MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Post pics of your DIY setup!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Post pics of your DIY setup!
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Post pics of your DIY setup! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I noticed other sub-forums have this and although they have impressive systems in them, they just don't thrill me as much as seeing DIY stuff!
Now the search function couldn't find me a similar thread in Music Tech DIY so I thought why not?

I guess I'd better kick off.

This is where I'm at after about one and a half year of DIY. Please ignore the Tyme Sefari, not that I don't like it but anyway...

WHERE YOURS AT?!

Dear Mod,
If a similar thread does exist, or maybe this belongs in DIY Forum Challenge (though I don't know about that), please move it to there and I'll edit the nonsense out.
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i dont think we have done this yet - nice idea

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very nice systems guys! looks very productive. i'll post once i get my studio back in order.

falafelbiels: i like your tank. smile

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is my SDIY building zone. This is an older pic. I have two more of those big gray things filled with ICs now. My o-scope is on another desk. I am switching over to an L-shaped desk since it is a little bigger.

I have an ikea drawer thingy that I store PCBs and panels in. I have been collecting them while working on my skills.

Here is my at home etching setup in this thread.
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24244&highlight=etchi ng

I guess I don't have a lot of pics of my builds because most of them are at various stages of stuffing and wiring. I'll have to post a few when I get a little further.

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...soothing candle FTW.

Guinness ftw!

parasitk
I Play Loco Gigs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't have any good pics of my workspace at the moment, but here's my in-progress DIY synth (I've posted these around before):

Coppersynth, October 2010 by parasitk, on Flickr

Coppersynth patched by parasitk, on Flickr

Coppersynth patched by parasitk, on Flickr

I have the 292c clones and Mankato done. The Mankato doesn't work at the moment and I have no idea why. I'm in the middle of wiring the Living VCOs right now.

Next year I start a second row after I've moved and have my workspace all set up again! sad banana

dkcg wrote:
But in the end, it felt like I was playing WiiSoundMasterJedi.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It got stickied even! w00t For a minute I couldn't find it anymore huhuh...

Luka
I really love the live rig you're working on. The ultimate in SDIY or somewhere damn near!

Low-Gain
The Leman Russ or the Land Raider? The Land Raider is pretty DIY and belongs in the pic really. Too bad it will never be finished...

decaying.sine
That is ridiculously neat! My place looks like an outhouse. Get wiring man!

parasitk
That is ridiculously beautiful...
eek!
decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No kidding. So much wiring to do!

Another thing I added to the little work area was a true HEPA filter. It is awesome at sucking up the solder fumes. I basically solder right in front of it and don't have to open the window. I picked up the idea from a post here, I believe, and a recommendation on the filter by xart's post.

Coppersynth is unbelievably beautiful isn't it? Actually, I'm always impressed by all the amazing DIY panel styles. Pretty inspiring stuff.

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

decaying.sine: NOW THAT'S A CLEAN SPACE !! wow. i wish my benches could be that clean. >_<
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

haha same

mine become that clean about once per quarter and then they slowly become a landfill. good idea with the air filter. you would really need it in that space looking at the angle of the wall

i like to see that other people patch up their unfinished modules just to see what it looks like when in operation smile

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's an attic room and you are correct about the ceiling angle. The DIY desk I am switching to is beside the window in the same room, but that little filter sucks up everything even on the lowest setting. It's been a nice surprise and addition.

I do need to finish up my stuff so I can show off my lovely nice-racks.com burgundy MOTM 5U cabinet.

I have a matching cabinet that is modcan A format. I am going to do some panel designs for that one in anodized blue to match my MegaOhm built modules. Phi's got a great design style and I am going to DIY with that in mind.

sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought we had already done this, but I guess not! This is a few months old...

and the scary hole in my garage I put the stuff together...

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing synths is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
flickr cloud of sound touyube
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think we have done the workspace thing but not had a thread to show off DIY synths. here is one side of my workspace (the other side has a drillpress and a shelf full of components)

[/img]

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luke. Great curtains. David Lynch fan?

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

smile - i think some days i probably make as much sense at a lynch film

i got these curtains from an op shop for party decor but they were so nice they mostly lived in my house with the odd excursion once in awhile for special installations.

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
RF
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great idea for a thread - You all have great looking setups, but jeese sduck, that's a beautiful system..

Here's my modular a few months back - I got all the empty spaces filled with modules a week or two ago... But I still have a backlog of projects which may mean starting a new cab.

bruce

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this is a bit old but you get the idea

i wish i had coloured patchcords.............. d'oh!

DIY stuff

DIY Wigglers compilation album on Bandcamp
DIY Wigglers compilation album on CD from kunaki
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What is that thing in the bottom pic, Andrew?
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow, crazy setups. So far all my DIY modules are lying strewn about waiting for a case. I can't decide what kind of case I want to make, stained wood, tolex, I dunno...
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if i had the chance again i think i would have not made my big wood case
even though making that case was so satisfying

the angled mixer rack cases are the best as you can use them so many ways
you can sit them on bench vertical or horizontally - you can take them out of your studio - you can put your racks effects in there. so useful

(i was 100% influenced by spbaker here)

this is my gig rig now

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

holy shit AndrewF thats a sic set up. love the mannequins...didnt realize you had done those. seen some pix of em before i believe. very colorful!!!
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

falafelbiels wrote:
What is that thing in the bottom pic, Andrew?

it is recycled from a PKE studio mixer (as is most of that synth).
It is now a 20 stage 'binary-programmed' sequencer. Each column of push switches is wired to be an 8-bit selector.

The remaining 8 columns of push switches are used to set up programmable gate outputs from the Milton.

DIY stuff

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

im not sure if i have asked this before but how they hell do you wire stuff inside the mannequins? it must be hard to mount everything but to wire it then makes it seems impossible. do you slice them open first?

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

its a real shit trying to wire down in the crotch region......
basically made a door out of the back (same for the back of the head)
the boards are stacked and bolted all over the place

DIY stuff

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

we have put lights and piece of mirror inside them before and it was a nightmare - i was always blown away by how much sweat and tears (and swearing) it would have been to make your ones

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mostly swearing
and some blood

I still keep adding to Pinky, next is a VC sine/cosine generator

DIY stuff

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

andrewF wrote:
it is recycled from a PKE studio mixer (as is most of that synth).
It is now a 20 stage 'binary-programmed' sequencer. Each column of push switches is wired to be an 8-bit selector.

The remaining 8 columns of push switches are used to set up programmable gate outputs from the Milton.

Ah... of course... kind of thought so already...
fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my workbench (a little bit messy at this time, due to the back log):

and my instruments:

cheers,
matthias
www.modular.fonik.de
www.fonitronik.de
det3
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: The blockhaus Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's the skinny on the blockhaus. I segregate the lab into three zones: the ammo dump (parts + library), the solder saddle (workbench) and the imagination station (design/debug area). Here's an overview:

The ammo dump. I'd say excuse the mess, but it's a lab, not a manufacturing floor:

The solder saddle with red/green RoHS bins and cheapo hot air penis (pencil):

Finally, the imagination station. On the left part of the picture is the power/test bench with all the debug equipment including programmers, scopes, logic analyzers, test PC, etc. On the right is the design station which contains the workstation and enough room to keep a pad of paper or two around in case I want to go old school:

I forgot to mention the tardissynth is part of the test rig for now. Later I'll throw a proper rack frame with a QCR8 and a 3U eurorack in for testing modules.

Spanningtree
Loop free patching via 802.1d

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crazy stuff guys and great looking synths/labs! I wish I had more time to delve deeper into the DIY bit... looking at this thread makes me want to ask my boss/wife for more time off. nanners
Befacosynth
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not very good picture but ...

My first system

Second system much more portable. (Now I can take a plain with my baby without carrying 20 kilo of flightcase) Classic 5u are very nice but...

www.befaco.org
befacosynth((at))gmail.com
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fonik wrote:

Yeah I hadn't expected such a mess Matthias lol

det3 wrote:
I'd say excuse the mess, but it's a lab, not a manufacturing floor

Funny how people excuse themselves for their "mess"

here's mine, no excuses:

Befacosynth
That suitcase looks SUPERnice
jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm so jealous at you guys...........I love these DIY synths.

I can solder and know some electronics.
Yesterday I even finished a RCD from 4Ms

BUT......if it doesn't come with a faceplate.......it's a no go for me.....and almost every diy thingy comes without faceplates. waah

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jenamu6&search_type=&aq=f
My modular noises:
http://soundcloud.com/jenamu6
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll do that faceplate for you Jean.
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

falafelbiels wrote:
fonik wrote:

Yeah I hadn't expected such a mess Matthias lol

hehe

i NEVER had such a clean space to work since i'm into soldering.
must surch for pics from my old appartment oops
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my very little workspace from the old appartment.
here i soldered my modular from 2006-2009.
it was the space i used to make music in my pre-modular/DIY time
edit: parts where on the floor in bags. some in boxes........DIY hell

now i'm diving into DIYing radio controlled sailplanes. we do DLG.
the mess is unspeakable. Every room not this shit again lol
nervous_circuits
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luka wrote:
if i had the chance again i think i would have not made my big wood case
even though making that case was so satisfying

the angled mixer rack cases are the best as you can use them so many ways
you can sit them on bench vertical or horizontally - you can take them out of your studio - you can put your racks effects in there. so useful

(i was 100% influenced by spbaker here)

this is my gig rig now

awesome luka, I was thinking about using one of those mixer cases! Looks great!

WTB: A-148 Dual S&H, Expert Sleepers ES-5, MFB-501, Roland System 100m, Boss RSD-10, Boss RPS-10, Yamaha FX500/SPX90
Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm embarrassed to be posting this. not this shit againnot this shit again

Apartment Workshop. IT'S A MESS!!!

Last edited by Low-Gain on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bricks
paper kettle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coming soon....

schmidtc
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We have a SDIY meetup twice a month here in Boston. Anyone in town should drop in if interested. Lots of pics/info on the blog.

[/url]
photon
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome thread.
I love looking at other peoples workspaces and studios. I'll post some pictures of my shop as soon as I shovel it out. I'm in the middle of building a new workbench and things are a bit upside down.
mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eeeesh oops

mome rath soundcloud
sgt. beefsteak mahoney soundcloud

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. As is often the case, all I need to do is publicly shame myself then take a break.
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should get some parts.

eek!

mome rath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

russma wrote:
You should get some parts.

eek!

I should get something done waah

mome rath soundcloud

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. As is often the case, all I need to do is publicly shame myself then take a break.
skweeegor
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the buns towel.

edit: and the lava lamp lamp
negativspace
Manhattan Analog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

skweeegor wrote:
edit: and the lava lamp lamp

+1

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The modules aren't DIY, but the cases are wink

terrafractyl
Fractal Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

heres my 60% DIY setup at the moment.

and the associated mess that comes and goes... a thoroughly unprofessional looking workbench haha

zthee
Panelhöna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I need a wider lens. w00t

Information regarding the Two Thousand Six Hundred DIY project - > http://www.thehumancomparator.net

_

"Oh Batman, why you got to be so heteronormative?".
magman
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Time to Join the fray, with yet another untidy workbench:

Which is helping to build this synth, amongst others:

This is less than half of the MOTM style modular I'm building, which currently runs to over 5 of these cabinets.

Last but no means least, the reason for my username:

You are looking at complete or virtually complete collections of Elektor, ETI, Practical Electronics, Maplin Electronics, E&MM, Sound on Sound, Future Music, The Mix, Computer Music, 45 years worth of Wireless World and a large collection of Everyday Electronics, amongst others. By the way, this is less than half of my collection, which currently stands at over 9000 magazines and counting.

Regards

Magman
fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

magman wrote:
You are looking at complete or virtually complete collections of Elektor, ETI, Practical Electronics, Maplin Electronics, E&MM, Sound on Sound, Future Music, The Mix, Computer Music, 45 years worth of Wireless World and a large collection of Everyday Electronics, amongst others. By the way, this is less than half of my collection, which currently stands at over 9000 magazines and counting.

eek!

cheers,
matthias
www.modular.fonik.de
www.fonitronik.de
Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fonik wrote:
magman wrote:

eek!

+1

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, wow
mome rath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

daaaaayum Gina

mome rath soundcloud

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Adam-V
Count Modula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Magman or madman???

Nice collection. There's some great synth circuits in amongst that lot if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers,
Adam-V

magman
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Adam-V wrote:
Nice collection. There's some great synth circuits in amongst that lot if my memory serves me correctly.

I've catalogued a lot of the Synth circuits in a spreadsheet for a few of these magazines.

In the long run, I plan to set up a Web site with lots of information for these magazines, front covers, contents pages and a searchable database of articles being part of this plan. If I can sort out some copyright issues, scans of the electro music articles is on my wishlist, but copyright is a thorny issue though. I've scanned 3500 front covers so far though, only another 5-6000 to go MY ASS IS BLEEDING

My other hobby is building synthesisers, not the other way round. Mr. Green

Regards

Magman
Adam-V
Count Modula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sue I'm not the only one who will look forward to seeing that website!

we're not worthy

Cheers,
Adam-V

nuckabean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa the idea of scanning 9000 magazines makes me shiver
Dego
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nuckabean wrote:
whoa the idea of scanning 9000 magazines makes me shiver

MY ASS IS BLEEDING eek!
kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see some use the blown plastic white tables used for workstations. I've found them to add a source of static charge. I've moved to a wooden top bench desk. Do you see this? A good static mat and wooden chair like you have is a good idea.

I like to use the mini drawer boxes too. Sometimes they can be a pain to find things in without labels though.

mome rath wrote:

eeeesh oops

videos
ModularGrid
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my diy synth setup in situ doing it's thing smile

i was lucky enough to have my first ever live performance & vj set in the alex grey cosm tent @ rainbow serpent festival last weekend. it was very exciting to be surrounded by such amazing art while presenting my own. a great environment for drone and visuals

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this thread has the best contents of muff i have ever seen. i feel ashamed to have not noticed it earlier. gems. here's my wiener of a log cabin:

the last one is the lady's space but i like the pic and we sometimes use it for photos so i thought i'd share.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

re:Luka
nice one
wish i could have been there
w00t

here's a pic of my stuff at DREAM-ING 3.

DIY stuff

Last edited by andrewF on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dude wrote:

are those pads touch controllers??
I have one pulled from some lab gear, can you introduce me to a schematic? Or just a simple voltage divider arrangement is good enough?

DIY stuff

dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

they are force sensing resistors. i make em in little boxes as you see. they are passive and so much fun with the modular or pedals. pass audio or cv or whatever. i usually put a fixed voltage through to accomplish x task.
FSR

i have the boxes for sale in my sig and can do a little custom stuff with them, of course diy people don't need my sales spam, sorry.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

cheers, thats what i've got.
maybe i'll stick it somewhere strategic on Pinky

DIY stuff

dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

andrewF wrote:
cheers, thats what i've got.
maybe i'll stick it somewhere strategic on Pinky

you are amazing man

nottt
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

applause
what a beauty.

cheers,
matthias
www.modular.fonik.de
www.fonitronik.de
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

weclome nottt
nice setup SlayerBadger!

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi nottt

please tell us about your synth(s?)

DIY stuff

nottt
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

that are my serial DIY synths

check my page for details - http://vtol.tk
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nottt wrote:
that are my serial DIY synths

check my page for details - http://vtol.tk

AVG doesn't like your link

DIY stuff

nottt
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

what is "AVG"?

I dont have any problems with this link))) - works great from hear!

try this one - http://samoletuvvp.narod.ru/vto/index.html (miror)
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AVG is anti-virus, keeps blocking vtol.tk
the mirror site works

eek! some really beautiful synths applause
and so many!!!

DIY stuff

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my set up...with the start of my 2011 builds...

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nottt
Well there's something a little bit different looking. Nice!
russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@Rico: nice 'scope!
terrafractyl
Fractal Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow nottt

thats some amazing looking stuff right there, and the modules all sound like nothing I've ever heard of woah

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thanx Russ, 10 bux at the local swap. It looks straight out of "1000 Leagues Under the Sea"
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this thread is too awesome
nottt
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thanx everybody for kind words
active
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i can vouche for nott! i did sound for ya at bent fest last year. killer stuff my friend!
LoFi Junglist
Wired for sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's my DIY Setup, getting ready for 2011 projects.

Besides the usual fuzzpedals for mates i hope to get some prototypes up and running of Eurorack mods to sell (my dream is to have a small business making these); Voltage Quantiser, Digitaly controlled Analog Function generator, Digitaly controlled Analog Universal filter and an 8x8 switching Matrix.

My CRO recently died, so I'm stuck using that handheld UT81B; absolutly worthless as an oscilloscope, and the worst $100 bucks I've spent (got it second hand)
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i just sold my scope and was checking those things out
thanks for the tip

i think i might go for a USB job

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm messy:

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

messy?

... & thats the sit down bench where you can do stuff,
next to that is the 'real' mess!!
rosch
roadkill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh a benjolin!
Celtic Peasant
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

parasitk wrote:
I don't have any good pics of my workspace at the moment, but here's my in-progress DIY synth (I've posted these around before):

Words escape me ..... we're not worthy !!

parasitk
I Play Loco Gigs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Celtic Peasant wrote:
parasitk wrote:

Words escape me ..... we're not worthy !!

w00t Thanks!

dkcg wrote:
But in the end, it felt like I was playing WiiSoundMasterJedi.
ragingmouse
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eek! eek!
oh my lord....
love love

My workspace is nothing compared to some of you guys...wow!!! we're not worthy
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pictures or it doesn't even exist!
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

more messy

DIY stuff

Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My humble mess/set up.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys really need to get organized hihi
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You say your setup is messy?

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

all that shit for just ONE suitcase!!!
Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah but that lampshade really ties the room together!
LoFi Junglist
Wired for sound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dude is that your bed?
questionable
not cleared for takeoff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love messy workspace threads. Here's mine.

eat the kids first

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LoFi Junglist wrote:
Dude is that your bed?

guest bed hihi
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey guys, remember this thread is as much about the results of your work as it is about your messy workspaces. I like to see DIY systems.
eat the kids first

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

falafelbiels wrote:
Hey guys, remember this thread is as much about the results of your work as it is about your messy workspaces. I like to see DIY systems.

crappy cellphone pic of my half complete suitcase!!!

All I have left to do is mount the rails to the top half and it will be pretty much done!!! applause

nottt
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eat the kids first

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

now THAT is cool as fuck! Info?
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nottt
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
now THAT is cool as fuck! Info?

that was my setup for performance couple days ago)))

some more shots and video are on my page - http://samoletuvvp.narod.ru/vto/03032011.html
jbartee
special stage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this was my setup for a show on Sunday night. There were 4 acts but I got there early and totally hogged the stage - sorry razz
as you can see i'm a real crowd pleaser!
The track is not a recording of the show, but a recording of the patch I setup in the afternoon, made notes and set up something similar whilst playing. Its quite similar, lashings of SD card player, zeitgeist, Serge 73 VCF, hellfire modulator, CGS wavetable, CGS CMOS VCF in series.
[s]http://soundcloud.com/nonlinearcircuits/lot[/s]

DIY stuff

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Do you patch that all up in-situ andrew?

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i set up four basic patches before starting, let them roll for a while, then started patching 'freestyle' hihi

Usually i like to start with a blank canvas and see where it ends up (often some combination of the Jerkster and a CGS Steiner)
but this was just 30 minutes so decided to give myself a head start.

Notice i stayed far away from the tube-synth, there's plenty of bitey voltages lurking within those big panel holes

DIY stuff

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome rig Andrew SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
does the Library Serge still have an open back?

My -not-quite-DIY-but-I-mess-with-everything-so-it-kinda-counts-kinda- set-up;

While it was uploading my BugBrand CTL-1 arrived MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yep the librarySerge is still open, still to install a few more boards - this morning it is getting a vari-BW VCF, VCFQ, real ring mod, early Serge ring mod and two DC mixers.
gotta another gig tomorrow, very cool, the guys running it have a record lathe, so the show is recorded live to vinyl and the vinyl is given to the performer.

Your synth is looking good, love all the coloured nanas.
I would love to hear that LOUD
SlayerBadger!

DIY stuff

sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are you meaning by this... LibrarySerge? Is that some sort of code name for an old style 1 inch grid serge?
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing synths is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hihi
the panels are made from discarded library shelves with 1 inch spacing and early Serge style graphics
Think 'librarySerge came from DGTom, its better than 'Mod#4' i originally called it.

Basically 1 shelf = 4 Serge panels

DIY stuff

Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nottt and AndrewF, amazing work
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jbartee wrote:

this is such a beautiful synth-diy photo, nicely sums up the whole deal.
the only improvement could be if something was exploding or burning when the photo was taken.

DIY stuff

sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

too neat
kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first 5 finished modules of my modular :

Zeitdehner
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow...that's what I call a nice first post on here thumbs up
mome rath

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kupfer_m wrote:

those look great, good job

mome rath soundcloud

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow Kupfer M that is seriously beautiful. Nice job. Welcome to the forum...
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kupfer_m

Waaaaaaaaaah welcome man! Trying to make an impression huh?

w00t
Adam-V
Count Modula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very nice work kupfer_m.

Cheers,
Adam-V

kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the kind words!

I really enjoy building stuff.

Here a few of my other builds :

Weird Sound Generator :

FF-clone

Tube distortion I designed:

Tube amplifier I build some years ago:

Zeitdehner
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Man, that tube amp is insanely beautiful...I guess the unit next to it has the controls hmmm.....

is there a place where I could see the complete system ?
do you by any chance want to sell it ?

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really great designs....'specially the amp love

DIY stuff

kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zeitdehner wrote:
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Man, that tube amp is insanely beautiful...I guess the unit next to it has the controls hmmm.....

is there a place where I could see the complete system ?
do you by any chance want to sell it ?

Yes, there also a preamp!

At the moment the system is in storage, have to build some new speakers first.
Nope, I'm not going to sell it Mr. Green
frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kupfer_m wrote:

Looks great! How deep is your case? I just made a bracket for my 4072 VCF. Unfortunately the bracket wasn't wide enough so I have the board pointed longways back which makes it about an inch too deep for my standard Doepfer case. I have a 220mm deep Elby rack (for the sake of deep DIY modules) so I probably won't make a new bracket. Just curious what you ended up doing.

kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

frozenkore wrote:
kupfer_m wrote:

Looks great! How deep is your case? I just made a bracket for my 4072 VCF. Unfortunately the bracket wasn't wide enough so I have the board pointed longways back which makes it about an inch too deep for my standard Doepfer case. I have a 220mm deep Elby rack (for the sake of deep DIY modules) so I probably won't make a new bracket. Just curious what you ended up doing.

I think my racks are also minimun 220mm deep. They are from an old PA-system with eurocard (100mm x 160mm) modules in them.
I have space enough for the PCB's.
frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kupfer_m wrote:
I think my racks are also minimun 220mm deep. They are from an old PA-system with eurocard (100mm x 160mm) modules in them.

Cool, yea I just made my bracket yesterday:

Oh and the tube stuff is amazing!

kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

frozenkore wrote:
kupfer_m wrote:

Cool, yea I just made my bracket yesterday:

Oh and the tube stuff is amazing!

That's an impressive braket! Mine are just 2 little L-shaped pieces of aluminium. The pcb is mounted with only 2 screws...
frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks! I used one of these. Drilled the holes for the standoffs and used a deep throat punch (like this), Harbor Freight apparently no longer sells, for the pot and jack holes.
sanders
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are you using for the rails on this case? Is this a commercial product that someone sells, or just something from the hardware store?

I've been fuddling around with a similar case housing and have some wooden supports that I cut, but I feel like I'd be much better off with aluminum rails.

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
falafelbiels wrote:

crappy cellphone pic of my half complete suitcase!!!

All I have left to do is mount the rails to the top half and it will be pretty much done!!! applause

eat the kids first

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

cut down vector rails from mouser.com

TS800 iirc
Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dingleberry:

are you planning on adding a utility strip in that bottom empty space in your case? I ask because if you mount the vectors flipped over there is another beveled trace that you could mount an aluminum L-bar to easily. From there you could have mults, attenuators, switches, etc... in the L-bar.
kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finished some more modules :

eat the kids first

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi5 wrote:
dingleberry:

are you planning on adding a utility strip in that bottom empty space in your case? I ask because if you mount the vectors flipped over there is another beveled trace that you could mount an aluminum L-bar to easily. From there you could have mults, attenuators, switches, etc... in the L-bar.

no, going to put 2 more rails there to fill the space.
jarvis
concerned with insignificances

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nice panels kupfer_m!
iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kupfer_m: That's really beautiful. You use lazertran for the panel graphics?
KNYST
hiding in the forest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nice, kupfer

any chance of a larger photo?
(link would do fine)

>> Three new Serge tracks!
kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

iopop wrote:
kupfer_m: That's really beautiful. You use lazertran for the panel graphics?

Thanks!

For the panel I use the toner transfer method. Works fine!
kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KNYST wrote:
nice, kupfer

any chance of a larger photo?
(link would do fine)

Here's a larger picture!
Godric
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: The Jubilee Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's mine

Godric
KNYST
hiding in the forest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thanks, kupfer_m cool

nice one Godric thumbs up

>> Three new Serge tracks!
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Godric

That's a real nice one, what is all of that?
kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Godric,

That's impressive!
Yes, tell us more.
Maybe some detailed pics?
werock
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now I can see why Rapid are out of those black knobs...
Godric
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: The Jubilee Extension Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is my Jubileeproject. Enjoy:

Godric
Godric
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those are all Oakley modules. Apart from the sequencers which should be pretty recognisable cool

Godric
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very nice looking. Those sequencers sure make a system grow fast!
SMS303
Tha BABELFISH Wiggler...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Jubilee Extension Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Godric wrote:
This is my Jubileeproject. Enjoy

jawdrop awesome! we're not worthy
Are the panels DIY too?

http://nl.electrobel.org/SMS303, https://soundcloud.com/sms303, http://www.mixcloud.com/SMS303/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/sms303/
Godric
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Depends how you define DIY.

I modified Thomas White's designs for the sequencers. In both cases more or less all I kept where the elliptical arrangements of the knobs (which makes so much sense for an ostinato generator). The MFOS I rearranged even the circular arrangement as I was using dual concentric knobs, which allowed me to give new meaning to Thomas's iconic "coarse/fine" legend. I also used a single on-off-on switch instead of the separate forward/back switches on the MFOS. There are a number of other changes. The Oakley modules I simply took Tony Allgood's panel designs and modified them for my colour-scheme (blue with no in-fill) and with the money saved from that added scales to the knobs.

The power control and multiples strips in the lower part are all mine.

Then some dude in Berlin milled them for me. So not a huge DIY element I suppose.

But still unique.

Godric
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The case and panels were built from found and recycled materials. Only one panel left on this little beast then it's on to my next major project. It's certainly not the best looking build of all time but it was my first experience working with metal and wood, so I guess it was a giant learning experience.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice stuff Valis. very conscious...
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks! It was a long time coming!
Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dig it valis

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPalebluedot
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks again. I'm always kind of intimidated by people's beautiful projects and panels. I'll post some vids at some point.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

valis wrote:
Thanks again. I'm always kind of intimidated by people's beautiful projects and panels. I'll post some vids at some point.

Well it's a great style, conscious and good looking...
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

valis wrote:
The case and panels were built from found and recycled materials.

It looks like an excellent synth and especially cool to be made from recycled materials.
I think using recycled parts is a bit of an extra challenge but you end up with a unique device.

DIY stuff

analog604
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Post pics of your DIY setup! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falafelbiels,

Thanks for sharing that.

You have what appears to be a cozy space. I imagine you have positive workflow there in the diy soundlab.

I'm thinking about ways to implement a small modular that I haven't built yet into a limited space and yours and others have given some inspiration.

cheers
J
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welcome analog64!

Hah I'm currently moving out of that place. new pics in a month or so. Let's hope for more coziness...

Keep us posted on the progress OK?
analog604
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks falafelbiels, and good luck with the move.

There is much inspiration for DIY here and.. hopefully I'll be able to help out with that at some point.

I've seen some of these synths on a few youtube videos, jaw dropping electronic goodness...

Anyhow I just put an order in for a few modules from Oakley and MFOS to get something into motion.

a little background from me
The gear that I had DiY build over the past 6 years are mic/guitar pre-amps, compressors/limiters, gtr pedals, midibox controller, and mixer stuff.. but not so much for recording as for processing sound and synths.

Bench/build pics here :: update, MFOs modules arrived and I built some of them out over the weekend with the beginnings of a MIDIBox CV :
http://analogaccess.com/pics_pics/

many projects from Prodigy Pro/Group DIY forums; great bunch of guys to learn from.

Dunno why it hadn't occurred to me until this year to build a modular, other than not having too much space left to put it.

oh and... an img of DiY stuff from 2008, I imagine synth modular stuff next to it:

cheers
J

falafelbiels wrote:
Welcome analog64!

Hah I'm currently moving out of that place. new pics in a month or so. Let's hope for more coziness...

Keep us posted on the progress OK?

Last edited by analog604 on Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that's all gorgeous looking...
Blue Lantern
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is my Modular Synth and my new smaller Euro FOrmat.

AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You DIY folk are crazy! I'm so impressed by the skill, originality and beauty of much of this stuff, especially Parasitk's copper synth. The best I can do with a soldering iron is manage to avoid burning myself whilst giving myself brain damage with my old lead solder.
whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Lantern wrote:
Here is my Modular Synth and my new smaller Euro FOrmat.

Is this strictly DIY, or is it available somewhere as a kit/package deal thingy? Looks quite interesting.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

running out of compliments here...
zthee
Panelhöna

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Lantern Wow! Nice looking panels! I especially like the red and blue legend, great job! thumbs up

Information regarding the Two Thousand Six Hundred DIY project - > http://www.thehumancomparator.net

_

"Oh Batman, why you got to be so heteronormative?".
Adam-V
Count Modula

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's some mighty nice work Blue Lantern.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Blue Lantern
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks. Yes it is all DIY.

The panel was made using a Laminator and then sticking it on the ALuminum panel with LOCKTITE Glue Spray via the Ray Wilson Technique.

More info on the Individual modules can be found HERE

When I order something if I happen to have a fresh stock I can sell a few PCB's for DIY. If stuff is running low I need it to fund the next batch of restock.
Blue Lantern
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After seeing some of the setups in here I decided to rebuild the Euro Rack Cab. I did not want to spend too much thought into it. With one visit to Lowes USA I found pre-cut wood (Poplar) that I simply just glued and screwed together. Now I have more then enough room to fill and thrill

analog604
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

cool nice work, Blue Lantern!

I'm still trying to figure out which way to go for a rack. I like the idea of having it be wood, but I'm no expert at woodwork.

What is that module on the lower right, is that a 60-Hz sinewave oscillator?

: )

-J
Blue Lantern
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a kill yourself module, you patch it in and flick the switch.

Nah That's to add a wallwart for my Midi to CV or when i use Pedals.
analog604
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Lantern wrote:
That's a kill yourself module, you patch it in and flick the switch.

Nah That's to add a wallwart for my Midi to CV or when i use Pedals.

Yeah I figured it was a convenience outlet, with the creation of an infernal machine being an option.
auftauchend
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hi just thought after month of lurking in the dark i should show you mine..

just finished building the case, multiplex wood, nothing fancy. just bananafied the whole synth and rebuild it (24 modules) into eurorack format. whole lotta work it was!
i didnt spent too much time designing the panels.. before i silkscreened everything with superb results, but it took way too much time...now i didn´t care.
i designed the case quite big to have some space for new modules.

i am currently making knobs...and i´m asking if maybe i´m taking the diy too far.. but its just so much fun!!!
greetings to all
alex

a 4x8 channel mixer module..high density wiring

hmm..now that i see the photos, i should maybe have spent more time on the panels...
greetings to all
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Naaah man it looks great, lots of character! Making your own knobs actually does cross a line, see a doctor will you? And while we are on the subject; I really enjoy lurkers coming out in this here thread and I wonder what more beautiful surprise projects will be bestowed upon us here. Can't wait to see!

And welcome Alex, what are all those circuit in there? Spill the beans...
Adam-V
Count Modula

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isn't this thread meant for showing off your messy workspaces? There's build gloat thread where you can flaunt your finished builds.

Cheers,
Adam-V

auftauchend
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hahaa no doctor thanks..with roughly 110 knobs its really a money question. and "making" means cutting a broomstick. works surprisingly well.
the modules are: 4x vco, two on one faceplate.dual ringmod, dual sample/hold,some tools like inverters,offsets, slew,...,stepsequencer,clocksequencer+divider, 3x vca,3x adsr, 4 lfos, steiner/parker filter, noise.
this is all curetronic stuff. matthias from curetronic helped me a lot at the beginning and he is a great guy too who -to my ears- produces great stuff.
also in there the 4x 8ch mixer and 2x th. white lpg. i need two more of those...

so on every faceplate are 2-3 modules

aah and the doepfer quantizer + pll. mfb midi interface.

so far a quite "traditional" setup for tonal/melodic work. i plan to build more stuff to twist/bend/create gates and cvs, like logic, comparators, vcs and so on to have more "controlled" chaos and ways to experiment
glad you like it! i do too! the thing sounds great by the way Rockin' Banana!
auftauchend
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oups.. my english vocabulary is pretty limited. i didn't know what 'gloat'means...but i looked it up , and, yes, maybe i am ' gloatin' a bit..
oops
so yes, sorry ,its the wrong place for this. i will try to post a picture of my messy workbench tomorrow, mine is in a state just perfect for this threat
btw great builts i did see in here! truly inspiring stuff
Adam-V
Count Modula

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi auftauchend,

Please don't take my comments as being directed personally at you. I was just saying that this thread had deviated from its original intent.

You have a nice looking modular by the way!

Cheers,
Adam-V

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welllll, I actually started this thread for showing off DIY systems, just like in the various formats sub forums "show your XX system here" threads. One sees a lot of DIY modules in the gloat thread, but hardly ever (semi-) complete systems. Keep the messy workspace pics coming though, and gloating is promoted here as well...

You may want to try the Ian Fritz designs for the CV mangling, Alex.
Adam-V
Count Modula

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I stand corrected.

Carry on...

Cheers,
Adam-V

auftauchend
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

absolutely no problem adam-v
thanks for the advice, those fritz designs do look good and some of them quite easy to do also..i was having a look at those chaos circuits. although i like the idea of patching chaotic systems without dedicated modules that produce chaotic cv or gate..well that sure is sth for another thread. but i think that is why i am attracted by the cgs serge stuff. i think i need more tools like the dusg, vc lfos and so on. thats the problem with big cases..all the empty space you need to fill.
but the soldering iron is still warm from the stuff i showed you. so first i have to make some music and test it on a stage, because playing live is what i enjoy the most with my modular.
good night
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Adam-V wrote:
I stand corrected.

Carry on...

Cheers,
Adam-V

at ease thumbs up
kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm too anal to have my workspace messy for long. I just finished a few builds and straightened up a bit. I hope this doesn't disappoint the real DIY'ers here. I've been away from building circuitry for decades and am just now getting "back-in-the-saddle-again".

A corner of a back bedroom with a full king-size bed for crashing after hours of ironing. Humble and cozy.

videos
ModularGrid
eat the kids first

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

super nice!
LoFi Junglist
Wired for sound

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is that an Owon5022?

Been using mine for a couple of months now, and its niiiiice.
kindredlost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LoFi Junglist wrote:
Is that an Owon5022?

Been using mine for a couple of months now, and its niiiiice.

Yep. It's a good deal for the dough but Rigol makes one for less money with a faster sample rate. waah This Owon does fine for what I need with synth work though.

I actually still like my BK Precision 2120 better for most stuff. When doing digital timing troubleshooting at work (CNC machine service) the analogue scopes are better at detecting RF interference and stray transient noise. They don't respond to everything. Digital can be too fast unless you set it up for hold recording. When diagnosing boards on a bench the digital scopes rule, but for whole system analysis in the field I like the analogues.

videos
ModularGrid
LoFi Junglist
Wired for sound

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kindredlost wrote:
Yep. It's a good deal for the dough but Rigol makes one for less money with a faster sample rate. waah

That's got a smaller screen thumbs up . I was considering the faster sampling rates, but i won't be working with RF anymore, just audio, so i thought it was fine.

Now that people know that you fix CNC systems you going to get heaps of hassling emails to get CNCDIY 3020 machines working hihi

... Mostly from me d'oh!
Kobold
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

parasitk wrote:

Coppersynth, October 2010 by parasitk, on Flickr

Wow, that copper is sexy as fek! Just browsing through this thread and that really caught my eye.
bridechamber
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a fantastic thread -- very inspirational!

Andrew, I remember seeing your dummy years ago on the web and being completely awed by it. That's what it's all about!!!!!

And the coppersynth, and everyone else's.... so beautiful.

And you'll never get a picture of my bench! hihi

bridechamber
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh wait, there are another nine pages..... droooooollllll............
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bridechamber wrote:

And you'll never get a picture of my bench! hihi

Oh yes we will!
XCenter
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

12HU of my DIY:

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this looks goooood. will i be able to take a look at it next weekend? or even put my hands on it?

cheers,
matthias
www.modular.fonik.de
www.fonitronik.de
XCenter
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi Matt,

sure, HK11 was my deadline to get some finished boards hidden behind the panels. And I ran out of time finally. No VCPS running flawless and paneled, both VCRingMods running but not paneled. VCSwitches unfinished... waah
HK12 will see an exclusive Fonitronik rig. Promised. oops

jooks
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This thread is fantastic! So many awesome builds screaming goo yo

@auftaschend I just love your frontpanels and diy-style!

@XCenter BEAUTIFUL w00t

Here is my workplace and some built and in process diy panels. Not very original but much fun:-)

kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's mine with my partner in crime enjoying a Combichrist lullaby...

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is a great picture ! lol
Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jooks, that serge case with the ply-wood sides is lovely. Is it custom?
Dego
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jooks, I wish I had a basement to. Great looking panels. Makes me jealous... Guinness ftw!
Celtic Peasant
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Jubilee Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Godric wrote:
Here's mine

Godric

Cool Godric thumbs up! Awesome looking set up. Is the keyboard DIY as well?

Cheers,
Zoie

jooks
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pfurmel wrote:
Jooks, that serge case with the ply-wood sides is lovely. Is it custom?

Thanks! It´s going to be a folding case like the buchlas when I have 3 panels. There´s some drawings here at muffs for a similar case.

@Dego, yes the basement is super! I can recomend moving up north for cheaper access to a basement of your own thumbs up
analog604
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow some great work area and completed stuff in here!

Godric- sweet cozy setup and I like the all blue panel. Is that engraved?

Jooks those are great builds and I appreciate the organization you have. : )

pic to go into build thread at some point..
-J
Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

auftauchend wrote:
hahaa no doctor thanks..with roughly 110 knobs its really a money question. and "making" means cutting a broomstick. works surprisingly well.

you should sell them to audiophools, they will pay hundreds of dollars for wooden knobs because they think it makes their amplifier sound better.
YashN
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Yash's DIY setup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In which can be seen my first DIY project and the accompanying chaos:

The resurrection and improvement of a formerly 'dead' Korg Poly-800, which has become a modular/DIY lab of some sorts and which has got me completely hooked. It has the excellent custom Korg NJM2069 filter, which some have compared to the best CEM/SSM ones.

The Korg is what you see open in 'lab' mode.

Mods performed:
1. Extension of the battery leads and connection to external 9V power supply (resurrection) we're not worthy
2. Cutoff Frequency Pot
3. Resonance Pot
4. 12/24dB Switch
5. Osc1->Cutoff Frequency Pot
6. External Audio Into VCF Osc1 Mix Input Jack
7. External Audio Into VCF Osc2 Mix Input Jack
8. External Cutoff Frequency CV IN Input Jack
9. Osc 2 to Res CV In (on/off, currently just wires hanging out for more experimentation)

Lots of mods still possible and planned or explored, including:

1. Resonance CV IN Input jack
2. Rademacher->Walsh harmonics osc mix
3. External Audio Into VCF #3 - Noise/External Audio Switch and Input Jack
4. Osc1 CV Signal Input Jack
5. Osc2 CV Signal Input Jack
6. VCA CV Signal Input Jack
7. Amp Cross-Mod for Oscs
8. Multi-mode/state-variable Filter (switches/Mix pots)
9. Internal LFO CV to the various mentioned CV INs
10. Chorus board Depth/Speed Pots
11. Chorus board feedback switch/Pot
12. Chorus board Pseudo-Physical Modeling (simple Karplus-Strong) trigger(!)
13. Chorus board LFO CV to internal CV INs
14. Waveform multiplier mod
15. Integration of Expert Sleepers' Silent Way plugin for CV into those new CV IN Input Jacks (didn't manage to get it working on first few tries)

It's a very good synth to start with and this is why:

1. It can be had for cheap as many people think it's damaged forever when it loses its program memory. You just need to transfer the programs again through a wav or mp3 file when the synth is in Tape/Load mode.
2. It has an incredibly powerful filter and has analog signal paths within, so it can sound very good, but...
3. It was intentionally crippled internally by Korg (cost-cutting + 80's digital synth craze)
4. Therefore, there are a lot of potential mods that are initially easy but which open up the possibilities of the synth (i.e. the Moog Slayer and FM-800 mods).
5. It has an unusual but limited 'additive' Osc section based on Rademacher generation/synthesis. I say 'additive' because I am thinking of the usual additive as in sine waves additive, but in fact, Walsh generation removes harmonics when you 'add' more orders of the function. Therefore, doing the External Audio In mods will bring much more to the sound palette in a very easy way.
6. It also has a paraphonic synth architecture, together with a Bucket-Brigade Chorus, so you could get very good classic string sounds with it wink. The synth is not that complex to modify and use, therefore. Putting it into Chord mode allows you to have some monophonic-type of operation.

The way I use this now is:
Kurzweil K2500 Oscs -> Korg Poly-800 External Audio IN -> VCF -> Pro Tools FX (!)

This gets rid of the Osc limitations, the polyphony limitations and the Velocity to OSC amp or Vel-to-other destinations limitations prior to the VCF. Multi-track audio recordings show how much the Korg VCF filter warms things up. applause

So this is my modular setup currently...

The Kurz is an 88-key K2500XS + KDFX. It is a polyphonic semi-modular in itself (but DSP/Digital, not analogue).

You can also see on the lower right: an Arduino kit, which came with a mini-breadboard which makes me feel cramped sometimes.

Not shown:

- an Ensoniq ESQ-1 soon to be 'parted',
- a Yamaha Sy-22 (soon to be parted/sold too - PM me if interested).

Some videos of my summer progress on DIY and the mods are here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yashnu?feature=mhsn

Enjoy!

Last edited by YashN on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
slaughterhousesam
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thats me, right there smile

some eurorack, then the gold and black are diy, as is the 6u off to the right. think im done now....

i hope im done now....

i may not be all that done now...having to slap my own wrist when i catch myself checking out progress on that haible vocoder razz

anyway,

haible:
interpolating scanner x 2
scanner chorus
solina chorus
krautrock phaser
living vco X 2
stormtide flanger
freq shifter

fritz:
teezer x 4
jerkster x2
dual well x 2
threeler

cgs:
bintic x 2
wavefolder
gate logic x 2
slope gen x 2
dual lfo x 2
analog logic
stomp box adaptor x 2
asr
slope detector
wasp filter
active ring mod

yusynth:
panning stereo mixer
fixed filter bank

tellun:
neural agonizer

motm:
440 filter

scott stites:
klee

and a bunch of mixers and attenuators in the gaps.
slaughterhousesam
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the pulse and digitech quad effects are just there to fill the visual gap and stop me plotting to fill it with something else. they arent even plugged in smile
YashN
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With that much, you have to appreciate the curved table smile

Questions: favorite VCO, VCF, VCA, favorite module?
mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yash's DIY setup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

YashN wrote:

Good to see someone else with the PM 0.4s! I have mine in my bedroom and I love em! Have PM05s in my attic studio too. Gonna get Genelics when I have the dosh as I fell in love with them in Uni and found them so easy to mix on!

thumbs up

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

slaughterhousesam wrote:

MY ASS IS BLEEDING wow. beautiful system. looks like it would be wonderful to use. applause we're not worthy

slaughterhousesam wrote:

something wonderful word cannot describe how much this picture pleases me nanners

http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r
slaughterhousesam
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

YashN wrote:
With that much, you have to appreciate the curved table smile

Questions: favorite VCO, VCF, VCA, favorite module?

wrap-round rocks ;P

just out of sight is a big monitor and an el capistan and time factor

fav module is easy - haible freq shifter - that thing is just gorgeous

fav vco is a toss-up between the teezer and the living vco, all depends on mood, theyre quite different.

fav vca - i do like the caustic acid of the threeler, but you cant beat the 440 fatness tbh smile

fav vca - pushing the defintion somewhat, but you can do some nuts things with a fully vc interpolating scanner

im becoming convinced that, if youre doing anything other than straight up subtractive, fixed ffb modules are as essential as vcas - and the yusynth is a pearl
savage_vomit
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WOW
slaughterhousesam
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my hit/miss ratio on all that was unbelivable.

every module worked first time (pending calibration)

only toasted one pcb, a 4 stage cgs folder (6 stage one ended up behind the panel), and thats only because i was testing it bare on the lid of the monster base from an existing psu, and cable tension slid it off the cardboard it was sitting on right over the metal edging of the base case lid - shorts everywhere.

replaced all the ics on that, but it never showed a glimmer of life again.

but it never get mounted behind a panel so doesnt really count in the loss column smile
YashN
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yash's DIY setup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was actually out to get some KRK Rokit pair, but then I compare the sound and the soundstage of the Fostex to others and I was satisfied. Compact, powerful, seemed colorless and balanced, superb soundstage, got those and they're still going strong.

mckenic wrote:

Good to see someone else with the PM 0.4s! I have mine in my bedroom and I love em! Have PM05s in my attic studio too. Gonna get Genelics when I have the dosh as I fell in love with them in Uni and found them so easy to mix on!
thumbs up

Last edited by YashN on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this is where i build stuff, rather than my synth setup. Ikea expedit shelves bolted together and bolted to some legs and the wall. ikea drawer thingy.
self made table part.

Light was adapted from something a neighbor threw out. those are chinese ebay LED bulbs!

6 pictures stitched with microsoft ICE,

there are a bunch of component drawers and stuff on the other side of the door.

I am building a little utility module with just the basics, as well as a power outlets, amplifier/speaker and stuff. will be a panel on one of the shelf boxes.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cozy...
gigasturtz
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

must post more before i can post images.
gigasturtz
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

want.... to.... show.... you....

well, I guess I can explain first. I started building my modules a few months ago. So far all I have been making are Ray Wilson's designs from MFOS. I bought a couple of boards from him (VCO and power supply) but for the most part I have been etching my own boards. I have also been making my front plates out of acrylic, using a laser cutter at LVL1 (a hackerspace in louisville, ky where I live). I have a VCO, a dual LFO, and a dual VCA done (the VCA needs fixing....) and a dual ASDR alllllmost done. Pic to follow!
gigasturtz
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

aaaaannnnnnd here it is!

I just ordered a board for the MFOS 10 step sequencer as well.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow that picture almost fooled me, floating parts! Nice job, gigasturtz
Cable
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

zthee wrote:

I need a wider lens. w00t

Oh that little lonely module in that little boat, it was lovely to try it out on norberg!
Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you are a windows user, there is a thing from microsoft called ICE which is free. i just dragged a bunch of photos i took in sequence, and did NOTHING ELSE and it stitched this up for me.

and there is my modular asking for more stuff with all that empty space!

Sebo
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi:
Here is a video interview to my band, showing my DIY Modular Synth.
Some nice shots!!!

Hope you like it!!!

Sebo

http://www.cosaquitosenglobo.com.ar
streetspirit
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

absolutely love this diy section. these systems are inspiring. just build my first kit from MFOS this month. got the diy itch now... gonna build some euro modules now i think.
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dunno if these pix can give a good impression of my obsession... its much worse than it looks, the cupboard is packed with all kinds of archaic electronica - 1000s of tube, old dials, etc recycled from old lab gear.....crap really
note the panel on the chair ready to be almost sat on, in timeless muffwiggler fashion

DIY stuff

LoFi Junglist
Wired for sound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wooden tube amp?
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LoFi Junglist wrote:
Wooden tube amp?

another bit of diy, i love it, loud enough for me and has worked perfectly for years. its a bit dangerous tho, lots of holes with 400V lurking inside waiting for prying fingers. -

DIY stuff

LoFi Junglist
Wired for sound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It great, the power transformer looks Awesome...

It's like 1/4 of the size of the CRO hihi
sduck
WTF?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AndrewF is my hero!!! woah
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol At least in the sense of how NOT to do diy

I need a shed

DIY stuff

analog604
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I updated the diy workbench using chunks of metal bolted together into the shape of a desk tier :

Provides more surface area to test circuits with the bench PSU and o'scope (not pictured). This is getting use as I focus more debugging the modules being built!

On the bench here: MFOs VCO and MOTM-960 power adapter board mounted to a 19" perforated steel panel

-J
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

your parts bins are inspiring. I only have two cases but they are all labeled and sorted. I don't know how you do it without labels. reading resistor colors is boring for me. I spent a whole day stocking my parts bins and labeling them. that is love for DIY.
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the workbench:

storage & drillpress:

parts bins

please email (rather than PM) with any direct correspondence
burdij
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This view is a bit dated. Since taking it I have added a Wavetek sweep generator and an HP DVM.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fluxmonkey wrote:
the workbench:

storage & drillpress:

parts bins

that looks like a great workshop, i would be very happy in there

DIY stuff

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

burdij wrote:
This view is a bit dated. Since taking it I have added a Wavetek sweep generator and an HP DVM.

some groovy vintage lab gear love

DIY stuff

kupfer_m
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="fluxmonkey"]the workbench:

Nice "SuperSaw" you have! hihi
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kupfer_m wrote:
Nice "SuperSaw" you have! hihi

played w/ a bow, it really cuts thru the mix screaming goo yo

please email (rather than PM) with any direct correspondence