MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listen to Wiggler Radio - Click Here

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
ARP Axxe Repair Thread (was Cleaning Vintage (Arp) Sliders)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author ARP Axxe Repair Thread (was Cleaning Vintage (Arp) Sliders)
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: ARP Axxe Repair Thread (was Cleaning Vintage (Arp) Sliders) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Greetings, I'm sorry if this subject has been talked about to death on various sites. I've been doing some research into how to best clean some sliders on an Arp Axxe and there's a million different methods so I'd love some advice, preferably from people who have experience with this sort of thing thumbs up

Anyway, like I said, I have an old Arp Axxe that is in need of a cleaning. At the moment I'm going for improvement, not necessarily a new feeling synth.

It seems like the best method, and the one endorsed by the legendary Kevin Lightner is to use pressurized soft water and then air dry the board. This is not really an option for me. I don't have the resources to do this so I'd prefer not to try. I know I could unsolder the sliders and wash them by hand but again, I'd like to try to avoid this..

I suppose I could get some bottled water and wash the entire board in a big pan and dry it with either compressed air or gently with a blow dryer. Thoughts on that? I do have some concern about not completely drying the board and something rusting (or worse)..

Buying replacement sliders is out of the question right now as I'd like to try to DIY it. And Yes, I've worked on synths before..

Anyway, moving on..

There's the Isopropyl Alcohol method. I have 91% Isoprophyl Alcohol and could clean the sliders with a q-tip or even a syringe. I am concerned with residue not evaporating and being left in the slider shaft though. Still, people seemed to of successfully used this method to clean there Oddys (see AH).

I don't want to do the Deoxit thing after reading some horror stories (and since it really won't clean out the sliders very well but just moved the gunk around).

Also..

After I'm done I assume that I'll need some fader lube. What are peoples' opinions of GC Luberex, Caig Fader Grease, or Caig Fader Lube?

Thanks for Reading!

Last edited by valis on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i am in the exact same boat and would love input as well. my axxe and little brother need a good slider cleaning/lube. anybody?
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, two Oregonians with some dirty Axxes..
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i heard the only way to really refurb them is to desolder, dissasemble, clean (scrub), relube, reassemble, re-solder

and it sounds like a PITA

im not sure if squirting any kind of liquid into them is going to help

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luka wrote:
i heard the only way to really refurb them is to desolder, dissasemble, clean (scrub), relube, reassemble, re-solder

and it sounds like a PITA

im not sure if squirting any kind of liquid into them is going to help

i SO don't want that to be true, but i have heard the same. very frustrating

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i was going to do this for a friend until i learnt the process :(
(which i heard from our local synth tech guru)

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's KL cleaning an Odyssey with water. It looks like a great method but I'm not sure how I'd get the water pressure (or if there's anywhere in town that has softened pressurized water)..

I really don't want to take those sliders apart, or at least not without some practice..
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are the faders on an Axxe "carbon compound faders?"
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmmm. that looks scary.
JohnLRice
Howl at the Moon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FWIW . . .

You could try Caig FaderLube:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f

This page has a link to a PDF that gives some usage instructions:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.I/id.52/.f?sc=17&category=-117

dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh john thanks for that. i hope that it will do the trick. i am talking to my local techs about their thoughts.
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let me know what your tech say. I'm going with some fader lube and some Isoprophyl Alcohol, as recommended by Tim Servo..

http://old.nabble.com/Anyone-find-a-good-lube-for-arp-odyssey-style-sl iders--td8878179.html#a8895795

I'd be all about the water method if I had pressurized soft water and a thorough way of quickly drying the board (Oregon in November isn't really a good place for anything to dry)..

JohnLRice wrote:
FWIW . . .

You could try Caig FaderLube:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f

This page has a link to a PDF that gives some usage instructions:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.I/id.52/.f?sc=17&category=-117

Anybody have any experience with Caig FaderLube? There seems to of be some horror stories over at AH regarding using Deoxit..
Reptil
In space no one can hear you wiggle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

when the fader is clean the lub e is excellent.
I got some spare faders this weekend, but I'm interested in cleaning
+1 that Odyssee in the shower looks scary eek! help

Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

valis wrote:
Damn, two Oregonians with some dirty Axxes..

I've got 'em beat...I'm one Marylander with two dirty Axxes..

If anyone gives this a go, let me know how it works out. I'm going to spring for new keyboard bushings soon for both of them and my (broken) Minimoog. I was thinking of just going ahead at some point and getting new sliders altogether...but that would be about $229 + shipping from the UK, or $319 + shipping if I got enough to do my ARP Sequencer, too. Still, that's not a bad price considering it's only about $4.90 per slider for the AXXE with 23 sliders total (this is based on the kits from http://www.synthrestore.co.uk/products.htm which are out of stock until Dec '09).

Add about $46 for keyboard bushings per AXXE and $50 for the Minimoog...about $500 total to refurbish 2 AXXE, 1 Minimoog (not including its malfunctioning PSU or any other needed replacement parts) and 1 Sequencer.

Last edited by emdot_ambient on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just gave the Axxe a shower yesterday and *knock on wood* everything appears to be good. The sliders feel a lot better but I'm waiting for some Fader Lube to come in the mail before I reassemble to unit and give it a full test..
dude
fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

valis wrote:
I just gave the Axxe a shower yesterday and *knock on wood* everything appears to be good. The sliders feel a lot better but I'm waiting for some Fader Lube to come in the mail before I reassemble to unit and give it a full test..

cheers,

uz gotz ballz.

respek!

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dude wrote:

uz gotz ballz.

Lol, that much is true!

I've been detailing my adventures with the Axxe and some of my other synths on my pretty lame blog:

http://obsolete-synthesis.blogspot.com/

I haven't updated it to reflect the bath since I'm waiting for the FaderLube to come in the mail. Still, There's some info on disassembling the case and cleaning the keys, case, etc. I'm certainly no great expert so take everything with a grain of salt if, you're interested enough to look..
scozbor
100th Member!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes I have a roland sh3a. the filter does not work any more.

more precisely, the resonance does not seem to work. the cutoff acts like a volume knob. The filter still passes audio though.

i'm wondering if it's just the fader....
emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

valis wrote:
...http://obsolete-synthesis.blogspot.com/

That email from KL is most reassuring. I'm pretty sure I'll do the same thing...let us know how it goes, though; I"ll still let you be the guinea pig

lol
emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

valis wrote:
...http://obsolete-synthesis.blogspot.com/

Oh...As you mention, the AXXE's circutry is very simple. Ever considered modding it? Seems to me it would be fairly easy to make the thing semi-modular. I've seen one online that had that done, have always thought about doing some of that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: