MUFF WIGGLER
you'll find what you're looking for, life's like that

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
RackPlanner 1.3
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author RackPlanner 1.3
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: RackPlanner 1.3 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, I'm done with the first version (Edit: the latest version is now actually 1.3).

It's called RACK PLANNER (not to be confused with MODULAR PLANNER, which is the web based tool you all know and love. Great thanks go to user modularplanner for all the work he did (and does) on that wonderful web based tool).

RackPlanner Features:

0) Runs on Mac or PC
1) A single big window (scrollable) with an infinitely large workspace and a menu at the top.
2) Configuration save and load, stored as xml.
3) Modules stored on disk as zip files containing jpg, details in xml. Make your own modules if you want.
5) Written in Java with local version (not web based).
6) Open source.
7) Free. No donations, no guilt.
8) Scale (zoom).
9) Should work with any format (non euro) and any rack.
10) Full rack capture to jpg.
11) Module copy and paste.

Try it: http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp/RackPlanner.zip It's freeware.

If you already have Rack Planner and you just need to upgrade, download the latest RackPlanner.jar here:
http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp/RackPlanner.jar (Save the new file over the old one.)

Readme is here: http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp/readme.txt

BananaPlug has established a collection of resources for Rack Planner here:
http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/

And a module builder here:
http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/moduleMaker.php

Screen shot:

Last edited by dougcl on Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 pm; edited 33 times in total
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Will the image size be the same? In a perfect world I'd love to see a 15% - 20% increase in resolution of the modules compared to the "old" planner.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scaling is supported.

Last edited by dougcl on Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Update (original pic updated).
1) Got the main JFrame class started the scroll pane in place, the rack class started with background tile, the module class started with module image, concept of HP implemented, and module location in pixels and row/col.
2)I've got the module image scaled automatically from arbitrarily large or small source images (jpg/gif, others) from disk, based on the indicated module HP alone.
3) Decided to make the rack 16 rows by 16 racks wide modeled after Bakis' system (I guess this is actually double that), although this is just an arbitrary starting point. It will be easily configurable.

Next:
Module movement with arrow keys.
Module movement with mouse with snap to grid.
Menu added.
Module factory class, and finally file I/O.
Might be done this weekend. This first cut will be pretty basic.

Just as a reminder, this will be absolutely free, open source, no obligation, no donations required or requested ever. Modules will be easily built by anyone who can make a jpg/gif, a simple text file and a zip file. Hopefully this will result in a large number of user created modules in a library we can all share. Code is Java, local install (no web).
I'm a little concerned with how to protect this using the GNU public license, so if anyone has any experience with that, please let me know.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all thanks for your dedication to this project. I've thought about doing my own but have other projects, you know how it is. Since you're going to the trouble to do this new version, here are a couple requests.

1. Don't limit it to a single format. It seems such a waste to limit this to one module format. Just as one can select modules, one should be able to select racks to put them in. An XML file defining the height and width etc. for each format would let us add new ones (even oddball DIY stuff). We should be able to arrange an assortment of racks in rows and columns (as in the real world). A general purpose "container" object could be inherited by both racks and modules.

2. Definitely use XML or something equally open to hacking rather than jar files. Nothing wrong with Java but some of us use other tools. If some of the module info has to be in jars, give us a utility for making our own (fill in a form, import a picture, whatever's necessary). Maybe an API to go with it.

3. You mentioned once before what a lot of work it is gathering all the images and how it came to be that many of the images are so small/blurry that you can't read the jack labels and such. If you make a decent open file format (and some kind of API/utility if we can't do it all with simple files) I'm sure some of us would be happy to create and share carefully prepared module and rack files.

If you want to brainstorm this at a more tedious level of detail, PM me. I've got an idea for a related tool too.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
First of all thanks for your dedication to this project. I've thought about doing my own but have other projects, you know how it is. Since you're going to the trouble to do this new version, here are a couple requests.

1. Don't limit it to a single format.

2. Definitely use XML or something equally open to hacking rather than jar files.

3. You mentioned once before what a lot of work it is gathering all the images and how it came to be that many of the images are so small/blurry that you can't read the jack labels and such. If you make a decent open file format (and some kind of API/utility if we can't do it all with simple files) I'm sure some of us would be happy to create and share carefully prepared module and rack files.

If you want to brainstorm this at a more tedious level of detail, PM me. I've got an idea for a related tool too.

1) In order to address Andreas' request for scale variability, I think this is going to be pretty much possible, although this project remains primarily for euro. I'll keep this in mind though, and I think we'll get it for free, although mixed formats will not be supported within one config, I don't see this as huge limitation.
2) There are four files planned. a) xml representing the entire configuration, totally hackable (human readible) and will probably have features not present in the GUI to configure the layout b) module jpg/gif, this can be anything as long as the aspect ratio is correct. c) module xml, which will have tags for manufacturer, HP, current draw, module name, etc. Obviously hackable by design, and all parameters will be obvious to everyone d) a module zip (or jar) to hold b&c for each module.

3) this is my primary objective. In my opinion, the euro situation is probably going to become overwhelming if we don't open up the maintenance of the module library to users and manufacturers. I envision a "module" sub directory in which all the module zips reside. The zip names will be important in that they are unique, and hopefully say something about the contents (ie. Doepfer_A-132-2.zip, and Cwejman_VCA4-MX.zip), although the program will not parse the name for information in any way, users will be browsing this directory when adding modules to the rack, so a name like jc12345.zip will not be very helpful, although it would work. All module details come from the module xml file in the module zip.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds good.

Quote:
although mixed formats will not be supported within one config, I don't see this as huge limitation.

Yes, but I keep thinking that it shouldn't be that hard to do. I know I'm not the only one using more than one format.

Quote:
c) module xml, which will have tags for manufacturer, HP, current draw, module name, etc.

Instead of a single "HP" parameter how about "width" and "units" where "HP", "inch" and "mm" are valid unit designations. It just seems weird and error prone to have people specifying modules by Modcan, Blacet, etc. in HP.

How about something in the zip file for info about where the file came from? For instance if I made some module zips I could include an author.xml file with contact info, all of it optional. Personally, I'd want to have a URL listed there. People could go to the URL and find a download page for any other module zips I may have made. Of course, I could just put a README text file in the zip but if it was XML you could more easily use the GUI to display the info.

You're doing all the work so no hard feelings if you blow off these suggestions. POW!
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:

Yes, but I keep thinking that it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Keep thinking. hihi Seriously though, I am going with a rack object that is defined as a huge scalable area in a single format. Not going to change this. It's marvellous and very simple. Multiple formats will be supported, but not in one rack. Create separate racks, just like you do in reality.

BananaPlug wrote:
Instead of a single "HP" parameter how about "width" and "units" where "HP", "inch" and "mm" are valid unit designations. It just seems weird and error prone to have people specifying modules by Modcan, Blacet, etc. in HP.

Ah! I thought HP was a universal rack measurement like U. Please confirm. If not, I'll look into this. Should be easy. Otherwise I don't mind making people think in terms of U and HP.

BananaPlug wrote:

How about something in the zip file for info about where the file came from?

You are free to put whatever tags you want in the module xml. They won't be reported in the GUI though. Not sure what will be reported in the GUI. I'm less concerned about this, although reporting total mA and maybe price will be done, although the latter is naturally inaccurate as a hardcoded module property. I might include it for historical reasons. I might also do a module inventory of some kind grouped by manuf and module type. Some of this might be really easy, since I am putting the program together with it in mind. (The rack will have a list object containing all the modules, and I will easily be able to loop through it snagging module properties as I go.)

BananaPlug wrote:

You're doing all the work so no hard feelings if you blow off these suggestions. POW!

Keep 'em coming, and no hard feelings if I blow them off! I think this multi format idea will be easy, so I'm really glad you mentioned it!
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice work Doug!

Will the ASys modules have that same offset so that you can never get any other euro module except Cwejman next to one w/o using up 1HP space? lol
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dkcg wrote:
Nice work Doug!

Will the ASys modules have that same offset so that you can never get any other euro module except Cwejman next to one w/o using up 1HP space? lol

Ha ha, NO. I was thinking about that. Okay maybe. No.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Update.

For Andreas, got scaling working. Scale of 2.0 is shown. Scaling of 1.0 equates to the old modular planner. Scale of .5 is really small but looks good, less than that and the scaler blurs the image into mush.

For Banana, Generalized rack and module concepts to admit any format (hopefully).

Now, continuing forward:

Got module movement with arrow keys.

Got focus working so that focused module is bounded in yellow as shown.

Lots of cleanup and organizing.

Next: mouse movement and snap to grid.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mouse movement (drag and drop) and snap to grid done. This was the big hurdle in the project. I think the rest is down hill.

Next:
ModuleFactory class, create module zip, and try loading a module from disk. This will pretty much bring us to the capability of the current version (a little more and a little less), and I may release it for review. Construction of module library can begin.
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, now with the new case coming out from PlanB, it would be nice to select the type of case the modules are going into. Well, once they start shipping anyways. smile
consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

awesome, doug!
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The case is infinitely extensible in both directions (note the scroll bars). This will accommodate any eurorack possible. The default will be Bakis' system. Will that work for you? wink

Edit: Oh, and if you want a different width, you just need to create another background image for it. This program should accommodate all if not most of the existing modular formats as well, although I am writing it for euro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> RackPlanner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: