MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ADDAC101 .WAV Player file and filename format?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author ADDAC101 .WAV Player file and filename format?
clone45
Hello,

I just got a new ADDAC101 .WAV Player in today. I made a little boo-boo and deleted all of the .wav files on the included micro-SD card before taking note of the filenames and file specifics. Can anyone tell me what the file names and formats are? For example, bitrate, etc.

When I guessed and loaded the micro-sd with .wav files, the addac player's error indicator lit up and.. well... I'm stuck until I can figure it out.

Thanks!
- Bret
nuttymad
You should try posting this in the ADDAC system subforum.
clone45
True, true. I emailed Andre from ADDAC, but I figured this forum is probably the most trafficked forum and I'd be most likely to connect with another owner. I expect Andre will answer, but, as you can imagine, I'm anxious to play with my new toy!!

Cheers,
- Bret
maise
look here:
http://andregoncalves.info/addac/?page_id=722
clone45
Ah! Thanks maise. That page gave me the info I was looking for. I'll re-post the specifics below. For others who might be in the same situation, here's what to do:

Use some audio software, such as wavosaur, to convert your .wav files to
22.050Khz – Mono. Make sure that you name your files correctly. Here's the file naming convention (from the ADDAC system site):

1. all files must have consecutive file names in this order:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

2.When all these 36 characters are used, repeat the order doubling the character:
AA, BB, CC, DD, EE, FF …

The file termination must be .WAV

example:
a.wav
b.wav
c.wav
…
z.wav
0.wav
1.wav
2.wav
…
9.wav
aa.wav
bb.wav
cc.wav
…
zz.wav
00.wav
11.wav
22.wav
33.wav
opsysbug
...and also. If on a Mac use the "secret cleaner" app to eject the card.
otherwise you will still get the error.
porphyrion
Sorry to resurrect this thread -I really did go through 7 or 8 old threads- but I can't find any good current solutions to dealing with the samples and naming for the ADDAC111 I recently acquired. Many of the links I found in the old threads referring to software are dead.

I've found a 512mb micro-sd-card, and I assume it's FAT16 by default (Windows 10 'properties' doesn't give me any additional info besides it being 'FAT'). How can I know for sure? the ADDAC111's error-led is a constant!

Have you guys found any streamlined ways of dealing with the archaic names and the mandatory mono 16-bit 22050khz wav-files? Is there free software better than 'Audacity'? How do you keep track of which sample is where? 'A', 'B'... How to know which is a snare or an organ without having to click your way through all of them?

--- Is anybody still using their ADDAC101/111? Hope so! I'm starting to feel I should've just gotten a TipTop One after spending a few hours trying to format mediocre wav-files to no avail... To think I went modular to get away from the pc...

Dead Banana

-Any hints or insight much appreciated!!

maise wrote:
look here:
ersatzplanet
porphyrion wrote:
Sorry to resurrect this thread -I really did go through 7 or 8 old threads- but I can't find any good current solutions to dealing with the samples and naming for the ADDAC111 I recently acquired. Many of the links I found in the old threads referring to software are dead.

I've found a 512mb micro-sd-card, and I assume it's FAT16 by default (Windows 10 'properties' doesn't give me any additional info besides it being 'FAT'). How can I know for sure? the ADDAC111's error-led is a constant!

Have you guys found any streamlined ways of dealing with the archaic names and the mandatory mono 16-bit 22050khz wav-files? Is there free software better than 'Audacity'? How do you keep track of which sample is where? 'A', 'B'... How to know which is a snare or an organ without having to click your way through all of them?

--- Is anybody still using their ADDAC101/111? Hope so! I'm starting to feel I should've just gotten a TipTop One after spending a few hours trying to format mediocre wav-files to no avail... To think I went modular to get away from the pc...

Dead Banana

-Any hints or insight much appreciated!!

maise wrote:
look here:

I have a couple of the ADDAC101's and use a "cleaner" program that removes the extra files that OS X ads to the folders that the module doesn't like. Apparently Windows does this too. From their page -

Cleaning cards in WIN 8

It has been reported that Win 8 now leaves some undesired files on SD Cards which will trigger the Error led at all times.
A user reported that the way to get rid of it is to run cmd.exe from the start menu and then enter "RmDir /s /q "e:\System Volume Information" at the prompt.

also from their page - Please use SD Formatter App (WIN / OSX):
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

As for the file naming convention, they used to offer a program that would automatically rename all the files in a folder to the "a" to "xx" naming format. It was a OS X app and I use it also but can't seem to find it on the site anymore.

I own 3 different WAV player modules (Nebulae, ADDAC101, and WaveTrigger) and all of them use different file formats and naming conventions. It is a real drag. Another one of hangups with the ADDAC101 is that file "b.wave"must be less than 500k in size. Oh, and the SD card must be less than 2GB in size.

Good luck!
porphyrion
James, you made my day!
Your info really helps!! For instance, I assumed only Mac OS left these extra files. And the small sample I was going to use for 'B.wav' ended up as 'E.wav' somehow so I didn't stand a chance. But I'm gonna give it another shot- thanks so much!!

Euro-sampler-users *really* have make every byte of every sample count, otherwise it's just unworkable. Feels like manually splicing magnetic tape ala Pierre Schaeffer circa 1953. The simplicity of something like the Ladik 333 starts making a lot of sense all of a sudden-
ersatzplanet
porphyrion wrote:
James, you made my day!
Your info really helps!! For instance, I assumed only Mac OS left these extra files. And the small sample I was going to use for 'B.wav' ended up as 'E.wav' somehow so I didn't stand a chance. But I'm gonna give it another shot- thanks so much!!

Euro-sampler-users *really* have make every byte of every sample count, otherwise it's just unworkable. Feels like manually splicing magnetic tape ala Pierre Schaeffer circa 1953. The simplicity of something like the Ladik 333 starts making a lot of sense all of a sudden-

One of the hangups on one of my wave players is that it needs files with no meta data tags and almost every wav editing program out there defaults to putting in tags saying the file was edited by their program etc. I have to do a separate pass though an editor just to remove that stuff. A real pain. I wish they all would just use some similar format or no format requirements at all but I guess that is too much to ask.
jc23
many thanks ersatzplanet, that cmd line trick has stopped me pulling my hair out due to card errors, ta.
ersatzplanet
I have recently gotten more Wav players in my rig. Now I have 6 of them, two Nebulae, two ADDAC101's, and two DIY WaveTrigger ones. I guess it is officially an obsession. I have dropped my standard VCO count down to 3 (you need something to MAKE the wave files with!) and just ordered a ADDAC Mel9 module. I have to say though, I still have a lust for the OD ER-301 and it just doesn't make much sense with what I already have. These players just grow on you, you can make some intense sounds with less modules. I had to add a couple more PGM-4X4s (now 4) to my personal rig to control the new additions!
Paranormal Patroler
I'd love to see a video of you rockin' out with wav players. Since I do all the CV-to-MIDI stuff with the 221, 222 combo I think I might work with a standalone sampler in the future instead.
ersatzplanet
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'd love to see a video of you rockin' out with wav players. Since I do all the CV-to-MIDI stuff with the 221, 222 combo I think I might work with a standalone sampler in the future instead.

There are definitely some restrictions with the wave players that sit in a eurorack. They each have their own pros and cons and are often quite different from each other. The Nebulae are great for really changing the sample into other things and it can do nice stuff like playing things back at different speeds without changing the pitch (good for bass and drum parts) but is is sometimes a hassle to get it to play a sample back directly with no changes. The ADDAC101 is better for that and has nice switches that disconnect the CV ins so you can change the sample a bunch and then with a switch flick, get it back to the original. The WaveTrigger modules I made are basically used like Ableton live in a modular form. The way I have them configured, they are simply playing tracks back with no modification. I use them for background ambience (forest, city soundscapes etc.) but if you wanted you could trigger whole tracks from them.

To me Wave players have become complex wavetable oscillators for me. I use the whole rig to make a sound and then play it back on the wav players and use the rig to modify it in real time. An external sampler driven by a CV>MIDI converter would probably be much more powerful a rig. More controllable and more stable and probably sound better with more hardware to throw into computing power and converters.

For me the holy grail is the OD ER-301. I would probably sell all my current Wav modules if I ever got one of those. I have never played one in the flesh, but they seem to be the best of both worlds - a full featured sampler/player that does all the slice and dice, has a great display, and is fully CV controllable plus having multi-channel outputs. I have been thinking about selling my Nord G1 to get one but still thinking about it (I really like the Nord).
jc23
i'd kill, KILL!!! for one of those er-301's!

and more than likely i could do most it can do with the octatrack. if the manual was a bit more understandable!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 1