regarding presets--this isn't a bread and butter analog poly, there are literally 4 entirely different types of synthesis in there now (the current new OS update adds essentially 6 more types). The first adopters that post the first demos are RARELY the ones who are able to get the most out of a machine--they are typically preset-only folks who just want to get their online kudos. Judging any machine on it's presets is typically a waste of time (try listening to the Xpander/M-12 presets--you would have NEVER bought the machine based on those) but all the moreso for a complex synth like this. Like, all you have to do is look at the specs to know it's not going to sound crap so it's sort of pointless basing any opinions on what you perceive as terrible presets.
tehyar
I strongly encourage anyone with concerns about the screen to watch the video I linked above. It's extremely detailed and informative.

Some of the reports of lack of sensitivity on the right side are due to lack of understanding of how the controls on those pages work - which is understandable due to how oddly the screen controls operate.

The screen isn't great for scrolling. In fact it's downright shit for it unless you're a butterfingers (actual butter on your fingers hihi). Hopefully they'll be alleviating that in a future OS with better usage of the Big Knob.
rowsbywoof
tehyar wrote:
I strongly encourage anyone with concerns about the screen to watch the video I linked above. It's extremely detailed and informative.

Some of the reports of lack of sensitivity on the right side are due to lack of understanding of how the controls on those pages work - which is understandable due to how oddly the screen controls operate.

The screen isn't great for scrolling. In fact it's downright shit for it unless you're a butterfingers (actual butter on your fingers hihi). Hopefully they'll be alleviating that in a future OS with better usage of the Big Knob.

That was actually really informative, and left me sort of sour on the Quantum, too. Shame they dropped the ball with the touch screen, as it really is so integral to the synth. I know we're all spoiled by the responsiveness of iOS and Android devices these days, and figured complaints of it being sluggish were a little overinflated, but that video was pretty eye opening to watch. Seems like the screen woefully under performs.

Oh well. Even more reason to pick up Nave for $20 and get your fill with a nice responsive interface. I should probably do that one of these days.
Neo
Do you need it?
No, you don't need it.
Wait 2 months and you'll be thinking "what was I thinking"
steffengrondahl
ObsoleteModular wrote:

The Prophet X looks better cool

Most people agree the demos are week, so must the synth be hihi

It's just a Neuron with an iPad Mr. Green

It's just a Blofeld with an iPad razz

It's just an iPad with some knobs spinning

You can have one one for the price of two quantums zombie
Illiac
As SB-SIX mentioned, Nave on a nice, big iPad and a good keyboard controller scratches the itch quite nicely.
jabs
This is why you shouldn't get a Quantum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrJxCOXWr04&t=14s

cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1