MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Feedback Patches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Feedback Patches
D/A A/D
Lets talk some turkey about feedback patches, I am looking into a Metalbox Matrix Mixer currently now that I have joint the nation of Fraclandia.

One thing that has grabbed my interest is the effect of inverted audio in use with feedback patches.

What are all you crazy cats doing for feedback patches? It's funny because I thought after working with feedback loop pedals / mixers for over 10 years feedback patching with my modular would be second nature - but its not.

confused
Kent
One of the easiest that I do is to take one of the outputs (left or right) of the MuRF and feed it into the input. Then use the other out for blendable/synchronised fun!

Super simple and fun!

The Harvestman Polivoks can do this as well. Stick a CV sequencer in the feedback loop and go nuts!
D/A A/D
Kent wrote:
One of the easiest that I do is to take one of the outputs (left or right) of the MuRF and feed it into the input. Then use the other out for blendable/synchronised fun!

Super simple and fun!

The Harvetman Polivoks can do this as well. Stick a CV sequencer in the feedback loop and go nuts!

Yeah, that's the classic trick. I wish I had room for a Polivoks.
chimologic
yes, agreed the polyvoks is amazing for feedback based stuff, + also the cv input is bipolar which can create some nice effects, so add a little something something into the loop and send it to that cv input for extended fun.
humanfaculties
Kent wrote:

Ha, ha....just patched this one up...fun! Got some good 'stepping on a goose' sounds.

I've had loads of inspiration from setting up modular feedback patches using acoustic phenomena, introduced somewhere in the circuit so-to-speak...a la David Tudor/rainforest.
D/A A/D
Here is a sample of me running my A-116 into my M25 (waveshape mode) into my A-101-2 (lowpass mode) then back into the A-116. I have my quadrature sine controlling all the CV's on all 3 mods, and I also tweak knobs as the sample plots along.

Enjoy:
VanEck
One of the most basic Feedback loops I used to make was done with my old Boss RV3 Digital Delay and Reverb pedal.

If you route the second output and plug it into your input, then go out of the "mono output", it is instant feedback fun. Setting the pedal on one of the "delay only" modes allows for some control by adjusting the delay length and feedback. The reverb modes aren't as versatile.
D/A A/D
As stated I am perfectly aware how to create feedback loops with pedals, I have been doing so for over 10 years. I am looking for new territory with feedback looping my modular.
dkcg
The QMMG is great for feedback loops...did yours arrive yet?

I haven't done so yet, but I get the QMMG and Stilton would make a killer feedback marriage made in sonic heaven.
D/A A/D
dkcg wrote:
The QMMG is great for feedback loops...did yours arrive yet?

I haven't done so yet, but I get the QMMG and Stilton would make a killer feedback marriage made in sonic heaven.

Not yet... Hopefully Friday, as I have a big gig Saturday.
MrDys
D/A A/D wrote:
Here is a sample of...

Wow, I like that a lot. Are there any considerations that you need to make in feedback patches to avoid overloading/burning out circuits?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
doepfers spring reverb is really cool for feedback stuff, its very simple to.

just pump up the feedback, wait 10 seconds or so... and listen.
no need to really connect anything to anything. Works even when theres no input.
DGTom
Spring reverb feedback is awesome!

One of the best sounds my vcs3 does is patching the out of the reverb to the internal speakers, then modulating the output volumes with the LFO & trapazoid & getting acoustic feedback building up! I did a piece ages ago with this patch, keeping the feedback right on the edge & tapping a coin on the front panel just above where the tank is mounted to set it off, big bass booms from tapping with a finger as well!

I've always liked CV feedback, modulating an LFO with one of its waveforms & FM feedback, FMing the M15 with its sine/triangle wave for knobbly bass tones.
D/A A/D
MrDys wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
Here is a sample of...

Wow, I like that a lot. Are there any considerations that you need to make in feedback patches to avoid overloading/burning out circuits?

I imagine so... I get nervous sometimes.
wetterberg
D/A A/D wrote:
MrDys wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
Here is a sample of...

I wouldn't be, though - feedback on a modular is considered normal use - esoteric, yes, but normal use wink

these two tracks are basically complexity-through-feedback, on a small 1-osc modular.
http://wetterberg.dk/tracks/Wetterberg.-.Scones.mp3
http://wetterberg.dk/tracks/wetterberg.LAEI.mp3
D/A A/D
wetterberg wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
MrDys wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
Here is a sample of...

I wouldn't be, though - feedback on a modular is considered normal use - esoteric, yes, but normal use wink

these two tracks are basically complexity-through-feedback, on a small 1-osc modular.

I love your tunes man...
haiku-ish
thanks for the tips Kent,
i'll try it with my murf, i really don't know what to do with it
i don't like it very much... thinking off selling it...
but i'll give your patch a try... perhaps i'll love the sound and keep it...
Kent
Haiku-ish,

The MuRF really works well in the external/feedback loop of a delay. The Moog MF-104 has this facility and so does the Analogue Systems RS-290. The repeating delays fade off into the distance in a cascade of stepped (or swept) filter resonance. It's a cool trick. The MuRF is also great with chords. It tends to need very harmonically rich material due to the nature of the product. It is selectively accentuating a wide bandwidth of frequencies. So run a distortion before it or use its own 'Drive' control to get some more harmonic meat out of single note lines.

Sorry for the Off Topic! Back to the Sonarchy!
wetterberg
D/A A/D wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
MrDys wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
Here is a sample of...

I love your tunes man...
And I yours smile
I'm still at "stage 1" though - the isolated-modular-noodle stage, which is great, but I look forward to introducing this to my other friends, "Ableton" and "Live" for some more chopped up goodness twisted
tragedybysyntax
I've messed around with feedback loops with my Audible Disease RP1 and a bunch of pedals... and my photo thermin for the signal. Really cool...

However, My Stilton comes in tomorrow and my QMMG comes in on xmas. Should be LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of carnage to be had with those two modules plus my pedals and other modules... twisted
haiku-ish
Kent that trick with the Murf is really really good !
thanks for sharing, i'll keep it, good sines out of this pedal this way !!
Pulse Emitter
well, i finally discovered this forum (thanks Alex!). pretty cool discussions for sure.

seems others have figured out the polivoks is good for feedback! so is the steiner parker filter. i always like to take a filter's output and put it into it's own freq cutoff CV to add grit and mayhem.

feeding back into an oscillator's pulse width CV can be cool too.

ditto on LFO feedback for those hybrid shapes, totally useful.

also cross-feedbacking delays with a mixer is cool, makes a long complex delay, almost a reverb really. put 1 delay on aux send 1 and another on aux send 2. take their outputs into 2 new channels on the mixer instead of using the aux returns. on delay 1's channel turn up aux 2 a bit, on delay 2's channel turn up aux 1. then pan them!
dougcl
Looking forward to seeing one of your shows.
D/A A/D
Happy to see you here Daryl!

Drinking
swordsect
a wundur
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2