MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jaycar quality slide
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Jaycar quality slide
Adam-V
Is it just me or has the quality of the components that Jaycar are selling slipped a little over the last year or so.

I notice a year or so ago that the metal 3.5mm plugs they sell were all bent out of shape and looked to me to be factory seconds.

Recently the 3.5mm jacks switching jacks they're stocking have dodgy, almost non-existent slots in the ring nuts meaning they can't be done up tighly.

More recently it seems that they switched their the metal film resistor supplier and they look really dodgy. The leads are half the thickness they used to be and are soft and dull rather than shiny and stiff like they used to be. I'm really concerned about this as I tried to match some of these for my CV clusters and out of the 80 or so I could only find 2 that were even close. The older ones I managed to easily find the 10 I needed. Has anybosy else used the new metal film resistors from Jaycar? Are they really metal film? Am I just being paranoid?

Cheers,
Adam-V
Luka
What are you doing shopping at Jaycar Adam!!

Mouser ships to Australia for free if you spend more than $200
& Rockby is next goto on my list. In fact if you go pick up from Rockby you can goto Altronics, Jaycar in the same 2 minutes as they are all in the same section on Clayton.

But i hear you. I used to goto Jaycar for resistors when i needed close matches. Sad to hear the new ones are not as high quality.

The only thing they have which i wished others would stock is tinned wire.
Luka
btw if you wanna do group purchases from mouser let me know
gwaidan
Sounds like they're getting the same el-cheapo MF resistors that Futurlec switched to (the ones with iron leads rather than copper)

I only now buy from Jaycar rarely-Farnell Australia/element 14 has free overnight dispatch for orders over $10, their prices are much better than they used to be, and you know where the products are sourced from.
terrafractyl
Thats odd, Literally last week I matched a bunch of metal film resistors (from jaycar) for a CGS CV cluster and I think only one didnt make the cut..

I've definitely noticed how bad the metal 3.5mm jacks are, but thought they were always that bad? at least for the past year which is as long as I've been doing DIY stuff.
I've increasingly I've been doing online orders from farnell (now element 14), its always here the next day 8_) but its just so convenient to pick up a bunch of stuff up at jaycar in the CBD on my way home from work or something.

edit: Most of the resistors I've got from jaycar are the Soanar brand... Same ones?
stk
As Mr Perry of Frostwave once imparted upon me:
"Jaycar are cunts, don't give em your money!"

..Although it is tough on a Sunday afternoon when nothing else is open seriously, i just don't get it

Regarding Soanar I believe most of Jaycar's stock is through them (I had a few discussions with a Soanar rep a while back regarding sourcing Schoff/Euro subracks, tried to convince him they'd sell if Jaycar stocked them..)
gwaidan
stk wrote:

Regarding Soanar I believe most of Jaycar's stock is through them (I had a few discussions with a Soanar rep a while back regarding sourcing Schoff/Euro subracks, tried to convince him they'd sell if Jaycar stocked them..)

It's quite entertaining putting Jaycar item numbers into the Soanarplus website and seeing the exact same product come up for sale at a fair discount...
andrewF
don't forget RS components, massive range &
free delivery by courier for aussies - no minimum order restriction

not always cheap, but bargains can be had, I recently bought TL072 for 25c each from them.

btw - i always lol at how active aussies are on this forum every monday morning......get back to work slack bastards razz
Luka
melbourne cup long weekend here in victoria
tho i admin im at work cry
stk
Luka wrote:
melbourne cup long weekend here in victoria
tho i admin im at work cry

woah That's surely unAustralian! It is teh Aussie way to slack off work at every opportunity! Dead Banana
andrewF
you should be drunk on champers and wearing a silly hat w00t
Luka
actually that is my job razz
stk
andrewF wrote:
you should be drunk on champers and wearing a silly hat w00t

And rolling around in the mud with a hoard of slappers!
Adam-V
So it was terrafractyl that took all of the good resistor stock from Jaycar!

I've ordered some resistors from Wiltronics to see what they are like.
Thans for the tip-off on RS. They used to be the most expensive place and never used to deal with you unless you were a company which I is why I never even geve them a thought.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Adam-V
Well the resistors I received from Wiltronics are good quality ones so it looks like they're the go for me from now on.

Just check out RS, boy have they dropped their prices! They've got TL072s at 51c each - Jaycar have them at $2.75 each. Oh, and free shipping too!

Cheers,
Adam-V
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1