MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New 5U Mixer Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Author New 5U Mixer Question
robotmakers
Oddly, my e-mails to Suit have gone unanswered, so I'm posting my question here. I'm interested in integrating the new STG 5U Mixer into a Moog system. From the website description, the unit seems calibrated to accept 10v p-p signals, providing a clean signal with unity gain with knobs at 2 o'clock and with distortion added past 3 o'clock. The 921B VCOs I have are supposed to output -4dbM or only 1.3 volts p-p.

Can the unit be calibrated (at the factory or on-site) to provide the desired characteristics (e.g. unity gain at some point on the dial and distortion above some other point) with the much lower Moog input levels?

Thanks very much,
Roger
Karl Jeffers
To my knowledge yes.
suitandtieguy
i'm sorry, i answered this question in email but forgot to answer here.

detail: http://pics.livejournal.com/suitandtieguy/pic/001057q6

there are two trimpots, "feedback" and "bias." "feedback" is the one that controls gain.
Karl Jeffers
Can this module work on a 12V switched power supply?
vasculator
Karl Jeffers wrote:
Can this module work on a 12V switched power supply?

that's what the .mix is for. same circuit with fewer ins i think.
bwhittington
I just received my STG mixer today. What an cool module. Its distortion is just right up my alley with how I am using my synth right now. It has a beautiful coloration and makes even really ordinary tones really sparkle. It should be called the Devanillizer. Someone needs to pop off a simple before/after demo of this one soon if there isn't one already. It has absolutely exceeded my expectation.

This one just seems like a great example of taking what appears to be a simple, classic circuit and filling a great niche in the 5U market. Really solid, Eric. Thanks for putting this one together.

Cheers,
Brian
suitandtieguy
thanks, Brian. i was wondering wether you had got it yet so decided to check the forum before i emailed you. i'm still recovering from a cold i've had since before christmas (cold from hell i guess) and i guess this just flew past.

the rest of them should be going out this week.
Jason Brock
bwhittington wrote:
Someone needs to pop off a simple before/after demo of this one soon if there isn't one already.

I nominate you! I'd love to hear an audio demo. Hell, I'm probably buying the Euro version anyway, but I'd still like a demo to keep me occupied while I wait for it.
Ranxerox
+1 on the demo.

Conscious that my Q112 sounds pretty meh, thinking of this as a possible upgrade. The extra channel would definitely be useful, too...
suitandtieguy
i've got to say i've never been more excited about an audio module as i am about this mixer.

Christopher Winkels
A copy of "Max Headroom" behind the modules. How fitting!
Ranxerox
Not sure which is more bizarre - that you own 'Silk Stalkings' on DVD or that you keep your DVDs in your synth cabinet (I won't say what I keep in mine) hihi
suitandtieguy
i own the first three seasons of Silk Stalkings on DVD. don't you?

i put them on one of my DVD shelves because it was a convenient place to photograph them. i also took a photo of them on my sofa but it didn't look as cool.

not that anyone cares, but the best set there is the Granada Sherlock Holmes series ... it is the definitive visual media presentation of the stories.
Ranxerox
suitandtieguy wrote:
not that anyone cares, but the best set there is the Granada Sherlock Holmes series ... it is the definitive visual media presentation of the stories.

Agreed, it's the one I watched on TV when I was a kid in New Zealand - "I'm afraid your jubilation is premature".

My wife watched the Polish-translated version of the same series when she was a kid - at the time she thought it was originally made in Soviet Russia.
analogsteve
Those modules look really good. Definitely on my "to buy" list.
robotmakers
Just received my STG mixer the other day. As advertised, it adds a totally new dimension to the synth. Really terrific addition - highly recommended!

Sincere thanks,
Roger
suitandtieguy
Thank you, Roger.

I guess you answered my question of "did i calibrate it OK for you?" haha.
JohnLRice
Those sure are beautiful mixers! love

One thing I don't understand completely is the difference on channels 4 and 5. . . let's say I have 5 identical VCOs and I run them all into all 5 inputs of the mixer. If I set the mixer level knobs all to the same position, will all 5 VCOs be heard at the same volume or will 4 and 5 each be offset by different amounts? hmmm.....
suitandtieguy
Same volume.

The last two are only normalled to +5 and -6. Inserting a cable breaks the connection.
JohnLRice
suitandtieguy wrote:
Same volume.

The last two are only normalled to +5 and -6. Inserting a cable breaks the connection.
d'oh! oops AHH! OK, I understand now! Thanks for the clarification! Module is now on my short list! thumbs up
brian_mcnett
Jason Brock wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
Someone needs to pop off a simple before/after demo of this one soon if there isn't one already.

I nominate you! I'd love to hear an audio demo. Hell, I'm probably buying the Euro version anyway, but I'd still like a demo to keep me occupied while I wait for it.

Since my Dot-Com modules arrived today as well as the firewire cable I needed to connect my audio interface to the nifty NEW mac mini, I'm in a position to run a simple comparison, or will be as soon as I get all 16 pounds of modules out of the box and mounted in the cabinet!
Christopher Winkels
Got mine tonight.

The way the mixer distorts a pair of triangle waves fed into it is worth the price of admission alone. I'm still scratching my head as to the applications of the negative kill switch and why everything seems to begin cleaning up at maximum gain, but that's more to do with my technical incompetence than anything else.

Bottom line: it sounds great.
bwhittington
Christopher Winkels wrote:
I'm still scratching my head as to the applications of the negative kill switch and why everything seems to begin cleaning up at maximum gain, but that's more to do with my technical incompetence than anything else.

The negative kill switch changes the output attenuator from bipolar to unipolar. Obviously, the negative output has CV applications, but it also has audio applications (varying distortion), which is described really well on the info page on the website.

The switch changes the pot's value at the 12 o'clock position from zero to basically "5" (or a midpoint value). Much like your recent post about the size of knobs in the Geiger Counter thread, engaging the negative kill basically creates an extended pot range, from 0 to 10, with finer control. That would make it my default position, unless I'm toying with mucking up a patch.

At least I think all that's right. razz

Cheers,
Brian
impaledfaith
i have only spent a few hours with the mixer and i have yet to use it for cv, but as an audio mixer/(processor?!) i find this to be a perfect if not essential module for my system!
i was IMMEDIATELY inspired by the character it added to everything that i stuck into it and the distortion is simply glorious! this will be my go to audio mixer from here out.

highly recommended and totally awesome!

we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Page 1 of 1