MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bugbrand Modular - Fine tune, CV Pitch control
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Bugbrand Modular - Fine tune, CV Pitch control
Arlaharen
Hi,
I'm not sure wether I should buy a Bugbrand Modular or not, depending on my needs. I want to use the modular together with other instruments, so I would like to be able to fine tune the VCO:s and use a MIDI keyboard. Is that possible?
I guess the best thing would be to have a A440 signal and then fine tune the VCO to that?
As for CV/MIDI-control would the best option be a Blacet 2910?
http://www.blacet.com/MIDI2910.html
rezzn8r
Arlaharen wrote:
As for CV/MIDI-control would the best option be a Blacet 2910?
http://www.blacet.com/MIDI2910.html

The Blacet 2910 is pretty good, but some might suggest this functionality is better outside of the modular realm. Something like a Kenton.

I use a chromatic guitar tuner to tune my VCOs, but using a reference tone works fine, too.

The BugBrand stuff is fantastic, BTW.
dan_p
BugBrand rocks, great sounding well thought out modules. Fine tune can be tricky on the Osc's as there is no fine tune pot, but not impossible, and thinking about it not that hard at all realy. Best to use a guitar tuner for this, unless you have a silly scope kicking around.
The Blacet interface you are looking at may be too deep to fit in the bug racks. Most people tend to use a standalone Kenton midi converter, they are apparrently the best. I do not use midi myself as i'm way too 'ard! But I'm sure someone will offer some advice on what kenton to get.

There are a few demos of BugBrand kicking around to give you an idea of the sound. I have had a Euro system, I have a small Serge system and the BugBrand system is my favourite.
opsysbug
...and actually "buying" a Bugbrand modular is sometimes not
so easy...
dan_p
opsysbug wrote:
so easy...

Very true

But getting easier
BugBrand
Largely leaving aside availability let's make some points::

[I've currently got no immediate plans to open up to any further system customers. Basically, since announcing the systems at the start of 2009 I've just been keeping a mailing list (no order/priority) of people interested in future availability. Joining this list, via the website, is the best way to stay informed on progress/availability]

I've just realised that the website still has the original SYN2As listed, rather than the current version which is renamed 'Utility VCO' and is a little bit different.

These single-width oscillators are aimed more at providing compact power than being perhaps traditionally patched VCOs - I have been meaning to produce a 2width version for ages, something that'd include a fine tune control, would have improved focus on tracking (the current SYN2A tracks accurately over around 4 octaves) and further features.

I have used the SYN2As with Midi-to-CV (using a PAIA one) and it can be fun, but my focus has never really been on making keyboard driven setups - I'm much more about patched setups where the whole system becomes the tactile and responsive instrument.

Though - you can also 'create' a fine tune control by patching a DC voltage into the FM input and adjusting its depth control to a low value.

I did actually get a Blacet MIDI to CV - looks really great due to the inclusion of the clocking sections. BUT! Yes, it is too deep for my frames. I stupidly tried to chop it down to size to fit it in, but managed to screw something up..

Hope that helps a bit!
Tom
Arlaharen
rezzn8r wrote:

The Blacet 2910 is pretty good, but some might suggest this functionality is better outside of the modular realm. Something like a Kenton.

I use a chromatic guitar tuner to tune my VCOs, but using a reference tone works fine, too.

The BugBrand stuff is fantastic, BTW.

A chromatic guitar tuner, of course!
Nice and simple.

dan_p wrote:
Most people tend to use a standalone Kenton midi converter, they are apparrently the best..

How about a Kenton Pro Solo?

Bugbrand wrote:

I've just realised that the website still has the original SYN2As listed, rather than the current version which is renamed 'Utility VCO' and is a little bit different.

These single-width oscillators are aimed more at providing compact power than being perhaps traditionally patched VCOs - I have been meaning to produce a 2width version for ages, something that'd include a fine tune control, would have improved focus on tracking (the current SYN2A tracks accurately over around 4 octaves) and further features.

Fine tune control would be very nice.

opsysbug wrote:
so easy...

So I've noticed :(
radams
Arlaharen - I have a small system with 2 SYN2A's - just got a Kenton USB Midi to Cv - works great - no problem tuning the vco's - I've been using a sine tone from Oerator in Ableton Live to tune to - the VCO's are easy to tune and they sound fantastic
Arlaharen
radams wrote:
Arlaharen - I have a small system with 2 SYN2A's - just got a Kenton USB Midi to Cv - works great - no problem tuning the vco's - I've been using a sine tone from Oerator in Ableton Live to tune to - the VCO's are easy to tune and they sound fantastic

Thanks Radams!
More or less what I wanted to hear.
Did you send theese patches?
http://bugbrand.blogspot.com/2010/07/bugtester-audio-from-radams.html
Very nice indeed!
If they are yours, what is your setup? Which modules have you got?

Now it's just the small matter of becoming one of the selected few...
Would it help if I made an offering to some wyrd entity?
dan_p
Arlaharen wrote:

Now it's just the small matter of becoming one of the selected few...
Would it help if I made an offering to some wyrd entity?

You realy don't want to know what you have to do to get a system. It still sickens me, the depravity. I cant even look at myself in the mirror anymore, i just feel so wronged................
radams
Arlaharen - the system I have is as follows CTL2 - 2x SYN2A's - CLK2A- DD1 (balanced modulator , low pass gate ) - PRC3A SV Filter- UTL2 - and that's it for now - the Bug Tester patches were made with those modules - the CTL2 was used very little on those particular patches - see ya soon
Arlaharen
radams wrote:
Arlaharen - the system I have is as follows CTL2 - 2x SYN2A's - CLK2A- DD1 (balanced modulator , low pass gate ) - PRC3A SV Filter- UTL2 - and that's it for now - the Bug Tester patches were made with those modules - the CTL2 was used very little on those particular patches - see ya soon

Thanks för sharing!
emergencyofstate
I've been using MIDI to CV via Slient Way in Ableton Live. I have a MOTU 828 which can speak nicely to my bugbrand modular. 8_)
Arlaharen
emergencyofstate wrote:
I've been using MIDI to CV via Slient Way in Ableton Live. I have a MOTU 828 which can speak nicely on my bugbrand modular.

I might just try that!
I have a MOTU Traveler (which suffers from bad preamps, an error that is not uncommon it seems angry)
BugBrand
Silent Way is highly recommended - great value, great support, great features! os (who's got a forum here) is someone to support because he is great at listening to what people want and brings out good updates regularly. Also thrashes the price-pants off volta (the Motu version)

Shamefully I've never had time to try it out much though I did get VCOs tuning nice and easy it (though for Motu828 MK1 I tended to neeed to amplify things due to the low output voltage)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1