MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Please join us at NAMM! MW will be hosting a booth and we would like to invite all manufacturers small and large to join us. We are delighted to support this scene and help provide booth space for anyone who wants to show off their gear and partake in the company of the best group of folks on earth. Please email [email protected] to discuss details. Hope to see you there!

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Granular euro - godsend, or largely pointless?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Granular euro - godsend, or largely pointless?
theglyph
Maybe it was eat me?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phonogene?
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love grain delays, also having some cv control over jitter also, pitch envelopes of the grains is really nice, would love connecting it up to pp+brains with the pp modulations controlling different resynthesis parameters and also a rené to control a 1/voct pitch transpose input.

And about the "there's no point in having one because you can do it on a computer"... Sell your modular. You can do all of it on a computer.

But seriously... I think it's what won't come to mind until I work with a modular granular processor for a while that'll be really interesting.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Veqtor wrote:
And about the "there's no point in having one because you can do it on a computer"... Sell your modular. You can do all of it on a computer.

Perfectly put.

Having CV control, modular levels, the ability to process CV (now wouldn't that be cool?) all would be nifty. Also pretty expensive, I'm betting.

The Phonogene can make some sort of granular sounds, but it's not doing the same thing as a true granular processor, I think. Not being much of a computer user when it comes to music, I could be quite wrong.
pixelmechanic
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Veqtor wrote:
Sell your modular. You can do all of it on a computer.

Actually, I've just trimmed down from 15u to 6u so that I can focus more on integrating the things that I love about working with Max with the things that I love about (whats left of) my modular.

Over time I've learned how to get pretty close to the instability and sweet-spot-ness of my modular with Max (and also with my MicroMod), and there's just some stuff that I like to be able to do live that I can't conveniently do with a modular... and a serious amount of granular streams is one of them
Monobass
thonk.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope the mobile device version of PD will be offered on the Raspberry Pi.... that could open up a very modular friendly world of high quality/voice computer granulation.
Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm quite fond of the idea of having an actual modular. I could never replace it with a computer. Perhaps it is that I work with computers all the time and want to get away from them when I create. There's something about a computer screen that kind of makes it not-leisure anymore for me. I went from reaktor to REAL modulars so... I'm never going back. w00t
Monobass
thonk.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah me too.. although If I could easily encapsulate a PD or Max patch into a standalone module that would be awesome...
Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andrino and Max?

I'm still a bit naive about all these open source programs. It all seems a bit too geeky for me. I'm researching the whole idea but it seems like a bottomless pit of research. How far does one go before they can use it for compositions?

Granular effects just take me to outer space. I have to have it in my music, there is no doubt.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Fragment Generator is not really granular in the way people are discussing, as in chopping up bits of digital audio. I just got a Tyme Sefari a couple of days ago and am having a lot of fun with it. I know it's not granular either, but it is letting me crudely shuffle and scan through small 8 bit audio samples. The Max 4 Live instrument Granulator is the shit, I doubt we'll see anything that huge in a module any time soon. I'd love something between those 2 extremes at some point for sure!

DGTom (the designer) describes the Fragment Generator:

I could call it a VC Electro Boogie Tom Fill module. . . but I don't think that will help much

its not digital but it can sound very digital.

it isn't a filter, tho it _contains filters_

it's more indebted to the Polyrhythmophone than the 258, but, has more in comman with the TR 808 than either of those.

it is, indeed, a PITA to explain without getting bogged down in technicals, but I'll do my best.

Its a 'voice module' that has VC over Frequency, Amplitude & Timbre built around 3 high Q (ringing) filters which we've called "fragments"

How often, how loudly, at which frequency & at which relative position each fragment 'rings' makes up the sound at any given moment in time.

It can sound like a 500bpm electro breakbeat, like the secret attic offspring of granulab & a CZ-101, make throaty, resonant filter sweepy sounds & insane subsonic, almost DC 'is this shit even on' speaker wobbling waveforms.

its my attempt at Marvel Comics "WHAT IF. . . Granular Synthesis Was Analogue!!?!?!" & is best used while wearing a cape with your undies on the outside of your pants for that very reason!

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
Andrino and Max?

I'm still a bit naive about all these open source programs. It all seems a bit too geeky for me. I'm researching the whole idea but it seems like a bottomless pit of research. How far does one go before they can use it for compositions?

Max, it was about 1-2 hours for me, Arduino maybe more like a day.

How far did you have to go with a modular synth before you used it for a composition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: