MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
RackPlanner 1.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author RackPlanner 1.3
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: RackPlanner 1.3 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, I'm done with the first version (Edit: the latest version is now actually 1.3).

It's called RACK PLANNER (not to be confused with MODULAR PLANNER, which is the web based tool you all know and love. Great thanks go to user modularplanner for all the work he did (and does) on that wonderful web based tool).

RackPlanner Features:

0) Runs on Mac or PC
1) A single big window (scrollable) with an infinitely large workspace and a menu at the top.
2) Configuration save and load, stored as xml.
3) Modules stored on disk as zip files containing jpg, details in xml. Make your own modules if you want.
5) Written in Java with local version (not web based).
6) Open source.
7) Free. No donations, no guilt.
8) Scale (zoom).
9) Should work with any format (non euro) and any rack.
10) Full rack capture to jpg.
11) Module copy and paste.

Try it: http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp/RackPlanner.zip It's freeware.

If you already have Rack Planner and you just need to upgrade, download the latest RackPlanner.jar here:
http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp/RackPlanner.jar (Save the new file over the old one.)

Readme is here: http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp/readme.txt

BananaPlug has established a collection of resources for Rack Planner here:
http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/

And a module builder here:
http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/moduleMaker.php

Screen shot:

Last edited by dougcl on Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 pm; edited 33 times in total
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Will the image size be the same? In a perfect world I'd love to see a 15% - 20% increase in resolution of the modules compared to the "old" planner.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scaling is supported.

Last edited by dougcl on Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Update (original pic updated).
1) Got the main JFrame class started the scroll pane in place, the rack class started with background tile, the module class started with module image, concept of HP implemented, and module location in pixels and row/col.
2)I've got the module image scaled automatically from arbitrarily large or small source images (jpg/gif, others) from disk, based on the indicated module HP alone.
3) Decided to make the rack 16 rows by 16 racks wide modeled after Bakis' system (I guess this is actually double that), although this is just an arbitrary starting point. It will be easily configurable.

Next:
Module movement with arrow keys.
Module movement with mouse with snap to grid.
Menu added.
Module factory class, and finally file I/O.
Might be done this weekend. This first cut will be pretty basic.

Just as a reminder, this will be absolutely free, open source, no obligation, no donations required or requested ever. Modules will be easily built by anyone who can make a jpg/gif, a simple text file and a zip file. Hopefully this will result in a large number of user created modules in a library we can all share. Code is Java, local install (no web).
I'm a little concerned with how to protect this using the GNU public license, so if anyone has any experience with that, please let me know.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all thanks for your dedication to this project. I've thought about doing my own but have other projects, you know how it is. Since you're going to the trouble to do this new version, here are a couple requests.

1. Don't limit it to a single format. It seems such a waste to limit this to one module format. Just as one can select modules, one should be able to select racks to put them in. An XML file defining the height and width etc. for each format would let us add new ones (even oddball DIY stuff). We should be able to arrange an assortment of racks in rows and columns (as in the real world). A general purpose "container" object could be inherited by both racks and modules.

2. Definitely use XML or something equally open to hacking rather than jar files. Nothing wrong with Java but some of us use other tools. If some of the module info has to be in jars, give us a utility for making our own (fill in a form, import a picture, whatever's necessary). Maybe an API to go with it.

3. You mentioned once before what a lot of work it is gathering all the images and how it came to be that many of the images are so small/blurry that you can't read the jack labels and such. If you make a decent open file format (and some kind of API/utility if we can't do it all with simple files) I'm sure some of us would be happy to create and share carefully prepared module and rack files.

If you want to brainstorm this at a more tedious level of detail, PM me. I've got an idea for a related tool too.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
First of all thanks for your dedication to this project. I've thought about doing my own but have other projects, you know how it is. Since you're going to the trouble to do this new version, here are a couple requests.

1. Don't limit it to a single format.

2. Definitely use XML or something equally open to hacking rather than jar files.

3. You mentioned once before what a lot of work it is gathering all the images and how it came to be that many of the images are so small/blurry that you can't read the jack labels and such. If you make a decent open file format (and some kind of API/utility if we can't do it all with simple files) I'm sure some of us would be happy to create and share carefully prepared module and rack files.

If you want to brainstorm this at a more tedious level of detail, PM me. I've got an idea for a related tool too.

1) In order to address Andreas' request for scale variability, I think this is going to be pretty much possible, although this project remains primarily for euro. I'll keep this in mind though, and I think we'll get it for free, although mixed formats will not be supported within one config, I don't see this as huge limitation.
2) There are four files planned. a) xml representing the entire configuration, totally hackable (human readible) and will probably have features not present in the GUI to configure the layout b) module jpg/gif, this can be anything as long as the aspect ratio is correct. c) module xml, which will have tags for manufacturer, HP, current draw, module name, etc. Obviously hackable by design, and all parameters will be obvious to everyone d) a module zip (or jar) to hold b&c for each module.

3) this is my primary objective. In my opinion, the euro situation is probably going to become overwhelming if we don't open up the maintenance of the module library to users and manufacturers. I envision a "module" sub directory in which all the module zips reside. The zip names will be important in that they are unique, and hopefully say something about the contents (ie. Doepfer_A-132-2.zip, and Cwejman_VCA4-MX.zip), although the program will not parse the name for information in any way, users will be browsing this directory when adding modules to the rack, so a name like jc12345.zip will not be very helpful, although it would work. All module details come from the module xml file in the module zip.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds good.

Quote:
although mixed formats will not be supported within one config, I don't see this as huge limitation.

Yes, but I keep thinking that it shouldn't be that hard to do. I know I'm not the only one using more than one format.

Quote:
c) module xml, which will have tags for manufacturer, HP, current draw, module name, etc.

Instead of a single "HP" parameter how about "width" and "units" where "HP", "inch" and "mm" are valid unit designations. It just seems weird and error prone to have people specifying modules by Modcan, Blacet, etc. in HP.

How about something in the zip file for info about where the file came from? For instance if I made some module zips I could include an author.xml file with contact info, all of it optional. Personally, I'd want to have a URL listed there. People could go to the URL and find a download page for any other module zips I may have made. Of course, I could just put a README text file in the zip but if it was XML you could more easily use the GUI to display the info.

You're doing all the work so no hard feelings if you blow off these suggestions. POW!
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:

Yes, but I keep thinking that it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Keep thinking. hihi Seriously though, I am going with a rack object that is defined as a huge scalable area in a single format. Not going to change this. It's marvellous and very simple. Multiple formats will be supported, but not in one rack. Create separate racks, just like you do in reality.

BananaPlug wrote:
Instead of a single "HP" parameter how about "width" and "units" where "HP", "inch" and "mm" are valid unit designations. It just seems weird and error prone to have people specifying modules by Modcan, Blacet, etc. in HP.

Ah! I thought HP was a universal rack measurement like U. Please confirm. If not, I'll look into this. Should be easy. Otherwise I don't mind making people think in terms of U and HP.

BananaPlug wrote:

How about something in the zip file for info about where the file came from?

You are free to put whatever tags you want in the module xml. They won't be reported in the GUI though. Not sure what will be reported in the GUI. I'm less concerned about this, although reporting total mA and maybe price will be done, although the latter is naturally inaccurate as a hardcoded module property. I might include it for historical reasons. I might also do a module inventory of some kind grouped by manuf and module type. Some of this might be really easy, since I am putting the program together with it in mind. (The rack will have a list object containing all the modules, and I will easily be able to loop through it snagging module properties as I go.)

BananaPlug wrote:

You're doing all the work so no hard feelings if you blow off these suggestions. POW!

Keep 'em coming, and no hard feelings if I blow them off! I think this multi format idea will be easy, so I'm really glad you mentioned it!
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice work Doug!

Will the ASys modules have that same offset so that you can never get any other euro module except Cwejman next to one w/o using up 1HP space? lol
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dkcg wrote:
Nice work Doug!

Will the ASys modules have that same offset so that you can never get any other euro module except Cwejman next to one w/o using up 1HP space? lol

Ha ha, NO. I was thinking about that. Okay maybe. No.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Update.

For Andreas, got scaling working. Scale of 2.0 is shown. Scaling of 1.0 equates to the old modular planner. Scale of .5 is really small but looks good, less than that and the scaler blurs the image into mush.

For Banana, Generalized rack and module concepts to admit any format (hopefully).

Now, continuing forward:

Got module movement with arrow keys.

Got focus working so that focused module is bounded in yellow as shown.

Lots of cleanup and organizing.

Next: mouse movement and snap to grid.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mouse movement (drag and drop) and snap to grid done. This was the big hurdle in the project. I think the rest is down hill.

Next:
ModuleFactory class, create module zip, and try loading a module from disk. This will pretty much bring us to the capability of the current version (a little more and a little less), and I may release it for review. Construction of module library can begin.
dkcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, now with the new case coming out from PlanB, it would be nice to select the type of case the modules are going into. Well, once they start shipping anyways. smile
consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

awesome, doug!
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The case is infinitely extensible in both directions (note the scroll bars). This will accommodate any eurorack possible. The default will be Bakis' system. Will that work for you? wink

Edit: Oh, and if you want a different width, you just need to create another background image for it. This program should accommodate all if not most of the existing modular formats as well, although I am writing it for euro.
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is this thing up yet? I can't seem to access Modular Planner's page. I used to be able to, but I can't now. Even with trying 2 browsers.
modularplanner
Grand Master Flash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If your talking about my planner its always up, this planner has nothing do with me. I'm not sure what is causing your problems, are you seeing anything (black page) or just a 404 page not found error, PM me?

Last edited by modularplanner on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It occurred to me last night that I can maybe get a rushed version of this out so people can start making modules. The program can't load modules yet though so that has to happen first. I might have that ready today. Still, there will be only one or two modules probably, and we'll have to start making them:
1) Get a jpg or gif of the module (any scale is acceptable, but aspect ratio must be correct.
2) Use a text editor to create a simple xml file describing the module.
3) Create a zip file that contains 1&2 and has a nice descriptive name (eg. Doepfer_A-138-2.zip).
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I can maybe get a rushed version of this out so people can start making modules.

That's a heck of a good idea. Do that and I'll take a stab at prepping some Modcan A modules for it. That will be a good test on non-euro capability.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome. Looks like there will be a file called background.jpg that will represent one row of your modcan rack. It can be any scale you want, but for now it will appear in the scale you create it. If you want, you can make that now. Make sure the aspect ratio is correct, and the scale is about what you will want to work with.

Example module zip is attached.

Just got module deletion in. Created the ModuleFactory. Got a working unzip built. I should have something rolling today.
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

modularplanner wrote:
If your talking about my planner its always up, this planner has nothing do with me. I'm not sure what is causing your problems, are you seeing anything (black page) or just a 404 page not found error, PM me?

Hey,

I can't figure out why this isn't working for me. Tried Safari and Firefox on OS X Leopard 10.5.6. Latest versions of each browser. It hasn't worked, for me, for weeks. I've laid out most of my system there already. No access now.

I go here: http://mega.modularplanner.co.uk/

I get this:
dkcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

modularplanner wrote:

I just noticed that there's no PlanB Miniwave faceplate in the current planner. :(
flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kent wrote:
I can't figure out why this isn't working for me. Tried Safari and Firefox on OS X Leopard 10.5.6. Latest versions of each browser. It hasn't worked, for me, for weeks. I've laid out most of my system there already. No access now.
I go here: http://mega.modularplanner.co.uk/

Works fine here right now, Firefox on latest Leopard... I wonder if your ISP or whatever has some kind of hidden blocklist and the site's accidentally there or something.
modularplanner
Grand Master Flash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dkcg wrote:

I just noticed that there's no PlanB Miniwave faceplate in the current planner. :(

best to take discussion of my planner to my planner thread

Regarding the Miniwave, as soon as someone can supply a photo with knobs on ill be happy to add it.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Update:
Modules can now be added by choosing zip files from disk. See pic at the top of this thread.

I've put together three example modules, it takes about 3 minutes to make a module if you have an image available. The MX-4S zip shown in the image is attached.

Next:
Configuration save/open.

Cleanup.

Test for release.

Don, if you want a miniwave, download the zip attached here, have a look. Make one. This program will be available within a few days.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

moved to first post.

Last edited by dougcl on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, first release is finished. See the first post in this thread. I will update the original post with the latest info.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice! I'll try to get some Modcan A stuff prepared tomorrow. Got sidetracked today.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome. For modcan:

0) download the zip file again! Help about should show v1.0.1 on its title bar.

1) Come up with a background image. Put it in the images dir, and update the rack.xml with the filename you chose.
2) Try to figure out how many HP is in your rack. HP is the number of possible positions a module can be in. Probably less than the minimum module width. Might be the same. The HP should make sense given the width that your rack jpg represents.
3) Set the number of rack rows and cols that you want in rack.xml. This affects how the scroll bars behave.
4) Run the program and see what the rack looks like.
5) If it looks good, try making a module. Look at the zip files in the modules dir. You can change the default modules directory in rack.xml. The idea is that you can have several racks in different formats with different module directories.

Last edited by dougcl on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're doing everything in HP, are fractional HP allowed?
Modcan A comes in 2.25" increments = 11.25 HP
Modcan B comes in 1.75" increments = 8.75 HP
Frac rack comes in 1.5" increments = 7.5 HP
If not I guess I'll round them.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forget that HP means something (a set number of inches or mm) in euro.

Think of it this way:

Let's say there are 20 possible positions in a row of a Frac rack and the smallest Frac module consumes 2 positions. Then HP for the rack = 20, and the smallest Frac module has an HP of 2.

Let's say one Serge panel consumes an entire row of a Serge rack. Then the HP for the rack = 1, and every module has an HP of 1.

Let's say Modcan has ten possible positions and the smallest module consumes a full position. Then the rack HP is 10 and the smallest module HP is 1. Double modules would have an HP of 2.

In the case of Euro, there are 84 possible module positions and the smallest module consumes 4 positions. The HP for the rack = 84 and the smallest module has an HP = 4.

Let's say you figure your rack has 10 possible positions and some of your modules consume 1/2 a position. Your rack HP needs to be increased to 20 so your smallest module HP becomes 1.

Last edited by dougcl on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
3) Set the number of rack rows and cols (in HP) that you want in rack.xml. The HP should make sense given the width of your rack jpg.

I've built a background and a rack.xml file. It looks about right in the planner except that the rack image repeats horizontally. I've tried setting cols to the number of HP one rack should be and I've tried setting it to 1 but I still get a seemingly endless rack. The rows setting works though.

EDIT:
Quote:
Forget that HP means something (a set number of inches or mm) in euro. Think of it this way...

A fine system and it explains my problem but why call that HP when HP already has a widely accepted meaning? You're going to get real tired of explaining this.

Quote:
Their width is measured in HP (HP = horizontal pitch, 1 HP = 5.08 mm or 1/5 inch or 1/5").
--Doepfer

Last edited by BananaPlug on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha ha, that is so COOOL. Good job.

The window itself always opens to 1024x768 and you'll get scrollbars, or not depending on your rows and cols settings. If the window size is larger, then you'll always see more rows and columns (the rack is always infinite). The rows and cols settings just affect how the scroll scroll bars appear, which is essential for large racks that span several screens or for scale settings around 2.0 and higher.

Last edited by dougcl on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
parasitk
I Play Loco Gigs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
I've built a background and a rack.xml file. It looks about right in the planner except that the rack image repeats horizontally. I've tried setting cols to the number of HP one rack should be and I've tried setting it to 1 but I still get a seemingly endless rack. The rows setting works though.

Modcan A, sweet! w00t Please share if/when you can!

dkcg wrote:
But in the end, it felt like I was playing WiiSoundMasterJedi.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
A fine system and it explains my problem but why call that HP when HP already has a widely accepted meaning? You're going to get real tired of explaining this.

Quote:
Their width is measured in HP (HP = horizontal pitch, 1 HP = 5.08 mm or 1/5 inch or 1/5").
--Doepfer

I know. I'm sorry, but it has such intuitive appeal in the euro format, and when I generalized the concept, I couldn't think of a name. I figured I would be explaining it no matter what, and I envisioned explaining it in the way I just did to you, and that seemed like the best option. At least I don't have to explain it to the euro people as well wink
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Try setting cols to 1. My quote above is wrong! It was late! Fixing the original post now.

Okay, did that but it still seems screwy. Try these files out and see if you have any luck. Hmm, there should be three files but I'm not sure they all attached.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One more file. I can't seem to send this as an attachment.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<rack>
   <properties>
      <scale>1.0</scale>
      <rows>3</rows>
      <cols>1</cols>
      <imagesPath>./images</imagesPath>
      <modulesPath>./modules</modulesPath>
      <rackImageFilename>ModcanA_rack.jpg</rackImageFilename>
      <rackHP>7</rackHP>
   </properties>
   <modules>
      <module>
         <zipFilename>32A.zip</zipFilename>
         <row>1</row>
         <col>1</col>
      </module>
   </modules>
</rack>

Last edited by BananaPlug on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I'll get it sorted out this evening. Thanks for getting this started. I'm also going to add the rack xml as a command line parameter to the program. Then we can build shortcuts for different rack formats, etc.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
One more file. I can't seem to send this as an attachment.

You can't attach xml to this forum. Posting as code is best.

Looks like something is assuming 84 HP in the rack no matter what. So I'll look at it this evening. Now I have a non-euro test case. Looks like the rack HP should be 10 and the module HP should be 1. I'll get it working. Thanks for your help. In the meantime you can use module HP of 12!

Last edited by dougcl on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Now I have a non-euro test case. Looks like the rack HP should be 10 and the module HP should be 1. I'll get it working. Thanks for your help. In the meantime you can use module HP of 12!

Just for clarity, the standard Modcan A rack I'm trying to model has positions for 7 single width modules, each 2.25 inches wide.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay rack HP = 7 (seven possible positions) and the smallest module is 1 HP. Should be an easy fix.

I added a vertical line to the right hand side of your background image:
parasitk
I Play Loco Gigs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can we move this thread out of the Euro section now that the Rack Planner is useful for any format? w00t

dkcg wrote:
But in the end, it felt like I was playing WiiSoundMasterJedi.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Done.
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey,

I'm just starting to look at your Rack Planner - great work!

I'll continue to try out making rack / modules -> did a quick try out frac-rack and found it pretty straight forward, so good stuff there. Will try out modules shortly too..

Two quick questions:
- zoom - is that only preset in the rack.xml definition? or is there a keyboard shortcut
- export - are you just using a screengrab to export images at the moment?

Would be great to get my new Bug-modules up and in action so.. more soon!

Thanks for doing this.

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Bugbrand, yep, just make screen shots, and yes, the only way to scale is in the rack.xml file.

I'm working on an applet version that can be imbedded in a web page. This would probably be really useful for manufacturers like yourself. You could host a little planner just for bugbrand on your site or blog. I'm running into trouble though with the file I/O since applets have to do everything via URLs. I should be able to get it working though. All the modules you are building for Rack Planner will of course be fully compatible with the applet version.

Not sure if I can improve the image quality on scaling, but that is also something that I'm looking at. Build your rack and module images at the scale they are most likely to be used so the effect of scaling is minimized.

Thanks for trying it out!

Last edited by dougcl on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hiya

First off - thanks to Bananaplug for making up a set of BugModules!

I've continued using the app and would like to give some feedback if that's ok - friendly, of course! I don't at all know the ins and outs of how you've made this, so there may well be things I say that simply aren't possible or realistic.

Scaling - if you could do that within the Planner that'd be really great! A menu setting would be good, a right-click and/or keyboard shortcut would be *fantastic*!

I know you've mentioned the image quality of scaling - things seem alright scaling up, but going down at all quickly renders the images pretty messy. I went for reasonably large images (sent to Bananaplug) so you don't normally see the full rack width on the screen, so you have to scale and, therefore, the end result at screen-grab is less good.

Export - if a jpeg of filled racks could be exported, that'd be really good too.

Save -- is it possible to have a save as function? I guess otherwise you can just copy the rack.xml and rename.

Maybe things could be written so you'd load up a rack - either at startup or with an open function - this'd then load a particular rack_xxx.xml file which would allow quick changing between, say, Euro / Frac / etc ... or Frac_user1 / Frac_user2 / etc.

Adding modules -- a right button click menu could be good here perhaps?
Also, I wondered whether things could be written so any added module automatically got put into the next free space?

Oh, a strange thing -> the horizontal scroll-bar seems to like disappearing off the bottom of my screen (or under the taskbar)

An online version would be really fantastic too!
I hope those comments don't come across as negative at all - I'm really impressed by the great little app you've come up with.

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi BugBrand, first of all no problem. My aim was to be able to use this at least for myself, and I've accomplished that. Anything beyond that is really icing on the cake, so all suggestions are welcome.

There is a design philosophy here that kept things extremely simple so that it had a high chance of getting done smile

Regarding image quality, I spent an evening this week trying a bunch of different approaches (although I'm not an expert), and after all of that it turned out that the current approach offered much higher quality but over a smaller range than others. So contrary to my earlier advice, it is perhaps best to build your rack image and modules at the scale most likely to be used. I think from there doubling and halving via scaling offers acceptable results (try it I could be wrong). Note that if your rack image is at a small scale, all modules will be scaled into it, so make your rack image the same vertical size in pixels as your modules for best results.

Live scaling is possible, but it conflicts with another feature. The program loads a module once, scales it, and caches it. All instances of that module on the screen derive from the same scaled image stored in memory. In order to scale, all the modules would have to be re-retrieved from disk and scaled. This might be acceptable, but it will lead to a delay. Either that or I could scrap the caching setup, but I kind of like it.

JPEG export is done as of version 1.0.5.

Loading up various racks: My recommendation is to use shortcuts to run the program with different rack.xml files on the command line. I think this can be improved, and at least a Save As option should be possible.

I could probably add a right click to add modules without much difficulty. Make sure you get the latest version of the code because I added hotkeys to the menu, and the Add Dialog now retains its last size (BananaPlug's feedback).

New modules are always placed in the upper left corner of the visible portion of the rack. You should always see them when added (you don't have to scroll back to the origin).

The scroll bars disappear when your window size exceeds the size of the rack as specified in the rack.xml rows and cols.

Still looking at an online implementation. I've actually got it converted already, but file I/O is an issue. Still thinking about that.

Thanks!
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great developments - I just tried the export function and that works really well (oh, on windows I have to write 'export.jpg' otherwise the file made has no extension).

Good addition of the Alt-A for adding modules quickly!
- would Copy/Paste be possible?

Quote:
There is a design philosophy here that kept things extremely simple so that it had a high chance of getting done smile

I hear you!
Great stuff you're doing here - this will be really useful for people planning their BugSystems, so I'll point them all towards the thread & files.

Big thanks!

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

w00t My online Module Library now has a Module Maker tool which will build a module zip file from your uploaded image.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
w00t My online Module Library now has a Module Maker tool which will build a module zip file from your uploaded image.

Hey I just tried this out with a random jpg, and it works great. I turned a picture of my birdbath into a euro module and had it loaded into my rack in a couple of minutes. I love the option to save to your library. Good job. we're not worthy
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BugBrand wrote:

Good addition of the Alt-A for adding modules quickly!
- would Copy/Paste be possible?

Module copy and paste now available.

Please note Alt+A for add module has been changed to Alt+M in anticipation of a Save As feature (which will use Alt+A instead).

Anyone who knows of a way to create large images in Java without consuming memory (using disk caching), please pm me. In the meantime, if you want to save large rack images, you'll need to start RackPlanner with
-Xmx256m on the command line to double the memory available to the JVM (to 256MB). Full command line example:
Code:
C:\WINNT\system32\java.exe -Xmx256m -jar RackPlanner.jar euro_rack.xml
sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do I zoom?
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Use "Save" to save your configuration. Close the program. Use notepad (or another editor) to edit rack.xml. Increase the scale (try 2.0 instead of 1.0). Run the program again.
sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unbelievable. Now I finally have a way to save my patches. Gracious.

btw, I uploaded all the Harvestman modules, the AFG and Vulcan, a couple more Plan B and a couple more Doepfer with BananaPlugs module maker.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: RackPlanner Module Library Updated Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Latest update to my RackPlanner library. Save yourselves some work.

UPDATE — Feb 24 2009:

Added several euro modules donated by users of the Module Maker. Thanks!
Added a full set of Modcan B modules. The images all needed to have background cropped away.
Removed a small number of modules which had crooked images. Sorry, just trying to keep the quality up.
Fixed Internet Explorer bug (IE6, Argggh).

Edit: fixed a link

Last edited by BananaPlug on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome. Thanks for doing this.

Looks like your Rack Planner Library link is broken though. Should be:

http://www.squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/index.php

Is the rack image for modcan B the same as for modcan A?
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Is the rack image for modcan B the same as for modcan A?
No, thanks for reminding me. I've uploaded the XML and image for the B series.

Wait a minute. Ooops! The Modcan B files I put up last night had the uncropped images in them. I've uploaded the correct ones.
rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this rack planner app rawks SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
thanks guys!
dkcg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very nice work! Oh man, this would be a GREAT iphone app!
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm trying to change the HP in a module made with modulemaker, but having changed from 16 hp to 18 hp the module shows up as blank... is it because the aspect ratio is off?
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You are editing the module.xml within the zip? Shouldn't be a problem, but make sure the image filename has not changed. It has to match what is in module.xml. Note if you edit a module, you need to restart RackPlanner so the fresh version will be loaded instead of a cached version.

Probably the easiest way to do what you are trying to do is just use the ModuleMaker to create a new module.
dkcg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any chance an update could include importing multiple modules at once? My PC's a bit slow, at opening, so it would be nice to select the modules I want. I'm planning on using the Planner as a way to store patches I want to remember.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You mean a multiple select in the Add Module dialog? That should be doable.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've updated the collection of RackPlanner resources I host at my Squiggletronics web site.

w00t New Library Browser! Click a filename to see what the module looks like, click a button to download it.

The ModuleMaker will probably be updated next. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Modules from ModuleMaker which have been offered to the library will get processed more quickly now. I added a bunch today.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, it took me a minute to see that I needed to click on the filename to get the preview, but wow, that's nice work. w00t
glau
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fist i´d like to thank you for that great job. Mushisimas gracias.

I have a question: Anyone knows how can i draw patch cords?

Thanks a lot

NEW CD "Sirius" at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/siriusmusic
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome!
This all just gets better and better - thanks Doug & Steve for all your great work!

glau
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Attatched some modules.

I need to add the Plan B model 37, but i only have the attatched image from ear page. please, anybody can add it to the planner?

glau
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got it!!!

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

glau wrote:
Fist i´d like to thank you for that great job. Mushisimas gracias.

I have a question: Anyone knows how can i draw patch cords?

Thanks a lot

Hi Glau, use Rack Planner to create a jpg with the modules you want, then load the jpg into a paint program and draw the lines. Right now there isn't any line drawing in Rack Planner.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New features in the ModuleMaker utility:
Start by picking a format and side-panels start showing you library contents.

The first one shows a list of the Manufacturers found in that format's part of the library. Click to copy a manufacturer name to the form and a listing of that manufacturer's modules for the selected format appears. Each one has a download button and clicking the name of the module shows you it's picture.

Of course you can still write any manufacturer name into the form but this system will help keep spelling consistent and you might find that the module you wanted to make is already done.

Thanks to ModuleMaker users for all the contributed modules and thanks to Doug for the RackPlanner!

FYI: Browser issues - Some things don't work in IE6. FireFox is fine. If you notice anything awful let me know. It's all valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional so it ought to be okay in modern browsers.
Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there a way to DL everything at once? Does anyone have a zip file of all the modules?
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All of them? Early on I had a zip of each format but I got tired of keeping them up to date. When I get a chance I'll add a feature to the library letting you select several modules and download them all at once. Thanks for the feedback.
Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
All of them? Early on I had a zip of each format but I got tired of keeping them up to date. When I get a chance I'll add a feature to the library letting you select several modules and download them all at once. Thanks for the feedback.

NP. I was building the system I have in the rack planner and thought it'd be easier to just DL everything in one pack. The pictures aren't that big. And it saves an hour or more of DLing each individual one, unzipping and organizing.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Library Browser now has buttons for downloading all modules of a particular format all at once. Hover your mouse over the download button to see file size and date. These collections will be automatically rebuilt as new modules are added to the library.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy cow this is awesome. hyper

Hey, I noticed that there are quite a few Doepfer modules that used to be up there (at least I thought they were) but now they're gone. Should I create the missing Doepfer modules as time permits, or did you have a different plan?
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really? The only thing I can think of is that I renamed some of the older Doepfer files that didn't have the format initial "E" in them. What's missing?

Glad you like the new feature.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's probably just me. I created some later and they probably didn't make it into your library.

Do you prefer module descriptions in the name now? Seems like a good idea.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Do you prefer module descriptions in the name now? Seems like a good idea.

Yes but not too wordy because they fill up the dialog box in the planner. At first I was going with whatever seemed predominant among the contributions but more and more I think the numbered modules need a word or two.

The early PlanB contributions were all like "Model28" but I think I'll rename them at some point like "M28 Tap Clk" or "M12 Filter" unless somebody wants to suggest something else.

Interestingly only a few of the Blacet modules have their numbers in the filenames.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Got it. Thanks.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess that was you who contributed a pile of modules last night. I've added them to the library. FYI, I have to change S&H to S-H because ampersands don't make for happy filenames.

The Plan B modules have all been renamed: "Model28" became "M28 Tap Clk"
Sorry if that inconveniences anybody. In the long run I think it's helpful.

At some point I'll try to get around to adding descriptive words to those Doepfer zips that don't yet have them.

The automatic update of the collection zip worked nicely.

One more thing: The Euro collection is now 129 files and almost 7MB.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: News from the Module Library Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's what people using the Module Maker have contributed to the Module Library recently.

Recent Contributions Log — as of Apr 24 2009
Added: Cwejman_E_VC-FC.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-116 Waveform Proc
Added: Flame_E_Clcokwork.zip
Added: Wiard_F_1210A Noise Ring.zip
Added: Wiard_F_1212A Boogie.zip
Added: Wiard_F_1213A Borg.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-133 Dual Polarizer.zip
Added: Plan B_E_M9 Mixer Attenuator.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-143-9 Quadrature LFO.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-148 S-H.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-172 Max Min.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-167 Comparator.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-162 Trig Del.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-160 Clock Div.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-152.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-137 Wave Mult.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-146 LFO.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-121 Multi Filter.zip
Added: Doepfer_E_A-117 Dig. Noise.zip

In case you didn't know, there's also Modcan and a few MOTM format modules.

Let me know if you have any feature suggestions or would like to see a format added.
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DUDES!!! HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK!!!

Thanks for getting me to try this out again. The last time that I played with this we didn't have Banana Plug's awesome Squiggle-Tronics module builder. I just created every ASol module known to man. Awesome utility. Thanks, guys.

P.S. I left out the super-rare Filter1 as my only image of it is shit.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I just created every ASol module known to man.

Wow! What a heap of percussion goodies that was. I had no idea there were so many different bass drums and snares in the AS line. They are available in the library now. My coffee hadn't fully kicked in yet when I went through them so I forgot to lower case some capitalized filenames, hope it's not too screamy for you.
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey BananaPlug,

One thing that I noticed is that both Analogue Solutions and Analogue Systems are abbreviated as "AS" on the site. I've tended to prefer ASol & ASys. Would it be possible to change this in order to make for easier navigation and for the sake of clarity?

Also, the Doepfer 8HP Blanking Panel that I made (same size as the power inlet on their cases) came out as 9HP for some reason.

Besides these two things I must re-state my amazement at what a kick-ass tool you guys have provided. I wish that I'd gotten on board sooner.

3 x SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! and a w00t

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry, my mistake. It's all fixed now and I used ASol & ASys. Fixed the blank panel too. The HP is figured out by looking at the image dimensions. Skinny Euro the modules are the most challenging.

Glad you like it! Virtual beer to Doug for writing the RackPlanner. Chugging Beers
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: How many HP is a Livewire AFG? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Somebody submitted another version of the AFG and I'm trying to fact check it. How many HP is a Livewire AFG? The Livewire website doesn't seem to think it's worth mentioning, or at least I couldn't find it. Maybe they don't want to scare people. hihi
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was me, the AFG is 28 HP, and that missing HP was driving me nuts so I did a fix in GIMP. It was also me who uploaded the two ChaQuo's, the edited one is the right one...
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Veqtor,
Just so you'll know, in case you didn't, you can edit the module.xml file and increase the HP by one. With such a wide module and the image being probably within a fraction of an HP, you wouldn't see any difference.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both of the ChaQuo images came out as 20HP which is correct, they just look different. The AFG came out as 28 so I replaced the old one with that. Thanks.

FYI, the FoH Choices joystick joined the library today too.
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, I have tried editing the module.xml file, but sometimes, it doesn't work. The module ends up being blank!

I upped the choices modules and because of my OCD I upped photo-panels of ModDemod and the Plague Bearer 1E and 2E!

I highly suggest you go for them instead of the older ones. Since they look a lot better!

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Veqtor, the blank panel syndrome usually means that the image filename in the module.xml doesn't match the filename of the image.
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No I think the problem lies in that it can't resize it to fit the correct proportions, no? I didn't change the filename at all. Just the HP
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It should scrunch anything into anything. Shouldn't matter. It could be that when the xml was added back to the zip, it was added with the full path accidentally? After altering the xml, have a look at the zip contents and make sure paths aren't shown next to the files in the zip (you can compare it to the original from squiggletronics). That's the only other thing I can think of. Well, except maybe if the module.xml file got an extra character or something in the wrong place when it was edited.

Edit: Well so much for those theories. I just tried both setting the HP undersized and including the full path in the zip. Still works. No idea what the problem could be. Send me the zip and I'll have a look. Are you on a Mac, by chance?

Last edited by dougcl on Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Send me the zip and I'll have a look.
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weird, it works now... Maybe I was using an older version before, when I was having these problems. I can't seem to replicate the issue now anymore.
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gents,

I've read through the 5 pages and am still scratching my head. Is it possible to have my spiffy Eurorack plan up and incorporate my 3 racks of Frac into it as well? I'd like to have the Frac & Euro on the same planner. Is this possible?

If not, can I lay out my Frac stuff in another window without borking my Euro Planner? Can I hop back & forth between the two? Can this be explained to a stone-tablet-weilding, Cuneiform-chiseling, Luddite like myself in 2-syllable words?

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Started playing with the module maker to get a couple of Voxglitch modules done and I screwed them up, please delete them and I'll do them again.

Thanks
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay. They're gone.
a100user
All the gear, no idea!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks

BTW in order to scale the images correctly should they be a certain size, dumb question I know but seriously, i just don't get it
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RackPlanner will automatically scale them to fit but be reasonable. Nearly all of the images in use so far are from manufacturer's web sites so they are a reasonable size, maybe a bit on the small side. Most of the euro format images are 300px tall.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kent wrote:

If not, can I lay out my Frac stuff in another window without borking my Euro Planner? Can I hop back & forth between the two? Can this be explained to a stone-tablet-weilding, Cuneiform-chiseling, Luddite like myself in 2-syllable words?

You can specify the rack xml on the command line. So you can have a different rack xml for each format. Then create a shortcut for each so that the shortcut opens Rack Planner with the rack xml.

So for example, your shortcuts could be called EuroRack.lnk, FracRack.lnk, and Modcan.lnk. Your rack xml files would be called EuroRack.xml, FracRack.xml and Modcan.xml. You could then have three different module directories EuroRack, FracRack and Modcan. Each rack xml would point to the corresponding module directory.

No problem having multiple instances of Rack Planner open, so you can have all three open in separate windows simultaneously. You can use the Save As JPG option to make jpgs of each, but you would have to combine the images manually if you want them in the same pic.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Hey Doug, Another vote for multi-format planner!
By the way. Is a Save As feature possible? As it is you have to copy the rack file, copy the shortcut, and then edit the shortcut to refer to the copy of the rack file.

Save As should be pretty easy, but multiformat goes straight to the architecture. One of the key features is the limitless work area based on the simple concept of a repeating background image. Abandon that and the usability suffers in my opinion.

Banana, something is wonky in the forum and it looks like your original post got lost! Ah, no I htink I hit edit instead of quote, or something. Not used to being a moderator. Sorry about that. Regarding the scaling across formats. Jsut get your background images on the same scale and you should be fine, I think.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
looks like your original post got lost!
No great loss.
Quote:
Regarding the scaling across formats. Jsut get your background images on the same scale and you should be fine, I think.
I'll have to look into that. I need to write a rack generator!
whyterabbyt
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being a bit pedantic, as well as completely unable to properly correlate model number with function without the aid of a chart,, can I suggest a few more explanatory names (and a couple of other corrections) for some of the Doepfer modules in the Library? Ive already changed them for myself.

incorrect model number
--------------------------
Doepfer_E_A-100 Standard VCO.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-110 Standard VCO.zip (Wrong model number)

inconsistent name style
---------------------------
Doepfer_E_A135 VCMix.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-135 VCMix.zip
Doepfer_E_A144 Morph Controller.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-144 Morph Controller.zip
Doepfer_E_A145 LFO.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-145 LFO.zip
Doepfer_E_A182 Switched Multiple.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-182 Switched Multiple.zip

duplicated between common style and inconsistent version
------------------------------------------------------------------
Doepfer_E_A143-2 Quad ADSR.zip (The more consistent Doepfer_E_A-143-2 Quad ADSR.zip seems to exist as well)

model number only, no description

Doepfer_E_A-101-1.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-101-1 Steiner Filter.zip
Doepfer_E_A-101-3.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-101-3 Vactrol Phaser.zip
Doepfer_E_A-106-1.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-106-1 Xtreme Filter.zip
Doepfer_E_A-106-6.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-106-6 XP 16 fold expander VCF.zip
Doepfer_E_A-108.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-108 6-48db Filter.zip
Doepfer_E_A-111 VCO.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-111 High End VCO.zip
Doepfer_E_A-114.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-114 Dual Ring Mod.zip
Doepfer_E_A-118.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-118 Noise and Random.zip
Doepfer_E_A-125.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-125 VC Phase Shifter.zip
Doepfer_E_A-129-3.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-129-3 Vocoder Slew Limiter.zip
Doepfer_E_A-130.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-130 Linear VCA.zip
Doepfer_E_A-131.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-131 Exponential VCA.zip
Doepfer_E_A-132-3.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-132-3 Dual Lin-Exp VCA.zip
Doepfer_E_A-134-2.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-134-2 Dual VC Crossfade.zip
Doepfer_E_A-136.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-136 Distortion-Waveshaper.zip
Doepfer_E_A-137-2.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-137-2 Wave Multiplier 2.zip
Doepfer_E_A-138a.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-138a Linear Mixer.zip
Doepfer_E_A-138b.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-138a Exp. Mixer.zip
Doepfer_E_A-138e.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-138e Quad Crossfade-Polarizer-Mixer.zip
Doepfer_E_A-140.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-140 ADSR.zip
Doepfer_E_A-143-1.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-143-1 Quad AD.zip
Doepfer_E_A-143-3.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-143-3 Quad LFO.zip
Doepfer_E_A-147.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-147 VC LFO.zip
Doepfer_E_A-149-1.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-149-1 Quantized-Stored Random Voltages.zip
Doepfer_E_A-149-2.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-149-2 Digital Random Voltages.zip
Doepfer_E_A-152.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-152 Voltage Addressed Switch - Shift Register.zip
Doepfer_E_A-154.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-154 Enhanced Sequencer Controller.zip
Doepfer_E_A-154.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-154 Enhanced Sequencer Controller.zip
Doepfer_E_A-155.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-155 Analog Sequencer.zip
Doepfer_E_A-156.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-156 Dual Quantizer.zip
Doepfer_E_A-160 Clock Div.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-160 Clock Divider.zip
Doepfer_E_A-161.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-161 Clock Sequencer.zip
Doepfer_E_A-162 Trig Del.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-162 Trigger Delay.zip
Doepfer_E_A-165.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-165 Trigger Modifier.zip
Doepfer_E_A-166.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-166 Dual Logic Module.zip
Doepfer_E_A-170.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-170 Slew Limiter.zip
Doepfer_E_A-175.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-175 Dual Voltage Inverter.zip
Doepfer_E_A-183-1.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-183-1 Dual Attenuator.zip
Doepfer_E_A-183-2.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-183-2 Offset-Polarizer.zip
Doepfer_E_A-187-1 DSP.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-187-1 VC DSP.zip
Doepfer_E_A-188-1_2048.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-188-1C 2048 stage BBD Module.zip
Doepfer_E_A-188-1_512.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-188-1A 512 stage BBD Module.zip
Doepfer_E_A-188-2.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-188-2 Tapped BBD Module.zip
Doepfer_E_A-189-1.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-189-1 BitCruncher.zip
Doepfer_E_A-190-3.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-190-3 Polyphonic MIDI interface.zip
Doepfer_E_A-190.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-190-1 MIDI interface.zip
Doepfer_E_A-196.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-196 PLL.zip
Doepfer_E_A-198.zip -> Doepfer_E_A-198 Ribbon Contoller.zip

Ive also submitted a couple of dozen missing Doepfer modules; stupidly though I named the first three or four 'A1xx-blah' rather than 'A-1xxx blah' as seems to be the 'consistent' way, which is a bit ironic.

"Did I spend $3000 on a modular synth just to later find out it's made with a bunch of digital junk? Isn't integrated circuits basically a digital component? How analog is my ANALOG modular synth, really? I feel betrayed right now"
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thumbs up Wow, thanks for all the contributed modules and for this list. I confess to having started this thing without much of a plan. The naming convention has evolved and one of the shifting parts of that is how wordy to make the zip file names. Since Doug made the file picker window resizable I've been more inclined to use descriptive names and not just numbers. Still, "Doepfer_E_A-109 Voltage Controlled Signal Processor.zip" is a bit much. I think I'd rename that one to "Doepfer_E_A-109 VC Signal Proc.zip."

I'll try to spend some time this weekend going over the Doepfer names and probably will revise the library layout to work better on smaller screens. The euro part of the collection has gotten huge. I suppose that's partly because the euro modules sizes vary so much and a planner helps you fill the racks without leftover spaces. I'd love to see some more activity in the other sections though.
whyterabbyt
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
Still, "Doepfer_E_A-109 Voltage Controlled Signal Processor.zip" is a bit much. I think I'd rename that one to "Doepfer_E_A-109 VC Signal Proc.zip."

you're quite right.

ive just added four more modules that I needed to be able to reproduce my existing system; two Doepfer modules I'd inexplicably missed the first time round, and the two Plan B filters I own.

Now to actually do some planning, for my intended move from 4x6U racks to 4x9U...

"Did I spend $3000 on a modular synth just to later find out it's made with a bunch of digital junk? Isn't integrated circuits basically a digital component? How analog is my ANALOG modular synth, really? I feel betrayed right now"
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've noticed a thin vertical line about 3/4 of the way to the right. Is this the 84hp line?

Drum Machines: TR-8 . Volca Beats .

New DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep.
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought so =o]

Drum Machines: TR-8 . Volca Beats .

New DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything
wwbjd
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

NM! Answered my own question. Nice piece of work!
flight
The Plague Bearer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow eek!

I just now read this thread, damn good work! And thanks to whomever made the foh zips!

I've always been a Java dork, so it's cool to see it being used like this. An idea:
The previous mentions of drawing patches directly in this app got me thinking about how to implement it. I haven't looked at your code yet (or if it is even available uncompiled), but how about adding an IO instance class to the Module class? The module should know how many IO it has, and each IO would store its location (relative to some point - say, bottom left corner - of the module panel image or whatever is the location point for the module on the rack), "plugged" boolean, possibly a "to" reference for the plug, and maybe a descriptive String. Then you could use those points to draw cords.

The data for the above could be added to the XML file - I assume these are parsed by the main program - so anyone could add them in.
To make the IO coordinates simple for anyone to add to the XML file, it would be easiest to just have a grid overlay the image and just select which square the jack lies in.

OK, I'll shut up now & go solder.
smile

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi thanks for the nice feedback. The cool thing is that the module zips are open, so anyone can add to the xml and do whatever they want with them. Bananaplug really took off with this idea, and he's done an awesome job. A patch program could be completely separate, or integrated. Either way. Rack Planner just got the ball rolling smile
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey flight,
If you were to come up with a scheme for storing the IO locations and an app for working with that stuff, I'd be interested in talking about web support, maybe a patch library. Lot's of issues come to mind (multi-format systems?). If your thinking of doing this let's talk before you get a lot of code written.
flight
The Plague Bearer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although I'd love to work on this, I doubt I have enough free time to devote to it. I can mull it over for a while though, and see what I can come up with. May I see the source code to get an idea of what would be needed to implement this?
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

pm'd
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks new version (1.0.7) of RackPlanner is now available. Added File->Open and File->Save As.

See first post of this thread for the RackPlanner.zip download link.

If you already have RackPlanner and you want to upgrade, just extract the file RackPlanner.jar from RackPlanner.zip and save it over your current one. Nothing else changed.

Doug
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

here is my design:a cross between your planner and my girlfriends photoshoping thanks to everyone for their help!
dingebre
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rack Planner looks like a very nice tool. Can I mix and match different rack formats? Euro mixed with Blacet, mixed with 1U full width, etc.?

David

[email protected]
[email protected]
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dingebre wrote:
Rack Planner looks like a very nice tool. Can I mix and match different rack formats? Euro mixed with Blacet, mixed with 1U full width, etc.?

David

Hi David, you can have multiple instances of Rack Planner running at the same time. You can save and manage racks and modules in separate areas. You can't however mix formats within a single Rack Planner instance.

You can support any rack format you can imagine, provided the module heights don't vary within the rack, and the rack widths don't vary within the rack. So 1U will work fine, and a full rack-width system (like Serge) will work. You just need a rack background image and module images. Rack Planner will scale the modules to fit the rack image height.

PM me if you need assistance.
Doug
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, I have just released a new version of Rack Planner (version 1.0.8).

Features:
1) Rack filename now appears on the title bar.
2) Module delete added to the menu and Ctrl+D. I found out that the DEL key was not working on Macs.
3) You can now edit the Rack Properties (scale, rows, cols, etc.) from within the program.

The last one is a huge improvement (and a lot of work), so don't hesitate to upgrade. I know some of you are on old versions, and there have been a lot of changes since the beginning (we're on the eighth release). See the first post of this thread for the upgrade link.

Doug
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yay for doug!!! nanners thank you sir!!! It's peanut butter jelly time!
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha ha, thanks. w00t
KNYST
hiding in the forest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In queue:

# Flight Of Harmony_F_Plague Bearer.zip
# BugBrand_F_PRC3A.zip
# BugBrand_F_DD3.zip
# BugBrand_F_CTL2.zip
# BugBrand_F_CTL1 v2.zip (the July version of this module)
# Livewire_E_Dual Cyclotron.zip

Mistakes d'oh!
# BugBrand_F_DD3.zip (wrong image)
# BugBrand_F_PRC1.zip (already up)
# BugBrand_F_ENV1.zip (already up)
# BugBrand_F_DD2.zip (already up)
# BugBrand_F_DD1.zip (already up)
# Livewure_E_Dual Cyclotron.zip (typo)

Sorry - I need to sleep...!

>> Three new Serge tracks!
authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

such a great utility for not only planing a rack but also rearranging a rack.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, I discovered that module zip files created on a Mac using the COMPRESS option would not load into Rack Planner properly. The modules would come up blank.

This problem has now been fixed and available for download.

Go here as usual, http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp

Please note we are now on revision 1.0.9. There are a lot of great improvements, so if you aren't on the latest version, please give it a try.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

can someone help me out with sorting the modules?

Ive downloaded all the euro modules into the euro_modules folder and everything was fine but since there was like 4023948 modules I went ahead and sorted each .zip file into respected folders INSIDE the euro_modules folder. For example all doepfer modules are in ./euro_modules/doepfer, harvestman modules are in ./euro_modules/harvestman etc etc...

but the folders dont show up when I go to add a modules. I imagine I have to edit one or more .xml file, but I have no idea what im doing.

any ideas?

thanks!
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi the program doesn't currently support module subfolders. All modules need to be in the directory specified by modulesPath in the rack file.

I suppose I could change this.
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i just wanted to stress how entirely wonderful and helpful this program has and continues to be for me. i would be lost in the modular maze without it and would gladly buy it if it weren't free. no person trying to compile their dream frankensynth should ever be caught planning without this program.

ok now, it would be nice to be able to have different formats in one rack. jus-sayin'

:dougcl:

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As someone who started using Rack Planner in the middle of the night last night: between the app itself and the support from Squiggletronics...wow! VERY nice.

Now one little feature request: maybe a warning when you quit without saving? very frustrating
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
the app itself and the support from Squiggletronics...wow! VERY nice.

The Squiggletronics part is my doing. A whole slew of mostly Dotcom format stuff was contributed today and I just added it to the library. If that was from you, thanks.
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

just want to say thx for this - i have only been using the online one but i cant do anything on my laptop when my train goes underground!!!!

now I can!

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
the app itself and the support from Squiggletronics...wow! VERY nice.

The Squiggletronics part is my doing. A whole slew of mostly Dotcom format stuff was contributed today and I just added it to the library. If that was from you, thanks.

Ah, you know I should have put 2+2 together from reading the posts to know who was behind it...but I was busy trying to grok how to use it all! Excellent job you've done to make it easy for people to contribute to the library while helping themselves. Very cool.

Yes, I added a bunch of MU stuff this morning. Sorry the images aren't better but I did the best I could with manufacturers' sites and PDFs.

Gordon
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Want to moderate a section of the Module Library? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Later this year, don't know when I'll get it setup, I'll be looking for people to be "moderators" for the different parts of the library. The moderators would review and accept/reject contributions left by the users of ModuleMaker, and could clean up and make more uniform the names of the modules already in the library. Nominations?

I have some other plans too and I think getting a few people on board to brainstorm with would be a good thing.
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

after using this and love it - the only thing i could ask for (if even possible in this format) is a floating window to select modules from instead of constantly having an 'open' dialog box.

sorry if this has been requested already - i didnt read through the whole thread. lazy today.

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

qu.one wrote:
after using this and love it - the only thing i could ask for (if even possible in this format) is a floating window to select modules from instead of constantly having an 'open' dialog box.

sorry if this has been requested already - i didnt read through the whole thread. lazy today.

Good idea. Not mentioned already. Thanks.
Doug
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dougcl wrote:
Doug

nice...

also, I noticed that when I save as JPG to a different directory, it still winds up saving into the RP directory. im currently on os x.5.8

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

qu.one wrote:
dougcl wrote:
Doug

nice...

also, I noticed that when I save as JPG to a different directory, it still winds up saving into the RP directory. im currently on os x.5.8

Ah, not surprised. I'm probably completely ignoring the path returned by the dialog. That's fixable. Thanks.
Braindrop
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Excuse the newb question, I'm just dipping my toe into modulars -- is there a 5U/MOTM rack image somewhere? 10U for a 19" standard rack, isn't it?

seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks, the program looks great!

B
essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Braindrop wrote:
Excuse the newb question, I'm just dipping my toe into modulars -- is there a 5U/MOTM rack image somewhere? 10U for a 19" standard rack, isn't it?

Good question. 8 spaces per 19" for an MU rack would be nice too.

I just use the Euro rack and ignore the holes.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi guys, the rack images and xml files are linked from this page:

http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/index.php

We have more formats supported in the library than there are rack xml files and rack images.

When I want a rack image, I just take a the smallest module in the format, and get a jpg of it. Edit the jpg so that it is all black or gray, and has the original holes only. Now use MS Paint or similar to copy and paste the module out as many times as needed to create the rack width you want. I usually put a light vertical line at the rightmost edge as an indicator of the rack width. Save that, and that's your rack image smile
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could have the site generate the rack images and xml files in software so that you could pick a format and pick how many rows and columns you want. I think they should be proportional to actual sizes of the different formats. Any suggestions for default scale or anything?
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Probably best to use whatever scale is most likely to be submitted as modules. If the rack is too small, the module images will always be scaled down to fit, and the results so far have not been great on image reduction.
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, Doug. I'm wondering how a fellow could lay out a Euro Planner and also a Frac Planner. I'm an XML Knucklehead. How does this work? Can you walk me through it? Holding my hand and all?
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think there already is a Frac option… and modules.
Kent
Large Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got the Frac Modules installed where my Euro Modules are and they come out smashed up. Just a couple of millimeters wide. I've moved them to their own folder and then they all come out as 1 module wide in size and blanked out in grey.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try looking here. There's some general explanation and links to the readme file and to folders where you can find rack images and XML files for the different formats.
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it all dependent on the rack, the HP settings etc. you would need to make sure the background is a Frack Rack. see below for some basic settings:

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You would have to modify the HP property in the XML of each frac module to estimate the frac module width in terms of euro HP.

For example, frac HP of one is something like 8 or 10 HP of euro.

You can either open each module zip, edit the module.xml, or I suppose you could go to banana plug's module maker with your frac module images, and just make them all again as euro modules (don't save them to the library!)

Doug
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, I just released an update to RackPlanner. We are now on version 1.1

Image quality on scaling has been fixed.

Right click and save this over your existing RackPlanner.jar file: RackPlanner.jar
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's an example of the new scaled image quality.

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, 1.2 is now available. SaveAs JPG now works with any directory.

If you haven't upgraded in a while, the latest version is much improved. Just copy RackPlanner.jar over your existing one.
KNYST
hiding in the forest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thumbs up
>> Three new Serge tracks!
dslocum
darwin's nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I started playing with RackPlanner about a month ago so I'm a newb, but couldn't find any MU / DOTCOM rack XMLs for studio or portable cabs. Am I missing something?
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"sounds like a scary and demented merry go round." - decaying.sine
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dslocum wrote:
I started playing with RackPlanner about a month ago so I'm a newb, but couldn't find any MU / DOTCOM rack XMLs for studio or portable cabs. Am I missing something?

Probably not. Some people have created background images, and some stuff is available here: http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/images/

But it's hit and miss whether what you need is there. If you can't find anything, do the following
1) Create a background image jpg and put it in the images subdirectory.
2) Create a subdirectory for your modules, and put all the modules in there.
3) Open an existing rack, delete all the modules out of it and save as a new rack.
4) Use Edit->Rack Properties to point to the background image and modules directory. Specify the correct HP for the rack. HP is the number of horizontal module spaces in your rack (must match whatever you did in the image).

Post the image and rack.xml in this subforum so others can use it smile
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dslocum wrote:

Your timing is real good!
I just installed RACK-O-MATIC on ModuleMaker

Let me know how that works out. nanners

If you want me to add more rack image formats PM me and I'll ask you for some measurements etc.

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OMG lol

Looks awesome. Maybe create a separate thread for this.
Petur
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone have a link to the complete zip of euro modules from http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/browse.php ?

The link at the top (to the zip containing all modules) seems to be broken and i'd prefer to not download each module one by one.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yikes. Sorry about that. I didn't know it was broken.

It's fixed now! 23.47MB of euro zips could take awhile.

Euro's gotten so big. Maybe we need some other way to pick modules for downloading.

Petur
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
Yikes. Sorry about that. I didn't know it was broken.

It's fixed now! 23.47MB of euro zips could take awhile.

Super! Thanks! Downloading right now.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

d'oh! Just fixed another broken thing in today's revised ModuleMaker. That's what I get for rushing it out the door. Nothing serious just a typo disabling essential functions.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So this is only for PC?
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
So this is only for PC?

not at all. it's java.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, I tried this today, but I could not get any Rack Image .jpgs to download for the Dotcom format. No issues with Euro, 5U, etc., but it wouldn't work for Dotcom.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/collections/Dotcom .zip

This is just the button at the top of the dotcom area.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Henfield: I noticed an out of date file. I replaced that, tried it, it worked.

dougcl: You're linking him to a big file of all the dotcom module zips but I think he was asking for a Rack-o-matic rack image to use in RackPlanner.

Henfield

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
Henfield: I noticed an out of date file. I replaced that, tried it, it worked.

dougcl: You're linking him to a big file of all the dotcom module zips but I think he was asking for a Rack-o-matic rack image to use in RackPlanner.

I appreciate the help! You are right, I am looking for a Rack-o-matic image. I may be doing something wrong, but it still does not work for me.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Turns out I was too stingy about handing out memory and the small test I did had enough but yours did not. It will now make a 50 space wide Dotcom without complaining and should avoid fatal errors if you ask for something too big but the numbers are not working out quite as I expected so I can't guarantee that.
Henfield

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
Turns out I was too stingy about handing out memory and the small test I did had enough but yours did not. It will now make a 50 space wide Dotcom without complaining and should avoid fatal errors if you ask for something too big but the numbers are not working out quite as I expected so I can't guarantee that.

A huge thank you!!! It works!!! I just need the Oakley MU modules added to the Library!!
essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Henfield wrote:
I just need the Oakley MU modules added to the Library!!

I've done a few, but perhaps I didn't make them public or they were rejected.

They're hard to do well because there aren't many straight-on shots of them.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone got this working on an iPad?

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer
krisp14u
Oakley4All!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Henfield wrote:

I Photographed and uploaded the whole lot this weekend just waiting for them to be processed
If anyone want the files PM or email me and I will send them over

Paul

www.krisp1.com
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
Has anyone got this working on an iPad?

Unfortunately Apple has decided to try to kill both Java and Flash. RackPlanner is written Java, and the Modular Planner is written in Flash. Neither can be legally run on the iPhone or iPad.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

krisp14u wrote:
Henfield wrote:

I Photographed and uploaded the whole lot this weekend just waiting for them to be processed
If anyone want the files PM or email me and I will send them over

Done. Sorry for the delay.

I do intend to farm this out to module moderators but I have to write some code for that and several things have higher priorities.
krisp14u
Oakley4All!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:

Done. Sorry for the delay.

I do intend to farm this out to module moderators but I have to write some code for that and several things have higher priorities.

Thank you very much for doing it so fast
you sir are a gentleman we're not worthy

Paul

www.krisp1.com
akrylik
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you want to make any size eurorack (not just a multiple of 84HP wide), then you can take the following rack image file:

euro_1HP.jpg

and use it with the below rack.xml. The <cols> tag is given in HP.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<rack>
   <properties>
      <scale>1.0</scale>
      <rows>4</rows>
      <cols>104</cols>
      <modulesPath>./euro_modules</modulesPath>
      <rackImageFilename>euro_1HP.jpg</rackImageFilename>
      <rackHP>1</rackHP>
   </properties>
   <modules>
   </modules>
</rack>

The above rack.xml is for the 12U 104HP gorillabox.
sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i got some zips from the module maker database and they all appear with gray faceplates and of the exact same width when i import them into the rack planner. any ideas what i can do to fix this?
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe you didn't put those zips where RackPlanner expects to find them. There's some talk about this in the readme. The XML file defining the rack has a line saying where the modules are.

Here's an excerpt from one of my rack files:

<properties>
<scale>1.0</scale>
<rows>3</rows>
<cols>3</cols>
<modulesPath>./modcanA</modulesPath>
<rackImageFilename>modcana_rack_126_551.jpg</rackImageFilename>
<rackHP>7</rackHP>
</properties>

In the same folder as my RackPlanner.jar is a folder named modcanA and that's where the zip files are. Other formats are in other folders next to that one, such as Euro, Frac, etc.
sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:bananaguitar:
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just downloaded this and got it working on an iMac

Looks great.

Where do I find all the images? There are a few folders of images, but not a whole lot.

When clicked on one of xml files my East West VST opened???!

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
I just downloaded this and got it working on an iMac

Looks great.

Where do I find all the images? There are a few folders of images, but not a whole lot.

When clicked on one of xml files my East West VST opened???!

The module library is here
http://squiggletronics.com/files/RackPlannerModules/browse.php

You can also get them from John Noble's eurorackdb.com.

Save the module zips intact into the appropriate subdirectory of the RackPlanner directory (don't unzip them). Have a look in the euro subdirectory to see what I mean.

Don't double click on the XML files. Double click on the jar file. Then use the file menu to open and save racks.

Welcome to RackPlanner!

Doug
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thx Doug! applause

dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi folks, I just released v1.3. You can now select multiple modules in the Add Module dialog.
sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice! Thanks for the update. Chugging Beers
qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

w00t w00t SlayerBadger!

i actually already had it open today and gonna DL the new version asap!

a trick for anyone who might want to open more than one layout at a time - just dupe the RackPlanner app as many times as you need layouts open Guinness ftw!

jln
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

qu.one wrote:
w00t w00t SlayerBadger!

A trick for anyone who might want to open more than one layout at a time - just dupe the RackPlanner app as many times as you need layouts open Guinness ftw!

Not sure I should thank you for letting me know I can plan two 12U at a time. :-)

On a more serious note, thanks for the trick. I'll can test two different config for my one and only system. *try to convince himself*
jln
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(deleting duplicated post)
RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice feature update, thanks dougcl.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FYI there are Serge files in the library now.
digital_steve
Muppet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe a dumb question... But iOS version on any horizon?
I'd certainly pay for the pleasure.

I think it means you have to frown when you play it.

causticlogic wrote:
Yeah, digital_steve spells "fun" with a capital FU...
jln
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some more experienced developers may correct me if I'm wrong but I think Java app are not allowed on iOS so I guess porting Rackplanner to iOS is far from straightforward to say the least.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Apple control freak trait makes it very unlikely. iOS is a closed proprietary system requiring the developer to pay a yearly subscription ($$) and be at the mercy of Apple's centralized approval process for apps. Remember, they decide for you.
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a technical problem. Apple legally forbids it. Something about "no applications that can host other applications." This is exactly what the Java JVM is.

I've gotten well into an Android port, but now I'm wondering if that was a good decision. They really hosed up the Android implementation of Java. There are whole new (unnecessary) class hierarchies that basically mean the code is completely different. The idea of using the JVM to support portable code was lost.

I think the answer is an online planner based on the module standard that RackPlanner established.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I think the answer is an online planner based on the module standard that RackPlanner established.

I'm in the midst of a big overhaul to ModuleLibrary and keeping an open mind about following up with a web based planner. In many ways I prefer the possibilities provided by the application + files approach of Doug's RackPlanner or Richy's work in progress but for certain situations, including closed platforms, a web app would be good. It would lean heavily on jQuery and an API to the new library.
digital_steve
Muppet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno anything about technical stuffs... I'd still pay for it if it ever happens.

Cheers and keep up the great work.

I think it means you have to frown when you play it.

causticlogic wrote:
Yeah, digital_steve spells "fun" with a capital FU...
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Two updates to the ModuleLibrary

Somehow in the move to version 2 I designed away important information like, where the heck does one get the RackPlanner application. So that's all right on the front page now. (hides)

The clump of thumbnails of recently added modules is now wired up like the search results are. Mouse over thumbnail to see full size image, click thumbnail for module details and download button. nanners
hydrophilos
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Single Serge modules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it possible to add single Serge modules to the rack planner?
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Serge modules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hydrophilos wrote:
Is it possible to add single Serge modules to the rack planner?

Yeah I think so. All the modules are up on squiggletronics. Let me know if you need help.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Somebody was asking elsewhere about individual Serge modules (not panels). I guess they want to recreate custom panels they already have. I could do that if somebody wants to cut up the images and give them filenames like the module names (to be used as Model in RackPlanner zip). PM me for details.[/i]
dougcl
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BananaPlug wrote:
Somebody was asking elsewhere about individual Serge modules (not panels). I guess they want to recreate custom panels they already have. I could do that if somebody wants to cut up the images and give them filenames like the module names (to be used as Model in RackPlanner zip). PM me for details.

I see. looks like the obelisk is already there as a 1HP single module. So yeah, just need jpgs to make modules in module builder and submit them to the library.
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The deal with Serge as individual modules is that it's a 1" increment and in a normal panel there is a half inch of dead space at each end of the 17" panel. The M class has 1/2" of dead space in each M panel (each 8" panel has 7 columns) plus the 1" lost to the obelisk. So the simplest thing is to deal with it as a 16" rack and ignore the dead space.

I suppose the format could be redefined as having a 1/2 inch increment but that's sort of weird and existing modules would have to be redefined, or perhaps HP could become fractional so you could put a 0.5HP blank on each end of your run of 16 1HP modules. Neither of those is ideal but I think I like the 2nd better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> RackPlanner All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 21

Jump to: