MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I want to buy an accurate DVM
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author I want to buy an accurate DVM
doctorvague
I like calibrating my stuff as close as I can get it.
I want to calibrate 2 Monopoly's to this spec for starters:

What meter would you guys recommend?

TIA
Phil
daverj
+/- 1mv when measuring 10.583 volts is .01% accuracy. That's probably going to require a bench type multimeter in the range of $750-$1500
Kent
I've always been fond of the Fluke brand.
paults
HP 34401A is the best "bang for the buck" DVM ever made (now on it's 5th version).

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Agilent-34401A-6-5-DMM-Digital-Multimeter-/2206 84487815?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3361d20c87
daverj
Buying used like that is a great way to get a high end unit at a discount price.

To have the level of accuracy needed by the sheet in the original post it's probably worth paying for a professional calibration after buying a used one.
richard_k
The HP 34401 is a pretty good meter but you can get better for about the same price. Consider an Agilent 3456A 6 digit Digital Meter. It can be used for 2- or 4-wire measurements. You can program it from the front panel for min-max values which is very handy when matching resistors. Current prices are around $250-500 depending on where you shop. In my not so humble opionion, the 3456A is a better value than the 34401. I have no connection to Agilent, just a happy owner of a 3456A. hihi
doctorvague
Thanks for the replies guys and sorry about my non-response. I must have forgotten to check the notify box so didn't think anyone had replied.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1