WMD Geiger Counter

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

WMD Geiger Counter

Post by dkcg » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:57 pm

Anyone have one? any tips or tricks? I just got one, the wavetables are awesome, like a wavetable bitcrusher. Awesome for waveshaping pre-filters. :D
No recordings yet. Maybe it didn't happen.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:33 am

This thing looks wicked. Sound clips please. :sb:

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:35 pm

I'll try to get some samples up this week.
CV takes 0-> +5 volts too. :D

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:48 am

http://www.virb.com/ibdk

The track is DSF_0095.

it'a the only track there. First half is the 888 with some modular chirps and blips. The kick from the 888 is played directly through the Geiger Counter. A second kick from the MBase01 doubles the kick being crushed.

Most the the first half I'm flipping through the waveforms, occationally turning the bits and sampling way down, you can kinda tell, the bits gets squarewave sounds, and the sampling makes it sound like an atari swoosh.

The tone mode makes it kinda quiet and i think it's a lowpass bandpass or something.

It will take 0 to +5 volts for CV which can control bits or sampling or both. Negative voltages seem to be clipped to 0, i think...

This sucks because this was supposed to be a youtube video. I thought I hit record, but I guess I put it in pause instead. :doh:

The main timing of the modular is sequenced by the 888, but the quicker syncopated triplet type notes are the Model 17 Triple timer making new timing for a Model 10 that's modulating a filter and controlling a VCA. A Model 9 mixer was used as an attenuator too, the rest is cwejman. :)

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:38 am

No matter how many times I've tried to wrap my pea-brain around this thing, I just don't really know what it is or does. It's a pre-amp with a Malgorithm-type thing after it? But it uses Wavetables instead of fully variable controls?

OMG-WTF-BBQ?

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:03 am

The MiniWave is also capable of destructo distortion and even some bit crushing depending on the ROM.
My initial impression of the pedal is preamp + MiniWave in a convenient format for non-modular users.

I'll have to try that combo out on guitar as a matter of fact.

I was just trying the Blacet I/O + STG WaveFolder on guitar today,
with the envelope follower modulating the gain and/or the offset.
Wavefolders are awesome and incredibly dynamic as guitar distortions.
The Metasonix TS-21 is great for that too.

To get back on topic, I'll post some guitar sounds soon so you can hear what I mean, and I'll try the MiniWave thing while I'm at it.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:43 am

That would be super-awesome as I've got the MW already & have been thinking about pre-amps for modulars as of late.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:37 pm

i'm on the verge of finally having a guitar and i'm deadset on running it through the modular.

the MW for distortion is fuckin unruly. i love that shit :love:

used it on my turntable a few times.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:44 pm

First time I saw the WMD I thought "ooh TurboSynth in a box", which is also what I said about the MW when I learned it could do distortion/waveshaping. I used to love using TurboSynth on guitars (MetaSynth's waveshaper is good for that as well), so I'm happy I can do it all in realtime and hardware with the modular.

The Frostwave Sonic Alienator can also do some waveshaping type stuff, even though it's more known for doing bit/sample rate crushing. And of course the Crowther Prunes & Custard.

WMD is on my list though... All these pedals make it easier to recreate some of my studio guitar tones live. And without tying up the modular - I like running guitar through it, but I don't want it to be a big guitar pedal board either.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:17 pm

parasitk wrote:And without tying up the modular - I like running guitar through it, but I don't want it to be a big guitar pedal board either.
But see that’s the beauty of the modular. You could process your guitar through it and still have plenty of other modules free for crazy synth fuckery.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:21 pm

Kent wrote:No matter how many times I've tried to wrap my pea-brain around this thing, I just don't really know what it is or does. It's a pre-amp with a Malgorithm-type thing after it? But it uses Wavetables instead of fully variable controls?

OMG-WTF-BBQ?
It feels like it's a bit crusher with a miniwave right before it. I wouldn't call it a preamp, but it has a gain and a master levels. The gain feels like it generates an envelope when down low, but that might be the wavetable kicking in. I'm still figuring it out, there's actually quite a bit of control in that the wavetable selection knob also changes modes on the bits and sampling.

I think there's a pdf with the waveforms on the pedal's webpage. And the creator (I forget his last name right now) is super quick with questions.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Kwote wrote:But see that’s the beauty of the modular. You could process your guitar through it and still have plenty of other modules free for crazy synth fuckery.
Except that I use my Wave Folder and MiniWave in just about every patch!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:35 pm

parasitk wrote:
Kwote wrote:But see that’s the beauty of the modular. You could process your guitar through it and still have plenty of other modules free for crazy synth fuckery.
Except that I use my Wave Folder and MiniWave in just about every patch!
we both know the answer to this one. get another Wave Folder and Mini Wave. :)
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:54 pm

Hahaha, totally! Or another two of each, you know, so I can do the modular in stereo...

insomniyack
Wiggling with Experience

Post by insomniyack » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:35 am

Just picked up a Geiger Counter from Analogue Haven and WOW...

This is just like getting a new synth! Even without any input you can get alot of scratchy random sounds out of it...I have it going into a Lexicon reverb and the result is amazing! There's so many different tones and variations on it that makes it so much more than an effects pedal!

I HIGHLY recommend picking this up if you're in the market for a noise synth! It sounds alive!! Built like a tank too!

insomniyack
Wiggling with Experience

Post by insomniyack » Fri May 01, 2009 9:30 am

Here's a few minutes of tweaking it with NO AUDIO INPUT...

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”