MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MiniWave Trix: Voltage Quantizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author MiniWave Trix: Voltage Quantizer
Muff Wiggler
How to use the MiniWave as a quantizer -

put the miniwave in 10v mode

send anything at all into the input (white noise, pitched voltage you want to change the key of, sample & hold whatever, etc etc)

choose bank 15 of the stock MiniWave ROM. This is the small quantizer bank that comes with the MiniWave.

the different 'waves' in bank 15 will quantize your input voltage to different scales -

Wave 9 - Pentatonic 5 notes/oct
Wave 10 - C Major Chord (3 notes/oct)
Wave 11 - A Minor Chord (3 notes/oct)
Wave 12 - G Major Chord (3 notes/oct)

Etc. Consult the MiniWave manual pg.3 for the full list.

anyway, whatever's coming into the input gets transposed to the closest note in the selected scale, so if you had noise coming in, you would get a random pattern of pitches all in tune, etc.

the output of the miniwave will be sending v/Oct CV for the quantized notes

so your typical patch using the quantizer is:

noise-->miniwave--->VCO

instead of VCO you could also use a self-oscillating filter that tracks v/Oct and you would get pitched sine waves in the selected key of from it, or use any other module that tracks v/Oct

if you have the quantizer ROM, you will have a 'bank' for every key, and then within each key, changing 'wave' within the bank changes the mode of the scale that is used, a set of 16 modalities. plus there's a couple of extra banks left over that the designer used for some cool little goodies

anyway that's how you use the MW as a quantizer. again make sure the MW is in the 10v mode, not 5v, for this to work
Muff Wiggler
updated with the correct ROM addresses
zerosum
Awsome!!
I'll do this tonight.
There are lots of choices of what to feed the miniwave, then I'll use the trusty resonator for a sine VCO.
grin DOOM grin
Muff Wiggler
nice, lemme know how that works out, i've heard so many good things about that resonator
zerosum
Okay, in paper it makes perfect sense.
My results didnt work and Im puzzled why??

For a noise source I kicked the VFM into chaos mode and put the TorN's Peaker into oscilation mode.
So its VFM>TP>Miniwave in.
Miniwave out to resonator LP CV.
Miniwave is set to +10 v.
miniwave rom A wave 9-15 bank 15.
But no dice.

Hmmmm....

I feel really funny, because I think I have tried this before, but cant figure out what Im not doing...

Sure doesnt sound difficult
lol
I'll try again tonight.
Muff Wiggler
the combined voltage out of the TP is probably 'noise' around 1v

the MW is expecting 5-10v

it's probably quantizing everything to one note, because it 'sees' such a small range

you need to boost hard anything you connect to a modular synth that isn't also part of 10v modular spec gear wink
Muff Wiggler
hey

quantize the output of your Binary Zone, that's one of the dead obvious applications. set the BZ clock to something pretty slow

much better idea, it's at the proper signal level. glad i remembered that you had that
zerosum
hehehehe I get it now...
I need a Noise Ring lol
A quad mix or input processor would do the trick wink

I'll experiement with the TM-7...Hmmmmm... Im not sure if that is going to spit out anymore is it?
zerosum
If I can slow down the psycho so its less psycho then i could get something..
I have done that before and end up with funny screwy nutty nuthouse loony bin sequences lol
zerosum
Muff Wiggler wrote:
hey

quantize the output of your Binary Zone, that's one of the dead obvious applications. set the BZ clock to something pretty slow

much better idea, it's at the proper signal level. glad i remembered that you had that

bingo
zerosum
ok its making sense, Im going to do that in a few minutes..
Im listening to "borg VCA + MW quantizer"
felix
Oh you guys...

I totally need a frac rack just for the MW, NoiseRing and BZ.

I also have become quite in love with the Woggle Bug although have very little interest in pondering a 3rd modular form factor. Did they ever make the Woggle Bug in frac rack format?

ps. Sorry for steering the thread off track.
zerosum
Quote:
Oh you guys...

I totally need a frac rack just for the MW, NoiseRing and BZ.

grin Yup lol
The mini is also an amazing fuzzbox!
Quote:
Did they ever make the Woggle Bug in frac rack format?

I dont think so :(

But when you do get a miniwave it will be totally worth it, There is a lot it can do :shock:
J.w.M.
Not sure if this is the same Woggle Bug, but here's a DIY 'Woggle Bug.' Sounds pretty cool, anyway.

http://www.doctort.org/adam/general/synth-in-a-box.html

The MW is a Fuzzbox also? Geez. Is there anything it can't do? I'd love to hear what it sounds like as a fuzz.
zerosum
Quote:
The MW is a Fuzzbox also? Geez. Is there anything it can't do? I'd love to hear what it sounds like as a fuzz.

Ask and you shall receive 8)
There is a TBD before it, but the MW is doing most of the mangling

I have more of these around here somewhere... :idea: hehehehe
I think most are still sitting on the DAW, I have a lot of stuff to upload when I figure out the best way to present it, and what to show.

This one here is the ER-1 mangled by the miniwave with mild TM-7 at the end
consumed
one thing i've really liked to do: follow all muff's steps for MW in quantizer mode"....then switch the bank to something entirely different and try out different waves (non-bank 15). your notes will get kinda whacked out and sometimes they warble in cool ways. ive had a lot of fun doing this.
Muff Wiggler
great stuff zero! thanks for the demos

i'm going to try really hard this weekend to do some really 'pro' MW demos, with voiceover and everything to explain what I'm doing, there's a whole lot of cool functions and applications I'd like to show off, and I got some good ideas from listning to zero's demos last night

hopefully in the next few days
kryptic
felix wrote:
I also have become quite in love with the Woggle Bug although have very little interest in pondering a 3rd modular form factor. Did they ever make the Woggle Bug in frac rack format?

Sorry for the OT, but I thought this would be of interest to you guys. There is currently a group buy going on for a professionally manufactured PCB for the Wogglebug #3 design. So, you can build one yourself in the frac format, which is what I plan to do. The 50 board orders are already in, but since there is so much interest I think he is actually bumping the buy up to 100 boards. (The first 50 boards were reserved within the first 24 hours, so it would be a good idea to get in now if you are interested or you could miss out)

http://www.modularsynth.net/viewtopic.php?t=743
Muff Wiggler
i'm getting a Wiard 300 Wogglebug in a couple months (along with an Omni Filter), which is an evolution of the Standard #3 bug, so I'm skipping this buy - however anyone who isn't going Wiard 300 should REALLY consider this!
felix
Wow, that sounds absolutely killer on drums!
J.w.M.
Wow. Just hearing that MW demo on the drums gives me goosebumps. That's some really good fuzz. Thanks for the demos. I have to say-- I wasn't expecting such beefy sound of the the MW (when acting as a fuzz). I keep seeing more and more why that module alone can be enough to get people into frac.
zerosum
Quote:
I keep seeing more and more why that module alone can be enough to get people into frac.

Thats the reason I decided I must start a modular actually, that was priority number 1 grin
They do have the miniwave available in modcan and MOTM format as well.

Thanks for listening everyone 8)
I have tons more to show eventually.

Here is another example of the miniwave fuzzing out:
Guitar-Boss OC-2 Octave-miniwave-resonator
This time all the fuzz you hear is 100% from the Miniwave, bank 15 wave 7 eprom B.
It also has a sequence to the resonator which is fun playing guitar and having the sequence animate the filter, theres also tons of those I need to finish working on.

I think I have more MW samples in the modular log thread, there are more around here somewhere with the Pro One into the MW,etc
apemandan
Just got the Mini wave and extra scale quantizer ROM!! 8)

Is there a list of the different modes for the quantizer ROM anywhere??

Dan
parasitk
apemandan wrote:

Nice timing, I've been wondering the same thing!
Norman_Phay
The chord scales are useful, I find. Using the octaves table, number 15 is an easy way to tune your oscs before selecting the chord table you want. You might have to do a little bit of transposition to get the exact chord you want.

Handiest thing I find, especially when using the chord tables, is to stick an attenuator, like the one in tha Blacet mult/att, before the quantiser input, this is especially useful if you're using something like the noise ring, which has a very wide-ranging output. It's good to be able to scale it down a bit. I keep meaning to pick up a blacet mixer/processor so I can scale and offset the input voltage - anything below 0v, the miniwave just reads as 0, so when you feed the output of a Blacet binary zone, it's pointless setting the knobs below zero.
Kwote
apemandan wrote:
Just got the Mini wave and extra scale quantizer ROM!! 8)

Dan

this is the closest you'll find but now that you mention it i should probably hit up David Hylander about this. anyway,

"Turn your Miniwave into a flexible scale quantizer. Classical modes, melodic & harmonic minors, major/minor pentatonics, Lydian b7, Phrygian n3 in every key. Simply page to another bank to transpose a static melodic pattern to another key. Page to another 'wave' for modal transposition. Also includes all whole tone scales, chromatic quantitization and several banks of walking melodic patterns relative to the key of C aeolian. How is this possible? Some say I employed a group of ancient Chinese virgins to painstakingly enter each of the 65536 values in this ROM and several went blind in the process. I hope you all appreciate their sacrifices"

not really a proper list and i'm assuming you've seen it already before purchasing the ROM.

PS:

Drugs
Kwote
Norman_Phay wrote:
Handiest thing I find, especially when using the chord tables, is to stick an attenuator, like the one in tha Blacet mult/att, before the quantiser input, this is especially useful if you're using something like the noise ring, which has a very wide-ranging output. It's good to be able to scale it down a bit.

totally agreed. the video i just posted is prior to me realizing this. however i did have an attenuator after the MW/prior to the VCO. while this basically achieves similar results i found your way a bit more effective.
parasitk
Is there a proper list though? Somewhere?
Kwote
parasitk wrote:
Is there a proper list though? Somewhere?

i'm gonna write David right now. i'll post back if he gives me a list.
Muff Wiggler
hey i've been insanely busy the last few weeks and not around the forum, i owe tons of you guys PM replies and the like, will catch up over the next few days/by the end of the weekend

but I happened to catch this thread so here ya go...
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
hey i've been insanely busy the last few weeks and not around the forum, i owe tons of you guys PM replies and the like, will catch up over the next few days/by the end of the weekend

awesome muff. you da gweatest! now i just have to learn music theory d'oh!

goddamn yous!! angry
Muff Wiggler
start with 'the circle of fifths', helps things make sense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths

plord
Muff Wiggler wrote:

Once you have that, dig this circle of fifths trick (it's more obvious/easy to figure out on guitar): take any major tonality, say, C major, CGE, and draw the triangle on the circle of fifths. Now mirror image that triangle over to the other side of the circle and you get F, Ab, C, which gives you the key of Fm. Got that? That "inverse" key is your trivial, obvious, easily accessible "out" tonality. Mixing Fm tones into C major improvising gives you a tension that works musically and will break you out of that whole "my 8 note sequence sounds lame, yo" trap.

Implementing that improvisational structure in your modular is left as an exercise smile

ObAttribution: I stole this idea from Steve Kimock, who does it on stage every night.
parasitk
Muff Wiggler wrote:

Perfect, thank you.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:

what kind of satanic pentagram is that? eek!

ps: thanks!!
Kwote
plord wrote:

Once you have that, dig this circle of fifths trick (it's more obvious/easy to figure out on guitar): take any major tonality, say, C major, CGE, and draw the triangle on the circle of fifths. Now mirror image that triangle over to the other side of the circle and you get F, Ab, C, which gives you the key of Fm. Got that? That "inverse" key is your trivial, obvious, easily accessible "out" tonality. Mixing Fm tones into C major improvising gives you a tension that works musically and will break you out of that whole "my 8 note sequence sounds lame, yo" trap.

Implementing that improvisational structure in your modular is left as an exercise smile

ObAttribution: I stole this idea from Steve Kimock, who does it on stage every night.

thanks plord. you're the gweatest. now all i have to do is get an electric guitar. Goddamn yous!! angry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 2