MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

eurorack filters by clone type
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author eurorack filters by clone type
asterisk
hi friends,
i made this list as an aid to keeping track which filters are clones of which type.
im sure someone has done this before but i wanted to share my list with you.
let me know if im forgetting anything, im sure i am. (i didnt include filters that arent clones or similar to other known filters)

---

ARP 2600 (4075)
stg post lawsuit filter
bananalogue LPFA

Korg MS20
analogue solutions SY02
doepfer a106-1
malekko / wiard borg

Moog
analogue solutions SY03
analogue solutions SY04
doepfer a108
doepfer a120
analogue systems RS100
mfb 24dB VCF
macbeth 'backend' filter?

Oberheim / SEM
doepfer a106-5 (SEM)
bubblesound SeM20 V/S/F

CEM
doepfer a121 (CEM3320)
doepfer a122 (CEM3379)

Oberheim Xpander
doepfer a106-6
doepfer a107 (Matrix 12 / Xpander)

Korg Mono/Poly / Prophet 5 (SSM 2040/2044)
doepfer a105
tiptop z2040
filtare SEIII

EMS Synthi / VCS
analogue systems RS500e
STG sea devils filter
doepfer a102

Polivoks
harvestman polivoks

Wasp
doepfer a124

Steiner
livewire frequensteiner
elby synthacon
doepfer a101-1

TB303
doepfer a103
doepfer a102

Buchla
plan b model 12
make noise qmmg
plan b model 13
doepfer a101-2

Trautonium
doepfer a104
ignatius
stg sea devils is a synthi type filter akaik
asterisk
can anyone crack this code about the sea devils filter?

"there are two famous 3 pole diode ladder lowpass filters. one of them was in a little silver box of a synthesizer with integrated sequencer that was used to make "acid tracks" and the other one was was in a big suitcase of a synthesizer with a silver faceplate and semi-integrated sequencer that was used to make tracks while on acid. this is the latter. we're not going to name any names here but let's hope we don't have to mention any voltage controlled studios or electronic music studios to establish the lineage of this filter topology."
Cat-A-Tonic
asterisk wrote:
can anyone crack this code about the sea devils filter?

"there are two famous 3 pole diode ladder lowpass filters. one of them was in a little silver box of a synthesizer with integrated sequencer that was used to make "acid tracks" and the other one was was in a big suitcase of a synthesizer with a silver faceplate and semi-integrated sequencer that was used to make tracks while on acid. this is the latter. we're not going to name any names here but let's hope we don't have to mention any voltage controlled studios or electronic music studios to establish the lineage of this filter topology."

Synthi (Pink Floyd reference), and TB-303...

Bananalogue LPFA is an ARP 4075 clone like the Post Lawsuit.
numan7
see Ignatius' reply above....

afaik, sea devils lpf was inspired by the 3 pole vcf of the ems synthi 1 modular system at bbc that was used for the soundtracks for the tv show doctor who in the 1970s (one of the episodes in particular had the title 'sea devils').

maybe stg will chime in ...

cheers,
n7
asterisk
never heard of or seen the bananalogue filter. was that in eurorack?
i only know their VCS...
ping panic
wow! thanks for this!
giorgio
asterisk wrote:
...voltage controlled studios or electronic music studios...

VCS
EMS

->

EMS VCS 3

same as synthi if i'm not mistaken

so yeah there it is
asterisk
are the plan B M11 & M12 modeled after anything?

and maybe i should add a Buchla category for the low pass gates / vactrol filters?
Hi5
asterisk wrote:
are the plan B M11 & M12 modeled after anything?

and maybe i should add a Buchla category for the low pass gates / vactrol filters?

Going off of Peter's naming scheme I am pretty sure the model 12 is based on the Buchla 291. Now it is not an exact implementation as the Plan B unit has multiple outs and no bandwith VC but I believe this is what he was aiming for. The bandpass mode is the most badass part of the Plan B module at any rate.

M11 I am not sure about.
Reptil
a-121 doepfer uses CEM3320 so there's some resemblance to other filters
http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php?page=info.cem3320

a-122 uses CEM3379
stromcat
to be consistent you might wanna change ssm to "korg monopoly/prophet 5"...
baboo
The analogue Solutions SY04 is the same as SY03 but in 6HP, so it's worth mentioning too. I think it is the only 6HP filter (with VCA) in Euroland and it also sounds very pretty
MrDys
Doepfer A107 is a morphable version of the A106-6, and therefore (kinda, sorta) a OB-X clone.
hpsounds
MrDys wrote:
Doepfer A107 is a morphable version of the A106-6, and therefore (kinda, sorta) a OB-X clone.

These filters are clones of the Xpander filters and not the OB-X.
http://www.doepfer.de/a1066.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/a107.htm

Hédi K.
Klopfgeist
Doepfer A-102 is a Synthi filter.
mark_snipz
The only filter thats ever gonna come close to a 303 is the Oakley Diode Superladder...
richard
all this catagorisation makes me panic a bit! seriously, i just don't get it

I guess its really not what I'm into
ben jah men
^ why not?

while I agree that clones aren't as cool as new things... I don't see why a list is a bad thing.
Monobass
Doesn't the

bubblesound SeM20 V/S/F

kind of belong in the MS20 list also?

Quote:
This is a classic OTA filter design that is very close to the filter from the Oberheim SEM. To add more bite to the top end of the resonance the diode feedback section of the MS20 was grafted on to this design giving the user a smooth, SEM like filter with the resonance below 50%, but above 50% the resonance gets a bit more out of control.

Macbeth filter in the Moog list?
asterisk
sem20 - the 20 part gives it away, yes part MS20.

it looks like the A102 is part moog / part 303

forgot about the macbeth filter!

i understand that not all filters are neatly categorized nor do they actually usually sound like their cloned counterparts.
but it was just a way for me to organize in my mind all of the filters available in eurorack format since there are so many! i just couldnt keep them all straight.
asterisk
anyone know if the various Cwejman filters are working off of previous filter models or not?
btv
nice list my man. I can dig that the idea of categorizing clones could be a bit slippery but I think it is wonderful that you put the time in. thanks!
Monobass
asterisk wrote:
i understand that not all filters are neatly categorized nor do they actually usually sound like their cloned counterparts.
but it was just a way for me to organize in my mind all of the filters available in eurorack format since there are so many! i just couldnt keep them all straight.

yeah it's a great idea, people can choose to use this or not - I find it really useful.
stromcat
you could include diy options potentially? maybe not, but it might tempt someone who wants a clone but didnt realise a DIY option existed:

papareil polivoks
http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/vcf_polivoks/vcf_polivoks.htm

papareil synthacon
http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/vcf_synthacon/vcf_synthacon.htm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4