MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Price of front panels?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Price of front panels?
zthee
I'm just wondering how much you guys are willing to pay for a front panel?

I'm looking into making some. 4U format, will fit a Buchla system.

Though I've run into some problems regarding the cost. Milling, silk screening, mounting PCBs etc. cost a lot of money.

It would be the original Buchla blue color. And also with PCBs to mount LEDS, pots and everything else on, so the panels can be kept as clean as possible. (The PCBs are designed for premium components (I.e. Bourns pots, NKK switches etc.). You could probably fit other components but I can't promise anything.. So even that will be pricey!)

This would be very limited runs, not ever coming back again. One run and that's it. And also a very limited run of panels. 9 or less per run.

Because it's very expensive to do this I can't afford making bigger runs. And I don't want to run my hobby business on "cash in advance". Since that sorta spoils all the fun IMHO.

So how much would you be willing to pay for a panel? Right now I'm up in about $200-$300 for one.

They will be good looking as !"#% though.

This is nothing really imminent though. It'll probably take me a year or so before I get off my skinny ass and make it happen...
Kent
I'm intrigued and confused. Buchla panels for which module or circuit?
zthee
Not original Buchla modules. They will be Buchla style panels. For example the Klee already discussed before (though new and improved design). Perhaps Haible modules as well.

I think I'd like to offer the people who have a Buchla do add other modules to their system, and for people not owning a Buchla a place to start...
Kent
Now I'm even more intrigued... Do you have a link to the Buchla-sized Klee panels? I've got 2 Klees to build. This could be exactly what I've been waiting for.
zthee
No links yet. I want to finish the designs 100% before I post them... Sorry if that makes it hard to answer the question.
Pfurmel
zthee wrote:
For example the Klee already discussed before (though new and improved design). Perhaps Haible modules as well.

Damn, I would have been intersted in one of those if I hadn't just orderd a bridechamber one!

If I was getting one $200 would be the most I'd spend though.
bf
Are we talking an entire 17" panel, or smaller module sized panels? If the $2-300 includes the panel component PCB this is something I would very well be interested in. This also has the potential for group buys on the premium components for the panel.
mono-poly
What about the klee / shift register panel?
Btw i can organize panel runs
zthee
bf wrote:
Are we talking an entire 17" panel, or smaller module sized panels? If the $2-300 includes the panel component PCB this is something I would very well be interested in..

They are smaller panels. 4.25" to 8.5" wide. Yes, the panel component PCB will be included in the price.

Mono-Poly, We can look into the Klee/Gated comparator panel in the future.
fluxmonkey
those figure$ sound ballpark reasonable, depending on the specifics... so keep designing, your work is always stunning. a matching PCB to hold panel controls would be a huge win, panel wiring is the bane of my DIY life.

how to integrate is more of an issue for me than price. i already have modules in 5 formats, and Buchla isn't one of 'em. adding a full 19" panel in a new format would make sense; adding 1 or 2 modules would be harder to justify. so i think offering panels for individual modules in a format that has a very small market share will keep your audience small and your prices high... not necessarily a bad thing, that small audience is self-selecting to folks who have a penny or 2 to spend. but not so much if you want to keep prices down.

another aspect, if you do want to widen the market, would be to keep the jack arrangement flexible for compatibility. my suggestion for DIY would be to put in 1/4" holes for all jacks; folks could enlarge for bananas as they see fit (all for serge compatibility, or just the CVs for the true buchla flavor).

just my $.02

b
bf
zthee wrote:
They are smaller panels. 4.25" to 8.5" wide. Yes, the panel component PCB will be included in the price.
Less interested in smaller panels than a full panel design, but I guess it depends on the module.
Pfurmel
zthee wrote:

Didn't realise that, 200-300 would be pretty reasonable so.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1