MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
3D Printer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author 3D Printer
qfactor
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: 3D Printer Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess with the prices of 3D printers coming down to "consumer" levels, we could be expecting "printing" our own knobs or panels for our DIYs eh? nanners
Kytopia
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funny, I just ordered a leapfrog 3d printer and had this in mind for one pf its purposes. Will try how it works with frontplates, might be the perfect DIY companion!
qfactor
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kytopia wrote:
Funny, I just ordered a leapfrog 3d printer and had this in mind for one pf its purposes. Will try how it works with frontplates, might be the perfect DIY companion!

How much is this particular 3D printer going for nowadays?
kuxaan-sum
best wiggler ever!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have access to one and was hoping to find or make some files for panels.
Looking to print some custom blanks.

Cloud
Tape
Tube
daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's a huge difference in output quality and resolution between the expensive commercial 3D printers and the cheap hobbiest type of 3D printers (like Makerbot). The pro machines could probably do some really nice knobs and panels. The cheap ones will make something coarse and textured. I'm sure it would be cool. But don't expect results that look like commercial panels and knobs.

Take a good look at close-up photos of the output from the cheaper printers.

bookends
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

https://www.lulzbot.com/?q=blog%2Freddit-3d-printing-contest-musical-i ntstruments
Igor Berlin
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Panels are just 2 dimensional plates, so a milling cutter would be of much more use, especially because you can use it on a variety of materials, whereas a 3D Printer will only give you one plastic/ rubbery material to work with (talking about sub $10.000 Printers).

Wouldn't put my hopes up too much for knobs neither, since they are much to coarse as mentioned above.

www.utopb.com
webb
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can smooth that coarse appearance by using acetone or sanding them down slightly.
sgnelson
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got a consumer 3d printer on order, and I have access to a number of the high end 3d printers (including one that does stainless steel).

Yes, the consumer one's are not quite as nice as the professional level ones, but they're actually quite impressive at the quality that you can get out of them now a days. The thing is too, the technology, materials and quality are improving every single month along with a corresponding drop in price. (as an example, check out the Form One, that thing is sweet.)

In another 5 years, I predict the only difference between pro and consumer level printers will be the materials they can handle (Metals require vacuums, high power, expensive base material, and timely and costly post-processing). But if you want plastic models, even the cheapest of the new 3d printers aren't too bad.

I too have plans for my own knobs and to make some 3 dimensional blank panels.

3d printers are awesome. nanners

edit: not

Last edited by sgnelson on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kytopia
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the one I bought is this one: https://www.lpfrg.com/

it has 2 extruderheads and supposedly is one of the more stable machines out there. it cost me about 1800 euros including taxes, I'm very curious how it will perform. I will be running a few tests when I have it, including faceplates, knobs and lego cubes (just for the hell of it). if the faceplate production works well, this will be a very low-cost and time efficient alternative. if people are interested I'll keep you guys posted on its performance and use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: