MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

"Safe" working limit for mA load on PS500A?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author "Safe" working limit for mA load on PS500A?
Sir Ruff
I've currently got one PS500 for 11 modules which total about 440mA in mA usage. I'm in the process of getting another PSU, but in the meantime have resorted to cutting out a few modules to avoid working my PS too hard.

I've read that one should keep fairly beneath max. capacity but would there be any short term damage if I were to have everything plugged in at once for short periods?
haricots
I don't know about damage but keep in mind the more jacks you use the more power is consumed ( I think anyway). The worst that will happen is some modules might start acting flakey.
Sir Ruff
haricots wrote:
I don't know about damage but keep in mind the more jacks you use the more power is consumed ( I think anyway). The worst that will happen is some modules might start acting flakey.

Ah, ok... I guess power drain is better than power overload!
Dragonslair
Generally, you want to stay under 80% capacity for normal use, but going higher for short spurts, is not going to hurt anything, just keep an eye on things, the main problem you will find at higher output levels is the heat buildup. A lot of transformers have a thermal fuse built into them, so if it gets to hot, the fuse will blow, and replacing it is a pain in the ass!
BugBrand
I've always understood that the Blacet is 'Very conservatively rated' (quoted off the website!) - ie if you pushed it it could supply more than 500mA each side but that'd be the point when you'd be taxing it.

Also note that it is 500mA per side rather than 500mA total.
zerosum
I think last I heard was don't exceed 550.
But that is going to vary depending on what is in your system, etc...

I'm right on the edge probably further than I should be at 515mA.
But I haven't had any problems that I know of yet hihi and this system stays powered on a LOT screaming goo yo
Sir Ruff
BugBrand wrote:
I've always understood that the Blacet is 'Very conservatively rated' (quoted off the website!) - ie if you pushed it it could supply more than 500mA each side but that'd be the point when you'd be taxing it.

Also note that it is 500mA per side rather than 500mA total.

Forgive the electronics ignorance, but by sides, do you mean the +/- draw?

Either way it sounds like I'm ok for the moment, though another PS is still needed for some yet to be moutned modules!
Cybananna
I was thinking that a general rule Of thumb is that 1 psu can power 2 Frac racks.
fracmonkey
When you design a power supply, you have to consider a lot of real world conditions such as local power voltage (Japan likes 100VAC---what does that do to your design?) and ambient operating temperature (100F in the shade is going to make the cooling of the regulators and transformer at lot harder than at 70F).

So, typically a good supply will be derated 25% or so to compensate for the above.

The regulators have a temperature cutoff circuit to avoid failure but things will get pretty damn hot before this happens.

I have 6 eacks and three PS; none of the cases are more than just a bit warm.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1