Some Recordings

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Some Recordings

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:00 am

Ok so tonight as I'm still feeling my way around these new Wiard modules, I actually hit 'record' for a change, so there's a few little demos here

First, this one is cool. I have a hard time coming up with ideas usually, so I've been trying to build a synth that basically plays itself. Of course it can't patch it's own cables, but I want to do as little as I can and have the modules influence each other as much as I can. To this end I have a lot of random voltage generator and S&H sort of modules in my system.

anyway, i swear the Wiard Noise Ring and the JAG are made for each other. If you feed a JAG with the output of two Noise Rings, the JAG rewards you with 10 random trigger pulse outputs. bananas. So that's what I've done here. The 10 JAG outputs are going to a few different places, but mostly where you are hearing them, is controlling the VCA effect of two different Borg 2 Filters (one is making that bass you hear) and 1 Boogie filter. The whole output mess is going through a boogie filter, and I'm playing with the cutoff and resonance

click here to get the mp3

ok the next one is showing off a little of using the borg filter as a vca. also you can 'hear' the MW Scale Quantizer ROM in this sample.... the pattern is going through the Quantizer, and at 0:31 in this clip I simply change to a different key by increasing the Bank number on the MiniWave. cool.

ok, this one shows again using the borg filter as a VCA, this time with a higher resonance. the borg is a vactrol based module, which is what accounts for the smooth and pleasing transition sounds from this module when used as a gate or vca

also in this clip i send the exponential voltage directly to the borg filter, so you can hear how it performs as a sine wave vco. that's the last part of the clip

ok, last one. just some goofy fun with the boogie filter taking a tuning voltage, you can hear it as pitched sine waves

Last edited by Muff Wiggler on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:07 am

:) :D :) :D 8) :) :!: :D

Downloading.....

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:19 am

Here we go...... :)
Starting with 2 noise rings feed a jag

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:22 am

heheh this is fun :lol:
I feel like Im at a circus watching a bunch of ponies on a carousel and bright lights getting dizzy...
hehe this is cool, I'll listen to the other 3 then finish posting in one post :lol:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:40 am

anyway, i swear the Wiard Noise Ring and the JAG are made for each other. If you feed a JAG with the output of two Noise Rings, the JAG rewards you with 10 random trigger pulse outputs. bananas.
Thats crazy....Definitly cool must haves!!!
Im loveing that clip.

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:11 am

Awesome stuff.
Some really cool sounds in the JAG demo... Sounds like a really useful tool. I'd love to get my hands on one at some point.

And the quantizer? Like I said over in the other thread, thanks for putting together a demo of that... The key change capability is really something else. It would be fun to use that in conjunction with some acid-esque sounds and really mess with the listeners' minds.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:23 pm

haha i finally got around to listening to some of the stuff on your site...i like that 3rd bit quite a bit, you can really hear the musical potential with your setup, goes beyond the normal (ie mine) setup...good stuff!

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Rad!!!

I think number 4 is my favorite! I used to think Sine waves were boring, but I've started to realize that they are very cool, both as a modulation sources as well as sound source (especially when they are modulated).

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:51 pm

felix wrote:Rad!!!

I think number 4 is my favorite! I used to think Sine waves were boring, but I've started to realize that they are very cool, both as a modulation sources as well as sound source (especially when they are modulated).
Hail the neverending power of Sine Waves!! 8)
Inspiring little wiggles they are!

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 pm

"2 Noise Rings Feed a Jag which triggers 10 different things including 2 Borg VCAs and 2 Boogie Filters" is most excellent, Mike. Those small resonant sounds that start around 1:20, especially the stretch around 2:00, very, very cool.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:20 pm

wow just re-listened to these, and i gotta say you really want to make sure you have monitors and a good sub for the first and the third one of these clips. haha like the vast majority of the third one is totally missing here on my laptop speakers :lol:

wow, thanks for bumping this thread shamann 8) somehow in all my travelling lately and my blackberry's unfortunate habit of refusing to render THIS FREAKIN' FORUM (yes of all sites on the internet, every one, they ALL work on my blackberry. just not my own damn forum. wtfbbqwtffff.), somehow i missed almost all these replies :?

anyway this is cool. thanks guys. you guys are awesome. especially shamann :oops: i'm stoked because he's got great taste in the exact sort of thing i like and try to to :shock: 8)

anyway thanks. i had actually forgotten about these clips, probably about the day after i posted them. just listened again and it's llike "huh, don't remember that. i did that?" :lol: i love it when that happens. but yeah pretty crappy demo vomitsound for the most part but i think there are some good bits, and i do think the first one has some good parts, and it's funny that you mentioned the bit around 2:00 because that's the only part i really care for. hmm if i wasn't lazy and i would edit it out and do something with it. but yeah that's the good part IMHO. it's funny that you mentioned that because that's the kinda thing i'm usually trying to get going with my synth, and honestly i really think that no-one on earth would think it was even worth listning to except for me. and even then i only like listning to it while the patch is up. i'm just at this very moment while typing this realizing how much i enjoy some strange feeling of impermanece when there's a large patch - a small brush of a knob could ruin the whole thing, and you could never get the same groove happening again. that's the thing with accidental/random/aleatorics, they are built like balancing a card house and a wrong move could throw ALL the interlinking of all your random elements into something that falls apart and cannot be reconstructed

but there's the impermanace of the patch, even if you don't touch a knob. the patch can't be captured in a recording, not the way it interacts and begs you to change a knob while threatening to get even cooler sounding or fall apart, not that feeling. it's flat once you record it. but, particularly with large patches, there's the impermance of all the cables, which you know must all be pulled at the end of the night, or before the next patch.

it all adds up to this feeling that you are hearing and experiencing something that you've never heard before, and something that you'll never hear again. it lives in this brief moment, just for you

but in a strange sense, you haven't created it. i don't feel that way... i am going on a rant now haha, but i originally intended to answer shamann's post and say 'thanks, wow, but i can't take credit for it. i simply connected the modules with wires and they played themselves.' but of course i set their knobs and made them interact at least to the point of having them approximate what in my mind i was hoping they would try to do. and sometimes they work for you and sometimes against you but you nor they ever work alone and that's why there's this ethereal impermance floating over this patch, they may not be in the same mood with you ever again in the future

and then there's the pure catharcism (is that a word?) of tearing apart this patch, destroying forever this moment that held you for a point in time. reduing it to nothingness. i won't speculate on why this creates such an emotional connection because if i do, i'll sound like an absolute quack.

thanks guys :oops:

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:02 pm

LOL at your last post Muff. I really gotta listen to these clips.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:19 pm

"and then there's the pure catharcism (is that a word?) of tearing apart this patch, destroying forever this moment that held you for a point in time. reduing it to nothingness."

Yep-- That's what modulars are all about. And that's why I've taken to recording nearly everything I do.

Well said!!!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”